Post a screenshot of your linux!

Yes, an xterm window instead of a physical text terminal is
very nice. rows & cols, and also font choice. But for emergencies,
and OS installs, I always use a real terminal. The only non-text
thing I really use in X is ghostscript. (Alright, and xkobo.)

Erm, I'm saying that this doesn't run in X.

Lol, if I just had a console version of Opera that used framebuffers or something for graphics (just can't ever like any other browser nearly as much -- not even firefox,) I probably wouldn't hardly ever even use X. ^_^ The main reason beyond that is just so I can have documentation or something open and showing while I do the work by that documentation in a console window. I guess in the future I might try to get gaming reasonably working in linux though, so I'd probably need X a lot for that.

Oh right, no X running, just text mode? What size is the screen
(rols/cols) when you do that?
Have you tried one of the ultra-minimalist X windows managers?
There are a few that are completely text-oriented - no overlapping
windows, and no mouse.

HHunt said:
BriguyNJ: Is than a qnx influence I feel?

ah no... it was entirely by accident. one day i found that lemony wallpaper and thought it was fun, then i just picked agreen to match. lol... i don't even remember the wm theme that xfce is using.

BriguyNJ said:
ah no... it was entirely by accident. one day i found that lemony wallpaper and thought it was fun, then i just picked agreen to match. lol... i don't even remember the wm theme that xfce is using.

Right. There was something about the fonts and colors that made me wonder.
(Compare to this.)

Nazo said:
Lol, if I just had a console version of Opera that used framebuffers or something for graphics (just can't ever like any other browser nearly as much -- not even firefox,) I probably wouldn't hardly ever even use X

There are a few solutions for you; for example, you could have another console logged in a nd use the SVALib version of Arachne. It renders pages pretty well, though the default toolbars are ugly. Screenshot: http://arachne.browser.org/screen/linux1.png

shieldforyoureyes said:
Oh right, no X running, just text mode? What size is the screen
(rols/cols) when you do that?
Have you tried one of the ultra-minimalist X windows managers?
There are a few that are completely text-oriented - no overlapping
windows, and no mouse.

The font is the standard. I think that is 8x10 or whatever, but I don't remember. Lol, you'll have to do the math I'm afraid. ^_^ If you want to see what I'm talking about for yourself though, the "System Rescue CD" (silly generic name) is a great example: http://www.sysresccd.org/ It doesn't have the neat little logo, and only goes up to 1024 resolution (actually, I suspect you could pass the vga= argument to the kernel -- mine uses vga=794 -- to get higher) but you will also have a handy little repair disc that uses some of the latest stuff on a reliable gentoo distro. In fact, this seems to be built into newer kernels or something, so you might even try it on yours. (Lol, there's always ctrl+alt+delete if things go wrong I suppose -- assuming you didn't disable that...) I suspect that it's built into all the precompiled 2.6 kernels that you get when you install your os, but, don't sue me if I'm horribly wrong.

And I've tried minimalist X managers. I'm afraid that I'm just completely messed up in this, but, I'm stuck with a Windows-like interface. I've been working with MS Windows since the days of 3.1 and only in the past few years have I been putting anything resembling a serious effort into linux (and it's no small factor in this that it's now 500x easier than it was only a couple of years or so ago.) So, I'm stuck with KDE (can't even seem to use Gnome, it just doesn't FEEL right.) Still, I worked with DOS for even longer, so that console always feels familiar. God I wish I could have run DOS at 1280x1024 back then though! Back then the best I could do was the VGA 80x50 and some kind of derivitave a few things offered that gave you 80x60.

BTW, I knew about arachne from back when I was trying to find a web browser for an ancient laptop running DOS for my aunt. But, I definitely forgot it had a linux version. I might definitely take it into consideration. I'm also going to try to get links to enable the graphics mode too though. (Lol, it says you can't enable graphics while compiling, but I'm not compiling, I'm running the binary that came installed on my OS. I figure I'll just build the latest version properly and it will work though. Might just as well upgrade anyway.)

Well, good luck with it if you try.

DOS can be run in higher resolutions; right around the time Windows 95 came out, I had a utility from...SciTech I think that enabled Vesa 2 modes on my video card, and my Autoexec.bat set the command line to a higher resolution. Of course, I was one of those losers with custom command prompts and batch file shortcuts set up for everything, too. Command-Line is still the first icon on my Windows Quicklaunch bar in Windows, and you can see that the terminal holds the same place in my linux screenshot, too.

SUSE 9.1 Pro thanks to Novell linux technical resource kit :)
linuxsusedesktop.png

back on the topic of linux screen shots....

I actually don't own a PC, or have any linux box. I like
high-end server stuff mostly - Sun, IBM RS/6000, etc. I run
BSD on everything I can, but a lot of my machines run commercial
Unix because there's nothing else available.

shieldforyoureyes said:
I actually don't own a PC, or have any linux box. I like
high-end server stuff mostly - Sun, IBM RS/6000, etc. I run
BSD on everything I can, but a lot of my machines run commercial
Unix because there's nothing else available.

Soo......

Screenshots?
:D

Diffie said:
Slackware Linux 10.0 with Dropline GNOME 2.6 and RC2 of upcoming Xorg 6.8.0.

What sort of performance are you getting with the composition manager turned on? Also, what video card are you running?

It is slow but not that bad yet it takes a hit because DRI does not support cards higher than 9500 and ATI does not have the drivers for Xorg. But the eye candy is nice :D . I use Radeon 9600XT made by ATI.

ATI will release version 3.12? of the drivers supporting new Xorg few weeks after the 6.8.0 release (it's been noted in xorg bugzilla entry). We'll see then what kind of performance will it have and if hardware shadows will work...

linux_desktop.jpg

Fedora Core 1 for the time being, still deciding whether I want to try fc2 again.

