Possible to Use Android Auto Without Charging?

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
Hey all,

Just picked up a new Pixel 3, and I am trying to be kind to its battery to make it last longer.

I've mostly never charged it above ~80% or so, but the few times I have it has been because I have been using Android auto while driving, and the phone charges while in use.

Does anyone know if there is a way to use Android Auto without charging?

Much Obliged

Unfortunately not. I've been doing the same thing with my 2 XL since I got it and wish I could cap the charge while using AA in the car as well. I wish Google would put that feature into the phone that Sony has to cap the charge like that. But until then, the only solution I can think of is using wireless AA when/if it becomes available on your car or next car. I remember you have a 2017ish S60, I have a 2019 XC40 and wireless AA was demoed on that car, so I'm hoping Volvo will update their system for wireless AA at some point, but I haven't heard anything about it since 2018 when they did the demo for it.

Unfortunately not. I've been doing the same thing with my 2 XL since I got it and wish I could cap the charge while using AA in the car as well. I wish Google would put that feature into the phone that Sony has to cap the charge like that. But until then, the only solution I can think of is using wireless AA when/if it becomes available on your car or next car. I remember you have a 2017ish S60, I have a 2019 XC40 and wireless AA was demoed on that car, so I'm hoping Volvo will update their system for wireless AA at some point, but I haven't heard anything about it since 2018 when they did the demo for it.

Yeah, I have a 2017 S90.

I hadn't heard anything about wireless AA, I'll have to read up.

Thanks for that.

I am actually considering picking up an older junk phone I can just leave in the car for AA. I really only use AA for Waze support.

I have multiple reasons for wanting to do this. First, as noted, is the charging issue. Secondly, with the AA connection being in the center console, I keep getting up and leaving the car without my phone. (Whoops)

And 4th, I much prefer the Volvo-designed call and SMS management to Google's assistant powered implementation.

Thing is, I don't know if AA or Volvo's Sensus will allow me to have one device plugged in for Waze on AA and use another device paired via Bluetooth for calls and SMS. That would be ideal for me.

If it doesn't work, and having a dedicated AA device plugged in means I can't use Bluetooth on another device, maybe Apple Carplay works differently? I could get an old cheap iPhone for that purpose.

I'll have to do some further research and testing...

I'd appreciate any thoughts you have on the matter.

Back