Possibly recommend an LGA2011 CPU to me?

• Thread starter Deleted member 72990
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 72990

So I got these sweet new dual Titan XP's last week. I'm really enjoying them. I'm getting little hickups in games here and there and looking at my CPU usage I do have quite a few spikes to 100%. I'm guessing I have a little bit of a CPU bottle neck with 100% usage on all 8 threads. Increasing graphics settings causes the CPU to be pegged at 100%.

I also use my PC as a work station so i could probably benefit from something more than a 4 core/8 thread CPU. What about a LGA2011 CPU with more than 4 cores and more than 16 PCIe lanes? What would be the sweet spot with gaming being a priority. 5820k with 6 cores? or something else?

I have Xeon 14/28 Retail version bought on eBay from $349, shipped from Japan. It is supported/tested on Asus x99, AsRock x99 series and MSI X99 series. A cpu is clocked at 2.0Ghz however multiplier can be set to 30x making all cores to run at 2.5Ghz and Turbos to 3.0Ghz. CPU is a perfect balance for gaming/pro work. Depending what GPU you have and what resolution you are going to play in you won't see difference between higher clocked 6 core and this CPU. Newer titles will prefer higher core count, but again if you play at 2k or 4k you are less CPU bound especially in 4k.

You have to do research on your own. $349 was like amazing deal to me compared to much expensive consumer 6 and 8 core CPUs. I do lot of encoding and other pro work so that was another reason for me. This CPU supports regular DDR4 and there was no extra cost there. Also has 40 PCIe lanes running SLI 1080 in PCIE 3.0@16x.

If you do gaming only, Kaby Lake 7700K is enough.

Last edited:
But will a 7700k really be enough? Same number of PCI lanes and similar clock as my current 3770k which is bottnecking a little bit. I'd prefer the overhead of additional cores if I can get the clock high enough (4.5 GHz or higher). I do CAD, web development, and a little rendering too but mostly gaming.

But will a 7700k really be enough? Same number of PCI lanes and similar clock as my current 3770k which is bottnecking a little bit. I'd prefer the overhead of additional cores if I can get the clock high enough (4.5 GHz or higher). I do CAD, web development, and a little rendering too but mostly gaming.

If you do 4k gaming it should not bottleneck. Again how much money you are willing to spend?

If you do 4k gaming it should not bottleneck. Again how much money you are willing to spend?

No particular price ceiling. I know a 6950x wouldn't be great, despite being most expensive, because the clock speed is limited. Is there a sweet spot for gaming that has more than 4 cores?

6900k (8 cores) or 6850k (6 cores). Both should reach 4.4 ghz or higher. Don't get the 6800k, if I remember it only had 28 pcie lanes

No particular price ceiling. I know a 6950x wouldn't be great, despite being most expensive, because the clock speed is limited. Is there a sweet spot for gaming that has more than 4 cores?

The 6950X still works very well for gaming and can easily hit 4.2GHz across all cores, and some can do 4.3GHz-4.4GHz it you want to push it. It's not as absolutely fast as an overclocked 7700k in games, but there is no better CPU that performs workstation tasks incredibly well and also games very well. The 6950X is the "best of both worlds" solution. Gaming is very good and overclocked multi-threaded performance is near the level of a 16-core Xeon. The chip is an absolute beast and I don't regret buying it at all.

Hmmm - Maybe I'll wait until I see what LGA2066 has to offer!

The 6950X still works very well for gaming and can easily hit 4.2GHz across all cores, and some can do 4.3GHz-4.4GHz it you want to push it. It's not as absolutely fast as an overclocked 7700k in games, but there is no better CPU that performs workstation tasks incredibly well and also games very well. The 6950X is the "best of both worlds" solution. Gaming is very good and overclocked multi-threaded performance is near the level of a 16-core Xeon. The chip is an absolute beast and I don't regret buying it at all.

lutjens,

I just bought this motherboard ASUS Republic of Gamers Strix X99 for 239.99 used .. B&H photo said it is condition 9. saved 85.00 buying new

Going to be throwing in 64gb ram and a 6950x with kraken x61 watercooler.. running MSI GTX 1080s gaming in SLI. Should have both slots running at 16x on the video card.

Anyway do you think i made the wrong choice going with this chip vs a kaby lake 5ghz solution with 1080s? I am running 2560x1440 for games and could care less about 4k right now.

Does windows and applications, VM , video encoding going to be much better? What do i have to look forward too for upcoming DX12 games that use 6+ cores?

I have Xeon 14/28 Retail version bought on eBay from $349, shipped from Japan. It is supported/tested on Asus x99, AsRock x99 series and MSI X99 series. A cpu is clocked at 2.0Ghz however multiplier can be set to 30x making all cores to run at 2.5Ghz and Turbos to 3.0Ghz. CPU is a perfect balance for gaming/pro work. Depending what GPU you have and what resolution you are going to play in you won't see difference between higher clocked 6 core and this CPU. Newer titles will prefer higher core count, but again if you play at 2k or 4k you are less CPU bound especially in 4k.

You have to do research on your own. $349 was like amazing deal to me compared to much expensive consumer 6 and 8 core CPUs. I do lot of encoding and other pro work so that was another reason for me. This CPU supports regular DDR4 and there was no extra cost there. Also has 40 PCIe lanes running SLI 1080 in PCIE 3.0@16x.

If you do gaming only, Kaby Lake 7700K is enough.

Does 16x SLI really really make a difference , please convince me!

Does 16x SLI really really make a difference , please convince me!

There was an article not long after the 1080 came out that looked at it as well as the new SLI HB bridge and yes, for 4k it does make a difference on the newest cards. Also the 980Ti benefited from the increased bandwidth but only in like 2 titles (GTA V was one of them).

Sorry CBF finding the source.

So I got these sweet new dual Titan XP's last week. I'm really enjoying them. I'm getting little hickups in games here and there and looking at my CPU usage I do have quite a few spikes to 100%. I'm guessing I have a little bit of a CPU bottle neck with 100% usage on all 8 threads. Increasing graphics settings causes the CPU to be pegged at 100%.

I also use my PC as a work station so i could probably benefit from something more than a 4 core/8 thread CPU. What about a LGA2011 CPU with more than 4 cores and more than 16 PCIe lanes? What would be the sweet spot with gaming being a priority. 5820k with 6 cores? or something else?

You want the first chip that gives ya 40 lanes... so you can run your bad boys at full width!

I think the i7-6950X is the better choice for the demanding user. It allows you to run all peripherals at full width and with a robust storage subsystem, will allow you to do everything you want to do all at once. Trying to encode on Kaby while gaming isn't going to go well. The i7-6950X will shrug it off (and encode much faster overall irrespective of gaming). Also, when you want to upgrade in the future, you'll still be able to get decent coin for it when you sell it, as it remains the best overclockable Socket R3 processor available and folks will be eagerly looking for them to upgrade older X99 based systems for years to come.

Back