Post up your video card collection!!

With me it is not so much a collection per say. More like I have not thrown anything away. You can see the progression.

Same with me. I acquired all of those 3dfx cards from people that didn't want them anymore, or in used PCs. The only one I paid for was the Voodoo5 5500 back in 2003. I bought it off a buddy in high school for $60.

I have tons more video cards (and other things) than just the 3dfx set, which are either my old gaming cards or acquired from used PCs or customers that gave me their old stuff.

My video card progression went something like this:

Matrox G200 + Monster3D Voodoo1 -> Geforce 2 TI -> Radeon 9600 -> Radeon 9800 Pro -> x800 GTO -> 8800GTS G92 -> GTS 250 -> HD5870 -> R9 280x -> GTX 1070 Ti

I still have all of those cards except for the Geforce 2 Ti, x800 GTO and the R9 280x.

The R9 280x died silently one day, I came back from work and the machine it was in was completely dead. Turns out the card, motherboard and PSU had died all at the same time. Thankfully the video card had a lifetime warranty and surprisingly XFX sent out a new in box RX570 as a replacement, I was stunned to say the least. The board and PSU remain dead unfortunately, and I honestly have no idea why. There aren't any sooty skidmarks or burning IC smells anywhere that I can see.

Well here's one, Boxed Elsa Gloria II (original Quadro card based on the GeForce 256 SDR).

LTwb6Fih.jpg

Attachments

• LTwb6Fil.jpg
    LTwb6Fil.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 207
Ok finally found that Integraph Intense 3D.

I always found Rendition's downfall to be quite interesting. Especially the V2200, somehow they managed to be the lowest clocked 350nm chip.

uGakL5Mh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice card. Do not see those often. I am envious. Would buy one just for the Soltek name. They made quality components.

I'm currently looking for a Trident Blade XP (9980) 128-bit card, and also a GammaChrome S18 Pro

What's with the Rage 128? Seems pretty common, no?
It's a Rage Fury MAXX. Has two Rage 128 Pro GPU as we can tell by the dual fans. Another fairly rare card.

erek
will correct me if wrong. I seem to remember they were meant to compete with Voodoo5 but failed since the dual GPU config had issues with Win2k and XP. So Win98 was/is best for performance.

It's a Rage Fury MAXX. Has two Rage 128 Pro GPU as we can tell by the dual fans. Another fairly rare card.

erek
will correct me if wrong. I seem to remember they were meant to compete with Voodoo5 but failed since the dual GPU config had issues with Win2k and XP. So Win98 was/is best for performance.

Makes sense. I couldn't see the model number when zoomed in, just the 128 pro portion.

I remember reading about that card recently as well. Thanks.

I seem to remember they were meant to compete with Voodoo5 but failed since the dual GPU config had issues with Win2k and XP. So Win98 was/is best for performance.

If you look at the routing on the Fury MAXX, you'll notice that both Fury GPUs are placed directly on the AGP bus. This configuration wasn't supported by the then upcoming Windows 2000, which effectively killed the card. If you try to use a fury MAXX in Windows 2k/XP, only one of the GPUs will be utilized. The Fury MAXX is literally two Fury cards glued together, each Fury GPU has its own BIOS and RAM.

Another problem the card had was awful microstuttering due to frame variance. Unlike 3dfx cards that had each GPU render alternate scan lines of the same frame, the Fury MAXX was configured to run in alternate frame rendering mode. While AFR is more efficient, it is much more prone to having frame time problems in fluid loads. You could think of it as a problem of how to get a stable frame output from two different video cards running at constantly differing frame rates.

First 3D card was a Voodoo 1 back in '97. Then a Voodoo 2 in '99. Then a GeForce 2 GTS 32MB in 2000 ($300 at compUSA!), followed by a GeForce 3 Ti 200, then a Radeon 9500 Pro, then a GTS 8600, etc. Except for the Geforce 2 I've really never had a new range GPU. I think the 9500 Pro was the most "fun" card I've had.

All those cards were sold off when the sellin' was good, except for the GTS 8600 256MB that came with my brand spankin' new Dell XPS 410 back in '07. It went tits up.

I'm now running a GTX 750 Ti SC 2GB. It works fine for what I do. Would I rather have a GTX 1080 Ti? Sure. And I will have one. In about two years, LOL.

