Post a screenshot of your linux!

PBSxfKT.png

Well, Bullet was right in the long run. I've decided to ditch Cinnamon, because while I love the idea of it, it really needs a lot more polish. There is just too much jank to use it daily, especially with the issues Muffin has with NVIDIA hardware. So, I'm back on Gnome. After giving it a more fair shake than I have in the past, I have to say that I'm really liking it. And yes, give me all the grief you want about making it look like Windows, but that's the desktop style I personally like the most. ;)

PBSxfKT.png

Well, Bullet was right in the long run. I've decided to ditch Cinnamon, because while I love the idea of it, it really needs a lot more polish. There is just too much jank to use it daily, especially with the issues Muffin has with NVIDIA hardware. So, I'm back on Gnome. After giving it a more fair shake than I have in the past, I have to say that I'm really liking it. And yes, give me all the grief you want about making it look like Windows, but that's the desktop style I personally like the most. ;)

Lunar, there's nothing wrong with customising your OS to behave and look in a manner that relates to what you're used to - The beauty of Linux is the customisation options, in fact the options in general, are endless! Good job my friend.

I used Gnome for a while, it didn't really tickle my fancy and the variant I used had issues with my laptop - They were all concerns that could have been rectified, but I switched to KDE on my lappy and have to say I'm absolutely loving it - No issues at all and a remarkably beautiful experience, very similar to what you see in Frobozz's screenshot.

I still love MATE for my desktop however, love my MATE DE...

Lunar, there's nothing wrong with customising your OS to behave and look in a manner that relates to what you're used to - The beauty of Linux is the customisation options, in fact the options in general, are endless! Good job my friend.

I used Gnome for a while, it didn't really tickle my fancy and the variant I used had issues with my laptop - They were all concerns that could have been rectified, but I switched to KDE on my lappy and have to say I'm absolutely loving it - No issues at all and a remarkably beautiful experience, very similar to what you see in Frobozz's screenshot.

I still love MATE for my desktop however, love my MATE DE...
Oh, I was just kidding about the giving me grief thing. Poor attempt at humor I guess. On the KDE front, I've tried to give it a go, but for me it seems like every time I try to use a utility something crashes. The most egregious of these being KDE's partition manager. It is just awful. I really like the look and feel of KDE, but until they get some of the issues with it worked out, I think I'm gonna stick with GNOME. But like you said, the great thing about linux is the choice it affords.

Gnome DE with notification icons in the top bar? An extension I assume? Very sleek, very tidy!
Yeah, I don't use too many extensions, but the ones I'm using are as follows:
Dash to dock - fairly self explanatory I think.
TopIcons Plus - Moves status icons from the legacy bar to the top bar.
Mconnect - KDE Connect applet for GNOME.
Arc Menu - a more elegant replacement for gno-menu, in my opinion.

There's a couple more baked in by the Manjaro team, but I can't remember those off the top of my head. I think it may just be Manjaro update notifications and Gno-menu. And I remove Gno-menu.

EDIT: If there's one thing I'd change is the spacing with the status icons. It's the only bit that isn't as I'd like it, but with the extensions as they currently are it isn't an option. Dash to panel enables adjustments there, but I got tired of the old desktop layout, and wanted to give a dock a try. I've never been a fan of docks, but Dash to dock finally added the ability to start applications with Super + number key. That is a functionality that I basically can't live without.

Solus on my laptop. Went with the Windows layout due to the small screen. Not having bars taking up space helps out a lot on a 13 inch display.

pWN86bq.png

Isn't it funny how it states WM not found? You'd think it would report something?

Yeah, I noticed that too. Not sure what's going on there. lol

Yeah don't know what's up there. Should show Mutter since you're using Gnome. Probably just a bug. lol

It shows 'BudgieWM' for Budgie. It's just really Mutter though. When Budgie moves to QT though it'll be on KWin.

Screenshot from 2017-12-23 08-51-51.png

Yeah don't know what's up there. Should show Mutter since you're using Gnome. Probably just a bug. lol

It shows 'BudgieWM' for Budgie. It's just really Mutter though. When Budgie moves to QT though it'll be on KWin.

