Post PICs of your old cards!

What did the "TURBO" button actually do? I had an old (New at the time though) 486 SX 33MHz VERY LARGE FULL TOWER CASE AST computer back in 1993 that had this button on it, but nothing really made a difference.

all i know is that when i was on my cousins, all that turbo button did was make it not crash.. :p

What did the "TURBO" button actually do? I had an old (New at the time though) 486 SX 33MHz VERY LARGE FULL TOWER CASE AST computer back in 1993 that had this button on it, but nothing really made a difference.

It was basically an overclocking button. From what I can recall you had to push it before you turned on your PC, and if you did it'd overclock your processor automatically. I remember having to have it set to play DOOM back in the day.

Turning off the turbo button allowed for compatibility mode for software that was written for processors of a certain slower speed grade than that of the machine that had the turbo button. It was not an overclocking tool and the method used to accomplish compatibility mode varied a bit including cpu frequency adjustment, issuing wait states, etc.

Turning off the turbo button allowed for compatibility mode for software that was written for processors of a certain slower speed grade than that of the machine that had the turbo button. It was not an overclocking tool and the method used to accomplish compatibility mode varied a bit including cpu frequency adjustment, issuing wait states, etc.
yeah it was more or less ment to make a 486 more compatible with software that was written for a 386, in the days befor virtual threading , the apps where run and controlled directly by the processor, becuase of this and the way the 486 worked, it was capable of compleating some software steps befor others, without the correct stop commands, it would execute the programing out of order... yeah.. it messed with stuff

turbo buttons ftw :D

on with the old gfx glory

Guillemot maxi gamer cougar ...what a name !!
was sold with a p3 800mhz setup
heatsink is from a p2

oldgfx20.jpg

artistic view...

oldgfx21.jpg

Gravis Ultrasound, Full-length ISA, circa 1992.
Still have the 3.5" install packs and the cables laying around somewhere. GF8800 GTX... eat your heart out. This thing is huge! :)

f506a5a12e.jpg

Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 with Yamaha XG-Midi Daughterboard, Full-length ISA, circa 1994
The familiar SB16 hardware... with a bonus! A daughterboard containing hardware XG-Midi DSP for recording & playback during those late night recording sessions on a Yamaha keyboard. :)

9c5c18986b.jpg

Cirrus Logic CL-GD5422 VGA video card with 512 KB output buffer, Half-Length ISA, circa 1992
Sentimental value. My first discrete video card. How far have we come... :)

0882fe326b.jpg

Built-By-ATI Xpert@Play 98, 4 MB (with additional 4 MB memory daughterboard), PCI, circa 1998
Anyone who has owned an ATI Rage-based product remembers driver hell from that period. :) Ahh... the gimmick that was Rage Pro TURBO! :) This card originally came with 4 MB of memory, but with the daughterboard, you could upgrade it to 8 MB! :) Complete with S-Video output & Composite output.

b4b231877e.jpg

Diamond Monster 3D (Voodoo 1), 4 MB, PCI, circa 1996
My first true 3D accelerator. Glide games had met their match... at least at that time. :) It was paired with the card above. :) Still works to this day. :)

685a1fc9c2.jpg

Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS (GeForce 2 GTS NV15), 32 MB, AGP, circa 2000
Not really that old (compared to a lot in this thread), but the blue PCB definately set this sucker apart. :) Ahh... fixed-function DX7.. and toying with the Detonator 30 series! :)

7ea7e78a33.jpg

Hayes 2400-Baud Modem, ISA, with fully functional Windows 3.1 driver in retail packaging, circa 1993
First saw the Internet through this baby. Ooo... 2400 certainly was fast back then on CompuServe. :) Nevermind the Datapac local access number and busy signals from hell. :)

51a0dde2e0.jpg

US Robotics Sportster 14.4 Kbps Modem, ISA, circa 1995
Wow, what a step up! :) AO-Hell & the Electronic Arts BBS's in California (oo... gotta love International long-distance charges). Still have the QuickLink II Software and Trumpet WinSock kicking around for use on Windows 3.1. :)

2522951546.jpg

4/8 MB Single-Sided & 16/32 MB Dual-Sided 72-Pin SIMMS, circa 1992
Blast from the past! I know... can't compete with the 30-pin pictures up here, but I'll post this anyways. Kingston, Crucial, PNY. Some USED to work, but that was years ago. Might fire up MemTest on a P233 MMX tonight. :)

c0a5febbb6.jpg

The Beastie! (\\HyperBlast), circa 1993 - 2003
It started life in 1993.. as a clone Intel 386 SX-16 (hooray for no FPU lol)... slowly being upgraded to an Intel 486 DX2-66 (yay FPU) before being overhauled with a lame PCChips M560 board & a P166 MMX. The last touch was the addition of more RAM and the 233 MMX. :) Not bad for a 10-year run. :) Both of those built-in speakers STILL work, and were wired DIRECTLY to a daughterboard inside the case that interfaced with the soundcard through a rear-port passthru.