Only spare cards I have right now are a GT 610 1GB actively cooled, and an NVS 295 256MB passively cooled.

Reactions: erek
like this
I built up a test system for my Voodoo5 5500 and found out it causes system crashes and has green jail bars when SLI is enabled *sigh*.

I'm hoping it's bad capacitors because the ones I pulled off are 10-40 ohm ESR. I hate working with SMD capacitors, they're annoying to remove, even with the pliers twist 90 degree and pull method. Replacing them with radials that have the legs bent into L shapes since it's what I have, and it looks decent.

HdQCf3C.jpg

erek

ATI Rage Maxx was meant to compete against the GeForce 256, but unfortunately, it wasn't cutting it.

Reactions: erek
like this
idk where I got the 2nd one, however, its more than likely I would run these again so its ok

Send it to me, I'll give it some TLC :) (and use it.)

For now this is my video card collection. And another Strix in my main rig.

I think you misread the thread title. This is "Post up your Video card COLLECTIONS", not "dirtbag miners who destroyed the GPU market".

Knowing what I now, I wish I had kept all my video cards and maybe even CPUs from all my builds.

Send it to me, I'll give it some TLC :) (and use it.)

I think you misread the thread title. This is "Post up your Video card COLLECTIONS", not "dirtbag miners who destroyed the GPU market".
I think you need to see a dictionary to understand what collection means.

I think you need to see a dictionary to understand what collection means.

There's a distinct difference of preserving computer history (what we're doing) vs. hoarding of limited resources and harming everyone else (what you're doing.)

Card I want for my nForce2 retro system is a GeForce 7950gt. At $350 used that will not happen anytime soon. Funny how PCIe version sell for $40.

Card I want for my nForce2 retro system is a GeForce 7950gt. At $350 used that will not happen anytime soon. Funny how PCIe version sell for $40.

It's because the 7950GT was never designed to be an AGP card, only a few manufacturers made AGP versions using PCIe to AGP bridge chips.

The 7900gs is a native AGP offering, but it still goes for over $200. 7800gs cards are more affordable, I saw a few for around $50. I have a 7800gs in my video card pile that a friend gave me years ago, it's still a pretty decent performer.

It's because the 7950GT was never designed to be an AGP card, only a few manufacturers made AGP versions using PCIe to AGP bridge chips.

The 7900gs is a native AGP offering, but it still goes for over $200. 7800gs cards are more affordable, I saw a few for around $50. I have a 7800gs in my video card pile that a friend gave me years ago, it's still a pretty decent performer.
You are right of course. My desire for a 7950 is for the fastest AGP available. With exception of HD4670, which as I understand is not Athlon XP compatible.

I do still have the BFG 7800gs shown above. Was/is a great performer. Once I finally got a good one. Can see why BFG went belly up all the problems they had. (2007 thread)

The only interesting GPUs I have are two new-in-the-box still sealed Voodoo 2s I never used.

The rest are just standard fare from over the last two decades.

7800GS is the last (and fastest) nvidia native AGP card. There are some 7900GT/7950GT variants that use a bridge. The 7800/7900 GTX (cause 7900GTX > 7950GT, thanks nvidia) are higher performing, but do not have AGP equivalents, to my knowledge.

You are right of course. My desire for a 7950 is for the fastest AGP available. With exception of HD4670, which as I understand is not Athlon XP compatible.

I do still have the BFG 7800gs shown above. Was/is a great performer. Once I finally got a good one. Can see why BFG went belly up all the problems they had. (2007 thread)

Fastest AGP card is the Radeon HD 3850 AGP. I think the main problem with Athlon XP and bridge AGP cards is the 12V power draw. You can try something cheaper and lower power like a HD 4650/3650.

TBH, the 7800GS is perfect for the application. Unless you're running Windows 98 games, which you'd be suck with a 6800 Ultra.

Yeh, think the company paid a little over 40k for them, hand delivered and installed today...they took a nice NYC subway ride this AM to the Seaport office

I always sell my cards as fast as possible when upgrading.

latest members of the collection, SiS Xabre 600 (extremely rare)

This is very cool! I never saw the 600 model, though I reviewed a Xabre 400 a long time ago.

