Possible upgrading two PC's, or building new one.

Syribo

[H]ard|Gawd
I am happy with my PC I built just over a year and a half ago. I have a 4690K, 16GB RAM, MSI Gaming 5 motherboard (All the specs are in my signature) Well, my father just informed me he wants me to build him a desktop. Something he can just use for everyday stuff, streaming movies and shows, downloading, etc. So nothing crazy.

Here's my thoughts... For a couple hundred dollars (Okay, more like $500 probably), I could get a 6600K, 1151 mobo, and DDR4 RAM for myself. Then use my current 4690K, mobo and RAM for a build for him. But that would only work out if I didn't have to buy everything else (Case, PSU, etc). So.. I still have my original PC from 2008. My old Q6600 machine in my Thermaltake Armor case, with a 750w Corsair PSU (And even one of my 8800GTS's!). If I were to take my 4690K, mobo and RAM.. and transfer them into the old Thermaltake case, with my Corsair 750TX PSU... would there be any issues? I would either re-use my current cooler on my 4690K, or go find where I put the stock Intel one it came with. I also have a spare 500GB HDD.

Wondering if these ideas are crazy, or don't make sense at all. I wouldn't mind an upgrade, but I'm not sure it's worth it stepping up from the 4690K + DDR3 RAM to a 6600K + DDR4 RAM.

Also, I imagine that if I DID switch my current parts to the old case, that the integrated graphics would be good enough for him to simply watch Netflix, Hulu, etc?

If this sounds crazy... I'll juist go ahead and make a brand new build that will fit his needs. But it would be great if I could re-use ANY parts that I currently have, even the case or PSU.

I do A LOT of gaming, streaming, photo editing, etc. My computer is great as it is, the only time I ever have the processor go to 100% is in some games. But I doubt that the 6600K would be a significant change from that?

Any advice is welcome :)

The cost to go from 4690K to 6600K is simply not worth it. When you get into that kind of money I would build a 5820K rig instead.

I would just buy a 4790K for your rig. Then a new Z97 board, 2x8GB of ram, and put the 4690K with the Corsair PSU and new Z97 board.

I was thinking of just getting another HDD, or re-using one of my own, and putting it back into my Q6600 machine for him. That system aged AWFUL for me, but for his needs.. I guess it should be good enough for basic stuff and streaming? Honestly, I could barely run Terraria on that thing anymore. Streaming HD stuff even seemed like a lot for it haha. I haven't turned it on once since I built my current PC a year and a half ago. I also still have Vista for it.. I guess it would be a better idea to buy a copy of Windows 10 or something for it?

I don't feel the upgrade bug too bad with my own computer right now, switching the parts and getting a 6600K was just a random idea :) Or maybe save up enough for a 6700K eventually instead? Or what you said Priller, build a rig around the 5820K or something.

Another 980Ti I can't even imagine haha. I can play any game I've tried so far pretty damn nice at 1440p, but it always seems like it's my processor holding me back. Especially in MMO's.

Back