Post a screenshot of your linux!

Screenshot-1.jpg

eBuntu1.png

Asus 1000HE running eeebuntu with compiz, conky and awn. Radial and slickness theme, hydroxygen icons, vienna3 cursor.

eBuntu2.png

awn and top panel auto hides. Terminal on desktop background. Background auto changes.

screenshotsqy.jpg

new 9.04 install, still in process of fully setting it up

(darkroom theme, compiz, awm, conky, mandolux wallpaper, orig size 2600x1600 )

Last edited:
Distro: Gentoo 64bit
DE/WM: Openbox
Additionals: Tint2 (panel), Conky (stats) + Sonata (mpd app), CairoCompMgr (for nice 3D effects), ossxmix (OSS4 mixer applet)

28tz6o6.png

Not as nice as eeyrjmr's setup but here is mine on my netbook.

Clean:
mint-6-aao.png

Dirty:
mint-6-aao-dirty.png

WM: Gnome 2.24.1 (Stock)
Main Changes: Transparent panel, Changed menu to the main gnome menu, Tiny menu Firefox addon, Resized desktop icons, other small changes
Theme: Carbon (Comes pre-installed just needs to be enabled)
Controls: Aurora-Midnight (Comes pre-installed just needs to be enabled)
Specs: In Sig (Netbook)
Time to customize: ~10 Minutes after fresh install.
Left to do: Remove icons from desktop, Install Virtualbox, Finish setting up other small little things.

@eeyrjmr: How do you get the icons in the Tint2 panel? I have searched google but can't find anything.

@eeyrjmr: How do you get the icons in the Tint2 panel? I have searched google but can't find anything.

I pull directly from SVN (the joys of gentoo makes updating such packages really easily).

However, the systray was added to the tint2-0.7-beta1 (it isn't in tint2-0.6) so try that
There is a slight bug with the systray, mainly with apps that goto the tray which can't have their icon resized.
If you have a thin panel (like me) so apps (Pidgin for one) really corrupt the panel.

I pull directly from SVN (the joys of gentoo makes updating such packages really easily).

However, the systray was added to the tint2-0.7-beta1 (it isn't in tint2-0.6) so try that
There is a slight bug with the systray, mainly with apps that goto the tray which can't have their icon resized.
If you have a thin panel (like me) so apps (Pidgin for one) really corrupt the panel.

Hi also, how well does the cairo composite manager work? I am on a never ending quest for an alternative to xcompmgr for AWM but have not tried it yet. Where did you pull it from? And are you using the open drivers?

thanks

Hi also, how well does the cairo composite manager work? I am on a never ending quest for an alternative to xcompmgr for AWM but have not tried it yet. Where did you pull it from? And are you using the open drivers?

thanks

I have no idea about CCM, but you might want to try using xfwm4 as your window manager - it's much more sensible than Metacity, and quicker too....while the composite effects aren't anything like the plugins for Compiz, it can handle transparency and shadows very easily (and it several orders of magnitude better than xcompmgr). I use it on my laptop, which has a fairly wimpy little 128MB Quadro in it - runs like a champ.

You seen a terminal session? That's mine. I use it as a server.

I've been using Linux Mint 7 as my main OS for about a week!

Click for full size:

My Main systems desktop, nice and clean, normally the top bar is set to auto hide.

Oops, is that not what you meant? :p :D

"Not long ago, the Black Gate of Armonk swung open. The lights went out, my skin crawled, and dogs began to howl. I asked my neighbor what it was and he said, 'Those are the Nazgûl. Once they were human, now they are IBM's lawyers.'"

So after about two years of Vista and a bit of playing around with Win 7 RC, I'm taking the plunge back into Linux. The newer versions of Linux have come a long way since I last used RedHat, SuSe and Fedora ages ago, so I figure Linux these days can do just about anything Windows can do, only more securely or certainly cheaper.

Anyway, here is my current setup. Not sure if I'm going stick with it, I might try out the updated versions of Fedora and SuSe and other distro's, but in the meantime, here is Ubuntu 9.04 x64.

(Ignore the icons, I've been tweaking the repository and seeing what app's I can install, and which I can want to remove or keep around.)

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot.png

Not much difference but a bit more tweaking, got Songbird going and changed background (though I'm not sure if I like it but I haven't found anything else as of yet)...

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot5.png

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot4.png

Ok, so here is what's going on. I cleaned up the desktop because I got tired of looking at it. Not perfect but better. Secondly, because I'm weird like that I downloaded and installed the "Satanic Ubuntu" stuff so the theme, login page, background, etc. are all dark and evil, just how I like it.

My biggest thing, after some hassle and headache, I got WOW to work with Linux. Yeah, I did it. It works great too, or at least nearly as good as Windows. We'll see how things go after more tweaking and playing around with the distro and WOW itself.

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot6.png

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot7.png

Ubuntu-904-Screenshot8.png

Back