Post a screenshot of your linux!

Got bored with KDE looking so "Stock" so I modified things.

Here is the latest of my Mandriva 2008:

snapshot10.png

Been experimenting a bit with a few other OSs hehe. heres my PCBSD screenie.

snapshot1.jpg

Overall I am impressed, its very stable and its definatly got a few things I like, easy to install as well. I will be dual booting this and ubuntu on this machine.

Nothing too fancy, just Ubuntu 7.10 with a custom theme to go along with the wallpaper. I use it way more then Mac OS X and Windows though. Don't think I'll ever buy another Mac or copy of Windows again.

screeniely1.jpg

I wish .png files were smaller, damn jpeg killed the quality.

Okay tinyload re-did - deleted everything I guess, anyway I updated my desktop - i'm still running Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy...

Screenshot.jpg

this is a wip gnome theme , a handful of apps dont like the black but i'm working on this issue ( firefox is now fine as is thunderbird )

I updated mine with new wallpaper + custom emerald theme last night :D

Ubuntu 7.10 x64
XFCE
Compiz + Emerald

click for fullsize (3840x1200)

dirty:

clean:

Dude that looks godly, i'm sooooooo using those tools and skins, cheers.

Here's some details for you:

System monitoring app: gkrellm .. theme: Egan ... modified the fonts to be Verdana in 7 for everything

Emerald Theme: Based on "Kind of Blue", customised colors and transparency options, with the "legacy" frame engine.

Wallpaper: Jade

XFCE (gtk) Theme: clearlooks-gperfection

Icons: OSX 3.3 and also some from the Nuove XT Icons

Misc. Settings: Font anti-aliasing is off, but I've got hinting set to full, and sub-pixel to BGR. I use Verdana 8pt for all of my fonts except window titles, which are "deja vu sans bold 8"

some of the apps: gnome-terminal (terminal, obv.), tvtime (tv thru tv tuner card), amarok (for music ... install kcontrol, then set all fonts to verdana 7, and to use the nuove xt icon set for KDE), pidgin (IM software) and firefox :)

Got a tutorial on how to get terminal integrated into the desktop? Any I ever tried never worked.:confused:

Nice,

What do you think of those Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu?? Looks great though. Thinking about downloading right now.

They're alright. Not as good as the windows counterparts but good enough. I wish I could independently control brightness/contrast/gamma on each monitor in twinview.

They're alright. Not as good as the windows counterparts but good enough. I wish I could independently control brightness/contrast/gamma on each monitor in twinview.

manually install the 169 beta driver from nvidia if you dont have it yet. its a huge improvement in rendering performance and stability.

as for the gamma settings, most of that you can adjust right on your monitors.

I'm well aware that you can adjust it on the monitor. The problem is that the monitor is 7 years old and has seen heavy use. It needs a little help from software to match the color of its lightly used brethren. For whatever reason, I can do this in Windows but not in Linux.

Actually, I probably could adjust it if I run it as a separate X screen, but then I wouldn't be able to drag windows between monitors. Kind of defeats the purpose.

I'm well aware that you can adjust it on the monitor. The problem is that the monitor is 7 years old and has seen heavy use. It needs a little help from software to match the color of its lightly used brethren. For whatever reason, I can do this in Windows but not in Linux.

Actually, I probably could adjust it if I run it as a separate X screen, but then I wouldn't be able to drag windows between monitors. Kind of defeats the purpose.

i see. that makes sense.
well, a new none beta of 169.7 driver came out today. might be worth a try to see if it can do it for dual monitors or no.

Back