SUSE 9.0 running KDE 3.3 with MS PowerPoint XP viewing Microsoft's own slides on XP SP2 (scary stuff). Also shows PDF version done via a Print To PDF right out of PowerPoint... a feature Windows folks apparently desire that's built into KDE. Also shows Microsoft Internet Explorer running the Apple Quicktime plugin viewing a recent movie trailer.

So basically, same as the user's corporate desktop except it does add the nice Print To PDF capability. We have 25 corporate Linux desktop/laptop users.

This is being run on one of our corporate Linux laptops (Compaq n610c).

bmh.01 said:
Fedora Core 1 for the time being, still deciding whether I want to try fc2 again.

Looks like a default theme, ne? What's with that background though? Seems like it must be a 50x closeup of a few strands of carpeting or something. ^_^

BTW, MS software in linux = EVIL spreading to all that is, er, well, less evil anyway. d-: Why not just use OpenOffice.org though anyway? Rather a bit cheaper IMO. (Even as I say this, I still haven't thrown away my copy of MS Office 2000, I just haven't installed it in over a year or so is all...)

cjcox said:
SUSE 9.0 running KDE 3.3 with MS PowerPoint XP viewing Microsoft's own slides on XP SP2 (scary stuff). Also shows PDF version done via a Print To PDF right out of PowerPoint... a feature Windows folks apparently desire that's built into KDE. Also shows Microsoft Internet Explorer running the Apple Quicktime plugin viewing a recent movie trailer.

So basically, same as the user's corporate desktop except it does add the nice Print To PDF capability. We have 25 corporate Linux desktop/laptop users.

This is being run on one of our corporate Linux laptops (Compaq n610c).

You using cross over Office or what Wine implementation are you using to run those Windows apps (plain ol' default wine or SuSE's own package)?

Nazo said:
BTW, MS software in linux = EVIL spreading to all that is, er, well, less evil anyway. d-: Why not just use OpenOffice.org though anyway? Rather a bit cheaper IMO. (Even as I say this, I still haven't thrown away my copy of MS Office 2000, I just haven't installed it in over a year or so is all...)

My wife migrated from a Crossover Office 2K to OO (in Linux)... but in all fairness, OO supports less than 60% of the functionality found in MS Office... though arguably, you don't need that other 40% or so, but at work, EVERYTHING must be compatible (even that obscure 40%). OO's Impress is probably one of the most different and incompatible applications. I don't like PowerPoint, but at least you can fully use a complex PowerPoint app under Linux... can't say the same with OO. My company is providing the MS license whether or not we use it... like most big companies.

Wrench00 said:
Is it me or is it a requirement for linux users to like anime?
I love linux but hate anime, but my friends who are *nix users like it.

hmm, all of these screenshots of linux make me want to install it on my pc. is fedora a good os? i downloaded all four disks of it.

Thermite Paste said:
hmm, all of these screenshots of linux make me want to install it on my pc. is fedora a good os? i downloaded all four disks of it.

Amzing OS - I love it!!!

snapshot21.jpg

ghost_adsf said:
Really cool stuff there man. What programs are you running on the right hand side to display that info? Or is that part of the overlockix package? If so anyone know anything similar to that(not gkrellm) that can be put into a transparency mode? And is that the default folding@home client?

Superkaramba is an application for Linux that's similar to samurize.

That stuff is just a superkaramba system monitoring theme I got from KDE-look.org and modified slightly. Also added a superkaramba folding theme module to that theme so it all launches at once. Folding is actually running as a background process. In this pic, you can see how I edited the theme to monitor multiple folding clients (even across a LAN). You can do all kinds of things like grab hardware sensors data or local weather data, news reading, etc and display the info transperantly on your desktop using superkaramba themes.

You can d/l these from me if you want, just PM me. The configs require minor editing to adapt to your system. I'm working on minor modifications to a set of about 10 superK themes which I'll package in one tarball for any who want it. It will be built-in to the next release of Overclockix and also the upcoming Yoper live CD I'm working on.

samurize... as a kendo martial artist.. i like that word... it sounds like making someone into a samurai lol

Nazo said:
Looks like a default theme, ne? What's with that background though? Seems like it must be a 50x closeup of a few strands of carpeting or something. ^_^

According to the filename its frost on pipes. Yeh its the default theme, was using an osx look but got bored of it so went back to defaults.

I've started playing around with the new x.org XServer build thats about to be released. The new version adds native real transparency, instead of the crap that we've been using. This thing is amazing. There is no noticable slowdown at all. I have it using my Geforce 6800GT as the accelerator, it's kinda slow without hardware support, and I believe that NVIDIA so far only has real good support.

sorry about the size, but I needed it to show the quality of the trans effects.

Screen shot, I have 2 movies playing and a few windows open. Didn't slow at all.

Note: Since I'm hosting this on a forum's server I help admin, I gotta plug them.

http://mlf.sketchyorigins.com --- Mutant Liberation Front Comic Book Forum

i didn't realize real transparancy was so close. any idea how long before it's in a stable release?:

BriguyNJ said:
i didn't realize real transparancy was so close. any idea how long before it's in a stable release?:

was suppose to be out this week, but they delayed again. I would say within a month. It seems pretty stable to me right now. One thing its missing though is support from windows amnagers to use the trans option. I had to manually set the transparency in each window. Some poeple have also reported distortion and artifacting graphics in some windows.

Metacity's already been patched to support transparency - the gnome team just needs to make a few little utilities or a preferences tool.

I'm sure KDE 4 will support this, but who knows how long it'll take before it's implemented in the 3.3 tree.

Back