Possibly hot hot deal for all you socket 754ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
was browsing loooking for a processor to buy, specifically the athlon 64 3000+ 939, when i came across this , can you say 90 nm for socket 754 :), and I don't know if it will be the same for the A64's but for the prescott core, the cut down celeron D's OC like crazy. Can't wait to get my hands on one

it only performs worse at default speed, the big thing here is that it is 90 NM, which allows crazy OCs (see sig), I'm not saying I would buy it at that price (in fact as soon as it becomes availabe I know how to get it under $100). This is the only 90 NM I know of available for socket 754, the 64's are not that L2 cache dependent, so I'm guessing a sempron at 2.6 ghz could out perform or at least equally perform a athlon 64 754 at 2.4 ghz.

i wasn't aware those had been released already. and most people should have known this.. however semprons suck. 256kb of cache and no 64bit instructions.. though they may change that someday

OK ONE MORE TIME, THIS IS GOOD BECAUSE OF 90 NM WHICH CAN OC BETTER THAN 130 NM PLUS LESS CACHE MAY MEAN EVEN HIGHER OCs, Athlon64 2800+'s dont' perform much better than semprons maybe 2-4% in games, if the sempron OC's 200 mhz better it will out perform the 2800+ and for less money

2800+ compared to 3100+

Socrilles17 said:
OK ONE MORE TIME, THIS IS GOOD BECAUSE OF 90 NM WHICH CAN OC BETTER THAN 130 NM PLUS LESS CACHE MAY MEAN EVEN HIGHER OCs, Athlon64 2800+'s dont' perform much better than semprons maybe 2-4% in games, if the sempron OC's 200 mhz better it will out perform the 2800+ and for less money

2800+ compared to 3100+

Interesting, Didn't know the gap was that small. Yeah, this thing does have potential. Except that, all of a sudden, 90nm semprons. Something makes me think these could be winchesters-gone-bad :D

id still rather get the a64 and install xp64 when it becomes available. would be interesting to see how that thing oc's though.

Jason711 said:
id still rather get the a64 and install xp64 when it becomes available. would be interesting to see how that thing oc's though.

You'll probably want/have a better processor than the S754 A64 when xp64 comes out.

From personal experience, the sempron 3100+ overclocked is as fast as a newcastle 3000+ overclocked with the other hardware being the same. I had the sempron, but sold it and 'upgraded' to the a64. During gaming, I can't tell the difference. At the same speeds they are the same. I don't have all my benches but here is a couple....

Sandra cpu
Sempron
Newcastle

3dmark03

From what I've seen, the sempron [email protected] equals the newcastle 3000+ [email protected]. 64bit aps might make a difference, but there really aren't any.

The sempron already is a better overclocker, in 90nm form I wonder how much better it could be.

rhoel said:
From personal experience, the sempron 3100+ overclocked is as fast as a newcastle 3000+ overclocked with the other hardware being the same. I had the sempron, but sold it and 'upgraded' to the a64. During gaming, I can't tell the difference. At the same speeds they are the same. I don't have all my benches but here is a couple....

Sandra cpu
Sempron
Newcastle

3dmark03

From what I've seen, the sempron [email protected] equals the newcastle 3000+ [email protected]. 64bit aps might make a difference, but there really aren't any.

And won't be, for quite a while. And then, at that point it will be debateable if it even is any upgrade in speed. :(

i'm personally waiting for my newark core.
90nm mobile chip, meant to replace the clawhammer. 1mb of cache, goes in socket 754. if it's a mobile chip, it should overclock fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back