Possible to write a batch file for enabling/disabling second display?

TheGamerZ

Supreme [H]ardness
I was wondering if it was at all possible to create a batch file to enable and disable my second display (which is actually a tv)

The command would have to turn on the display, and also change its location relative to my primary display. I wouldn't even know where to start; Google doesn't yield any fruitful results.

Any input is much appreciated, thank you :)

This is on Vista, but that shouldn't make a difference.

Are you looking for a 'batch file' which can power up a TV set, configure your display driver to operate with a particular dual-mointor output, and then 'position' certain applications on it? That sounds like an awfully ambitious ask!

I'm not particularly experienced with 'home theatre' stuff. Matter of fact I've only set up one such rig for myself, and played it by ear and instinct setting the thing up. I'd be quite interested hearing different approaches people have taken.

But what I did was this:

• Hooked the TV up to the display card.
  • Configured that 'second monitor' with appropriate resolution and settings.
  • Dragged Media Center across onto it and then full-screened the application.

That's it. In use I need to use the TV's remote to power it up when needed, and select the appropriate input signal. Then launch Media Center. anyone operating Media Center can do so by using the Media Center remote. When acticity in Media Center takes 'focus' from activity on the PC, and displaying on the primary monitor, Alt+Tab (or other similar keypress combinations) gets focus back.

I can't see how it can be done any other way, really.

I know how to manually enable it. I was just wondering if it was possible to do it without all the steps.

I don't need it to "power on" the TV, I was just looking for it to automatically do the steps that I already follow:

1. open display properties
2. enable second display
3. drag second display over to the left of my main display (it always defaults to the right)

Alright, I'm giving that a shot now.

Edit: That worked amazingly. Thank you very much. I assigned hot keys to the 2 profiles I created so I can switch with one keystroke.

Back