Post Black Friday discussion goes here!

If you want to know how Black Friday goes for a college student with almost no money:

I made it to CompUSA at 6:04AM, looking for the $30 60GB hard drives. I noticed that there were 5 or 6 80GB drives that people had snatched almost as soon as I saw them and people had death grips on them. I only saw one 60GB drive and grabbed it since I figured it would make a good christmas present, although it only had the 2MB buffer (the ad said 8MB).

Saw about a dozen of the 6800's left and a few of the 17 inch LCD's (got to see a fight over those almost), but am too poor for either.

While I was waiting in line the people behind me told me they only had 1 or 2 60GB drives and they were substituting the 80GB drives (with the 8MB buffers) for the same price. Looked on the shelf but they were all gone, but the nice people gave me one of thiers as they had 2 in the cart. The 60GB drive rang up for $30 and the 80GB drive rang up for $20! Total of $53 (and dont have to wait on rebates). The 60GB is wrapped sitting under the tree while the 80GB is my main drive now (paired with a 40GB slave).

Went to Best Buy about 7:15, and found what I was looking for real quick: the 24 Season 1 box set for $13. Waited over an hour to check out but got to flirt with the girl behind me the entire time so that was funner than I had expected.

MeanieMan said:
BestBuy dropped off my 52" TV today. I've spent the last couple of months watching a pink 13" Hello Kitty TV, so this monster will always be welcome in my home.

http://img26.exs.cx/img26/689/CIMG2413.jpg
http://img26.exs.cx/img26/7659/CIMG2407.jpg

I used S-video to get my desktop on the TV, it is blurry as heck.
I'm using a 9800 pro. Do i need one of those AIW cards with the composite outputs to fix this? :confused:
Do those cards even have composite outputs?

yes, an AIW card will have component outputs... to do it from a 9800 pro, ud need to get a dvi to component adapter like -> http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2537967..

staying on topic... i culdnt buy nething.. i was working at Circuit City during this insane sale event :( ... being to work @ 5AM is not kewl..

wayne said:
i dunno... but just as a precaution, next time dont get greedy, just get one thing at a time so theres enough for everyone else ;)

Wasn't greedy :p. If I pick up two of something, its usually something my dad would like and couldn't pick up. I just used my dad's reciept to stay on the safe side.

Got the wireless working with my new notebook on campus, now to call Mediacom so I can have cable access at my apartment.

ScHpAnKy said:
again I ask.. what were the 6800's going for?
compusa had last Friday-Saturday: PNY 6800 $229 after $70 instant savings - $30 MIR = $199AR + tax

best buy still has the BFG 6800 OC with Far Cry in the box + HL2 (separate) through this Saturday for $299.99 + $54.99 - 10% off on video card ($29.99) - $105 MIR = $220AR + tax

Overall very content with my first BF.

Grabbed the CUSA 6800 and Staples Proview 17inch lcd for $400.00.

Went to the doc for a back spasm and have good drugs to enjoy my new toys :)

I didn't do much. I just went to Fry's around 7pm-ish (short lines then). What I got and what I wanted:

Got:
3/L.E.D. Flashlight (similiar to Innova) $6.99 NR
50pk DVD-R's - $17 NR
512mb Compact Flash - $7 AR

Didn't Get :( :
Samsung 910n Monitor, 19inch FP - $375 AR

They were sold out of the monitor, it sucked too, because they amped the sale by putting doom on it (which looked great). 800:1 contrast, 25ms response. Couldn't go wrong. I was walking by the computer area and saw Doom3 and the monitor, I was like "Well damn, that's a big monitor". Then I realized it was the one I was there for, lol :) No luck though. They tried to push me onto the Sony 19inch. But the Black/Glass Bezel was way too wide for me. Since they had a couple pallets left, I figured a majority had also passed on that offer.

Nothing else really perked my interests. They had lots of great deals, including WD 200gb HD's for $200. But Fry's always has good deals on Friday. It's Fryday!

They also had a Samsung 12ms 700:1, 17inch Flat Panel for $250 AR. But I didn't want a 17in (was going to go 19in and move my 18in to secondary). Also in the FP area they had a non-name-brand FlatPanel 17inch w/12 (or 25)ms for $170 AR.

undyingshadow said:
After deciding I didn't wanna try and fight the lines and stupid people in Tyler or Longview, my wife and I (and a friend) decided to head up to Dallas to hit the plano fry's.

What a clusterfark!

Ouch!

I figured Plano was gonna be a CF so I headed north to McKinney and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Still happy that I got the $500 laptop!

M4tt said:
Overall very content with my first BF.

Grabbed the CUSA 6800 and Staples Proview 17inch lcd for $400.00.

Went to the doc for a back spasm and have good drugs to enjoy my new toys :)
haha content with your first BoyFriend? lols

yea, my back hurted too cus i was running around bestbuy carrying a UPS and a dvd player and a couple games trying to get more stuff :D

using one of the $200 ProView 17" LCD/'s from Staples, and it works very good for the price... not as nice as my Samsung, but nice none-the-less.

QJ

QwertyJuan said:
using one of the $200 ProView 17" LCD/'s from Staples, and it works very good for the price... not as nice as my Samsung, but nice none-the-less.

QJ

I have a 2001fp as my primary and yeah I can tell a difference but happy with a dual setup.

Back