I don't have any of these cards anymore, but I've got pics of some older boards from when I was doing reviews - hope you guys don't mind if I share. Some are really low res (these were early 2000s, I can't even remember what I was using for a digital camera at that time).

Here's an ELSA GeForce 3 card:
elsacard.jpg

A Hercules GeForce 3 (I forgot that they had this all-blue theme that looked really good!):

hercgf3card.jpg

And one of the stranger beasts I had the privilege to write about, a Hercules Kyro 2 card:

kyro2003.jpg

I unfortunately seem to have lost the pictures I had of the SiS Xabre 400 reference board and a Matrox Parhelia 512. As I recall both had a unique look - the Xabre was a dark army green color, and the Parhelia might have been the first board I recall seeing with the diagonal placement of memory chips onboard. It also used some odd output dongles to be able to do 3 VGA outputs at once, that was their big selling point.

A Crucial-branded Radeon 9800 Pro, and a Radeon 9800 XT reference board (click to embiggen):

c9800pro256_big.jpg

9800xt_big.jpg

Here's a reference GeForce 5900 Ultra, followed by an MSI version (click to embiggen):

5900ultra_big.jpg

msi5900u_big.jpg

And lastly a reference and EVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra (click to embiggen):

6800ultra_big.jpg

evga_6800_ultra.jpg

As I recall those 6800 Ultras ran in my main gaming rig for several years after I wrote about them; they ran early WoW real nice.

The only thing I actually have left that I would consider a display piece is a reference GeForce 6800 card that NVIDIA shipped in an amazing little briefcase, complete with combo lock latch on it. I've had this for 14 years now, and I don't know that I can ever bring myself to part with it - lots of sentimental value in it, one of the last reviews I wrote and one of the last review samples I received - really a favorite to keep sitting on the shelf.

100199_100_4753.jpg

100200_100_4754.jpg

Attachments

• 100199_100_4753.jpg
    100199_100_4753.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 157
  • 100200_100_4754.jpg
    100200_100_4754.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 180
This is very cool! I never saw the 600 model, though I reviewed a Xabre 400 a long time ago.

I don't have any of these cards anymore, but I've got pics of some older boards from when I was doing reviews - hope you guys don't mind if I share. Some are really low res (these were early 2000s, I can't even remember what I was using for a digital camera at that time).

Here's an ELSA GeForce 3 card:
View attachment 99295

A Hercules GeForce 3 (I forgot that they had this all-blue theme that looked really good!):

View attachment 99296

And one of the stranger beasts I had the privilege to write about, a Hercules Kyro 2 card:

View attachment 99297

I unfortunately seem to have lost the pictures I had of the SiS Xabre 400 reference board and a Matrox Parhelia 512. As I recall both had a unique look - the Xabre was a dark army green color, and the Parhelia might have been the first board I recall seeing with the diagonal placement of memory chips onboard. It also used some odd output dongles to be able to do 3 VGA outputs at once, that was their big selling point.

A Crucial-branded Radeon 9800 Pro, and a Radeon 9800 XT reference board (click to embiggen):

View attachment 99304

View attachment 99303

Here's a reference GeForce 5900 Ultra, followed by an MSI version (click to embiggen):

View attachment 99299

View attachment 99300

And lastly a reference and EVGA GeForce 6800 Ultra (click to embiggen):

View attachment 99305

View attachment 99306

As I recall those 6800 Ultras ran in my main gaming rig for several years after I wrote about them; they ran early WoW real nice.

The only thing I actually have left that I would consider a display piece is a reference GeForce 6800 card that NVIDIA shipped in an amazing little briefcase, complete with combo lock latch on it. I've had this for 14 years now, and I don't know that I can ever bring myself to part with it - lots of sentimental value in it, one of the last reviews I wrote and one of the last review samples I received - really a favorite to keep sitting on the shelf.

View attachment 99318

View attachment 99319

wanna sell that 6800 + briefcase?

Here is an xfx 8800gtx with box and accessories...

Attachments

• 20180907_000748.jpg
    20180907_000748.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180907_000821.jpg
    20180907_000821.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180906_234927.jpg
    20180906_234927.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180906_235139.jpg
    20180906_235139.jpg