View attachment 47411
bvfYTF3.png

Well I went to have a look at the bash code because the thing is ... I am not technically running a "DE"... its just openbox and I launch a few other applications to make my life easier

Code:
 cat ~/.config/openbox/autostart
#
# These things are run when an Openbox X Session is started.
# You may place a similar script in $HOME/.config/openbox/autostart
# to run user-specific things.
#

WALLPAPER="/home/jrb/Pictures/wallpaper-WoT.jpg"

feh --bg-scale "$WALLPAPER" &

if [[ $(pgrep pcmanfm) ]];
    then true;
    else pcmanfm --daemon-mode &
fi

&
compton -bcCGfF -o 0.38 -O 200 -I 200 -t 0 -l 0 -r 3 -D2 -m 0.88

xrdb -merge $HOME/.Xresources &
(sleep 1s && lxpanel)&
(sleep 1s &&  urxvtd -q -f -o ) &
(sleep 1s && conky --daemon)&
(sleep 1s && ~/tmp/Discord/Discord)&
(sleep 1s && /home/bin/steam) &

Code:
cat ~/.config/openbox/environment
#
# Set system-wide environment variables here for Openbox
# User-specific variables should be placed in $HOME/.config/openbox/environment
#

# To set your language for displaying messages and time/date formats, use the following:
#LANG=en_CA.UTF8

# To set your keyboard layout, you need to modify your X config:
# http://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+set+keyboard+layout+xorg
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE=gtk
STEAM_FRAME_FORCE_CLOSE=1
STEAM_RUNTIME_PREFER_HOST_LIBRARIES=1

Now looking over screenfetch code (nasty bash, nasty use of parsing ls, not even using q to get gentoo packages... ) what the code does to determine DE is
1) check $XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP
2) check fallbacks $KDE_FULL_SESSION, $TDE_FULL_SESSION, $GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID, $MATE_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID,...
2) check $DESKTOP_SESSION
3) check $GDMSESSION
4) process grep for: lxsession, lxqt-session, razor-session, dtsession

So if you look at mine output there is no DE listed because it didn't detect it. It could be an older version of screenfetch being used. I am using: v3.8.0

I love me some POP!_OS. Easily my favorite distro in a long time. It's so good it dethroned Manjaro for me, my main distro for a long time.

Here's one of my laptop. On travel at the moment, so no desktop screenshot right now. Also, I really need to give Pop a try. I keep hearing nothing but praise for it.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-05-19 23-55-12.png
    Screenshot from 2019-05-19 23-55-12.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Also, I really need to give Pop a try. I keep hearing nothing but praise for it.

They keep it very close to Ubunutu but add really nice features, especially for laptop users. I don't know if I can go without their battery management and how easy they make it. It wasn't much fun using Manjaro on my laptop since the battery estimates were always way off. I would go from 25% to 40% to 10% to my laptop just turning off in a minutes time. Pop OS gives me very good estimates and battery usage is very linear.

They keep it very close to Ubunutu but add really nice features, especially for laptop users. I don't know if I can go without their battery management and how easy they make it. It wasn't much fun using Manjaro on my laptop since the battery estimates were always way off. I would go from 25% to 40% to 10% to my laptop just turning off in a minutes time. Pop OS gives me very good estimates and battery usage is very linear.

So what the hell does this mean ???

Screenshot from 2019-05-21 13-41-07.png

I have an Intel CPU and an Nvidia GPU. :confused:

Go with the Nvidia one. It should find the correct and up to date driver for both. I think Ubuntu (and other flavors of it) are the only distro that allows gpu switching currently.

Looks good. With your chromium try going into settings and turning off "Use system title bar and boarders" Its a minor thing but I never feel the need to have a page title at the top of the screen and it gives you a bit more screen. :)

Thanks for the reminder. XFCE doesn't need it (it doesn't do much on that DE) so I had actually forgotten about it lol.

Reactions: ChadD
like this
Laptop. Ive been running Pop OS for a few months now. This laptop is replacing a 2014 Macbook Pro that is just getting long in the tooth, even for general usage.

219502_Screenshot_from_2019-06-09_20-01-52.png

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2019-06-09 20-01-52.png
    Screenshot from 2019-06-09 20-01-52.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back