Possible to use UTM as filestore?

Concentric

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be building a UTM (probably Untangle) and was wondering whether it was also possible to use the machine as a LAN filestore for backups?
Would i be able to "share" some of the system's drives (for want of a better phrase) or can't that be done since it's a distro they've specifically tailored to only do UTMing?

I FTP into IPCop and use it to store some files. So I guess so.

If you want to use ClarkConnect you can setup samba shares on it. I used ClarkConnect probably 3 years ago and it was okay. I downloaded the latest version a few months ago and played around with it but never put it into production at my house so I can't really say how well it worked. If memory served it now has all the UTM stuff and you can host FTP and web sites on it, I think you can even host a mail server, too.

Thanks for the replies. ClarkConnect looks quite good but i'd rather not go for a paid solution at the moment and it offers a lot more than i really need.

Does anyone know whether it can be done with Untangle or Endian?

Thanks for the recommendation, ClarkConnect looks pretty good and seems to have a sophisticated backup feature.

Just one question - is the virus scanning just of email traffic or all web traffic too?

It should scan all web and email traffic. That is typically what the linux UTMs do. I imagine you can turn stuff on and off to fine tune. I have used Endian and Astaro and they both do the same things, just no fileserver like CC.

Back