Possible to upgrade dell poweredge 2950?

Edgar

2[H]4U
Currently have a dell poweredge 2950 with dual xeon E5430(socket 771 and 2U rack). Seeing some deals with socket 2011 (E5-2670's). Is it possible to upgrade the guts to socket 2011 if I replace everything? Board,cpu,ram. Would it work? Is it even recommended? This server is local in our office and is 10+ years old. Would like to upgrade but not break the bank so much.

Your better bet would be to look at a used R710 or R720 they are pretty reasonable depending on how much resources you need, replacing the guts as you put it is not likely to be compatible from a storage or physical size standpoint.
Your may have an issue migrating from the old SAS port style to the new SATA/SAS ports though, its a full replace likely.

If you're just concerned with failure your other option is to go with a 3rd party warranty company, the 2950 is likely <20$/mo to cover.

Not worried about failure. Just want something faster. Current server has 2 vm’s. 1 being sql server other being DC,dhcp,dns server.

What about an AMD, 64 core setup with 32GB DDR3 RAM?

If it’s inexpensive and compares to the xeons. I’m game. Got a model?

I have a Dell R815. It's got 4x AMD Opteron 6272 CPUs in it and 32GB DDR3 RAM. Each processor has 16 cores. For multi-threaded tasks it beats my Intel Xeon E5-4620v3 CPU that has 10 cores and 20 threads by a good bit. Not sure on single threaded performance as all my stuff is heavily multi threaded and I never compared 1 core to 1 core on either. I am sure the Intel is faster by a good bit, core for core, but when you have 64 cores in a single rig it can do some work.

Back