Final Stats:
Intel Pentium 233 MMX P55C
PCChips M560 (Aladdin 5 Chipset by ALI: 2xSDRAM, 4xEDO, 4 PCI, 3 ISA)
384 MB RAM (2x128 MB 168-pin PC66 SDRAM & 4x32 MB 72-pin EDO DRAM)

2x 27.2 GB Maxtor DiamondMax 6800 HDD's, UDMA66

PCI Expansion:
ATI Xpert@Play 98 8 MB PCI
ABIT Hot-Rod 366 UDMA66 PCI IDE Controller
2 PCI NIC's (AOpen 10/100 & Intel Pro/100 PCI)

ISA Expansion:
1 ISA NIC (3Com Etherlink III)
KTX 56K Hardware Modem, ISA
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 w/ XG-Midi Daughterboard, ISA

8x Sony CD-ROM (pretty sure... could have been a Mitsumi).

200W HEC AT PSU (with the hard-wired switch) :)

14" SVGA... Low Radiation! (hey, 1024x768@32 ran) :)

FUNCTIONAL Turbo Button (dropped it from 233 to 66 MHz). :)

This thing managed to handle Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition as a Domain Controller, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, WINS, RAS, HTTP, FTP, MySQL, PHP & Printer server until the blackout of August 14th, 2003 took out the PSU. I took her out of service at that point, but the system did fire up with another PSU, so it's still good. :)

987a7b17e6.jpg

Wish I had my old cards. My first one was a Triton (Sp)? 1 MB. That was 2d. First 3d was an ATI LT Rage Pro 4MB (or 8). After that I bought a voodoo 2 at sam's club. Never bought a second one. Next was a Hercules TNT2 Ultra. Geforce 3 MX 400. Geforce 4 TI 4200. Geforce 5900 NU. Radeon X800 Pro. XFX 7800 GT Extreme. XFX 7900 GT Extreme. XFX 7950 GT 512 Extreme. EVGA 8800 GTS 640.

Never really a fan of either ATI or Nvidia. I just buy whatever is best for the lowest price in the just below high end range.

Canopus003.jpg

All Canopus:
2*Pure 3D II Voodoo 2's with I believe stealth coolers
1*Spectra 2500 (TNT) card with internal connector for the Voodoo 2 cards (aka witchdoctor). Which meant no external wires:)
I paid a small fortune at the time for making minimum wage but man was it worth it.

[IG]http://webpages.charter.net/lordgestle/Canopus003.jpg[/IMG]
All Canopus:
2*Pure 3D II Voodoo 2's with I believe stealth coolers
1*Spectra 2500 (TNT) card with internal connector for the Voodoo 2 cards (aka witchdoctor). Which meant no external wires:)
I paid a small fortune at the time for making minimum wage but man was it worth it.

I've never haerd of 'Witch Dr." what was it?

Just another name for the internal passthrough cable. With the standard Voodoo 2 and 2d video card solution it required an external dongle but with the Witch Doctor solution it was internal if both products were canopus. That and you gained TV-Out of the voodoo 2 if you utilized that feature.
More information here as I forgot all the marketing terms:
http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/canopus.htm

I really love this thread. I'll post some pics soon, but I love looking at all these cards.

Does this...

..count as a pic of my old card? Sapphire r9500 (softmoddable) formerly in use in my backup system blew through a trace 6+ months back. Well, yesterday I got sick of the dead card taking up space, so I thought I could use another add-on to my keyring. T'was a pita sawing through the soldering/pins underneath (with a kitchen knife :p) to separate from the PCB, but the drilling of the hole was easy as pie.

Does this...

[IG]http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/2380/r9500chain1pa2.jpg[/IMG]

..count as a pic of my old card? Sapphire r9500 (softmoddable) formerly in use in my backup system blew through a trace 6+ months back. Well, yesterday I got sick of the dead card taking up space, so I thought I could use another add-on to my keyring. T'was a pita sawing through the soldering/pins underneath (with a kitchen knife :p) to separate from the PCB, but the drilling of the hole was easy as pie.

Reminds me of my Pentium II Keychain: (I recommend sanding the bottom down with a belt sander like I did on mine)

pentiumiikeychain_001.jpg

pentiumiikeychain_002.jpg

pentiumiikeychain_003.jpg

Because it was crap.

Actually it was a solid little card with good drivers, I had one paired up with a Voodoo II. Didn't set the world on fire but was certainly better then other stuff out there.

The problem with intel was they were pushing the AGP interface and moving textures across the AGP bus was "the way it was suppose to be" Intel never suspected that video ram would drop so radically in price making the whole concept of storing textures in main memory a joke.

How about this for an old card?...

CIMG0822.jpg

CIMG0821.jpg

The famous FX type card... FX 5500 256mb AGP. 4 pixel pipes!!

The bottom one is a BFG 7800GT-OC. What a great little card that was. Kinda wishing I hadn't sold it.:(

Top one is a 640Mb 8800GTS. Awesome card.:)

Gonna see if I still have any pics of my 9800 pro with teh Swiftech MCW-50 sitting on it. Now that was a long lived (and abused) card!

traitors! :p :p

new cards came out and people still dont have old cards to post pics with :(

aalchemy_quad.jpg

Someone say old cards?

Four Quantum3D VSA-100 based 8164 boards with 8 GPU's each.

When I see people referring to 7800GT as "old" it makes me want to dig out my Paradise VGA card. 256 colors, baby!

yeah.. the 7800 gt is not old, and is still a decent enough performer.
When referring to the GTX card, thats an understatement. My main gaming machine still has a 7800 and I still don't own a game that I cant put everything on full yet.

Hey if anyone thinks their 7800 is old, by all means stick it in a UPS package and I'll throw it in my rig. It sure beats out a 7300 gt Im using :)

Back