Post Status Checker (PSC) - VGA Light Stuck On but everything is fine?

III_Slyflyer_III

[H]ard|Gawd
On an Asrock X99 OC Formula, I have UEFI enabled and the PC boost just fine.

I can get into the BIOS, I can use Windows, I can Game... yadda yadda, works perfectly, always has...

However; for years I have had to use the CSM simply because the VGA Light on the PSC is ALWAYS ON if I use UEFI, even though everything works fine in either mode. No issues, no crashes, flawless.

The light is extremely annoying, and according to the description of the PSC, should not even be on! So I use CSM as the light goes off in that mode.

Anyone ever run into this before and were you able to fix it? Ideally, I want to use UEFI.

2.9 Post Status Checker
Post Status Checker (PSC) diagnoses the computer when users power on the
machine. It emits a red light to indicate whether the CPU, memory, VGA or storage
is dysfunctional. he lights go of if the four mentioned above are functioning
normally.

These types of devices/features usually work by monitoring the I/O bus for certain checkpoint values that the firmware pushes out as it progresses through the boot code. For whatever reason your board's firmware stops pushing checkpoints after the CPU and RAM are initialized unless it's in CSM mode (or pushes different values than expected). I'd put a piece of black tape over them if they bugged me.

Yeah, I mean I can put some black electrical tape over it, but it bugs me knowing that something is up... I have tried every damn settings and monitor trick to get that red light to go away.

It must be firmware or something; because in CSM mode, I can see my vbios date using AIDA64, if I use UEFI, it shows as N/A, which leads me to believe, for whatever reason, in UEFI mode the system is not detecting video properly to start, even though everything works perfectly fine.

My PC (asus x570-f, Ryzen 5800 formerly 3800, 3070 formerly 2080S) has always beeped at POST like no video card is installed. Multiple bios revisions, two video cards, two CPU. PSU is an rm750i.

any cold boot and it just starts beeping like hell and then boom I’m in windows. I’ve never understood it. No crashing. No rebooting. No issues period. Just every cold boot it beeps like hell as if no graphics card is installed and a white VGA light also shines bright for me lmao

i finally quit worrying about it

Yeah, I mean I can put some black electrical tape over it, but it bugs me knowing that something is up... I have tried every damn settings and monitor trick to get that red light to go away.

It must be firmware or something; because in CSM mode, I can see my vbios date using AIDA64, if I use UEFI, it shows as N/A, which leads me to believe, for whatever reason, in UEFI mode the system is not detecting video properly to start, even though everything works perfectly fine.

Expansion ROMS (like a vBIOS or a RAID configuration module) aren't typically loaded in UEFI mode since the features they provide are built-in or can be dynamically added. CSM mode dumps all the advanced UEFI features and turns the system into a dumb BIOS machine, so expansion ROMS are needed to provide access to hardware that wasn't around when the 286 was popular.

ASRock just didn't design the PSC to account for different UEFI boot process. If you want UEFI, and everything works fine, turn on UEFI and be happy. :D

Yeah, I ran quite a few CPU & Video card tests, just to verify there is not issues and no performance gain or loss with either mode, it just bugged the living hell out of me knowing that damn light was on... lol. Google led me to people like everyone here saying "I just ignore it now or tape over it". Some people who had solutions did not work for me (mainly issues with monitors being detected there I think).

In the end, unless I come across a reason that I need "Secure Boot" or "Above 4G Decoding" while still on this platform; I can't think of any reason to not just use CSM (which keeps the light off) and not worry about it I guess. If the time comes I need to use the pure UEFI for any features, I'll electrical tape the light over I guess. I had created my Windows 10 install with GPT and UEFI enabled, so I can go back and forth with the flick of a BIOS/UEFI setting.

Unless anyone here has a compelling reason to use one over the other? I simply use this PC for pure gaming performance only.

Back