Possible to stretch 4:3 netflix content on PS3?

dr.stevil

[H]F Junkie
Is there a way to either stretch the image or zoom it to remove the black bars on the side of 4:3 native content in netflix?

My Samsung plasma will automatically resize the image, however, the monitor/tv I'm using in my bedroom (viewsonic monitor) doesn't let you adjust the image like that, so I'm forced to watch it with the ugly black bars on the side.

My Xbox, while using netflix, gave you a few different options on how you'd like to display the picture, but I can't seem to find anything for the PS3 :( hell, I think my Wii even have the option of stretching the image... the PS3 HAS to allow you to do this somewhere.

any ideas?

I don't think I found any stretching options when I looked either.

The PS3 is also incapable of stretching SD material on blu-ray discs.

PS3 probably won't do it because it's a damn sin to stretch 4:3 content. Would you wide-stretch a picture of your wife/girlfriend to fit a picture frame that wasn't the same size of the picture?

I suppose if you just really want to screw up the image then you could set the PS3 to 480p and tell your TV to stretch to fill the screen. I'm guessing your PS3 is outputting 720p or 1080p so your TV won't let you stretch those because they're proper HD resolutions.

you'll have to go through your TV/monitor/projector menu to see if the display device can do it. The PS3 won't

Your TV should have a zoom option, use that for 4:3 content to fill the screen. It will look a bit pixelated due to the zoom and some of the image will be cut off but at least will be the correct aspect ratio still.

PS3 probably won't do it because it's a damn sin to stretch 4:3 content. Would you wide-stretch a picture of your wife/girlfriend to fit a picture frame that wasn't the same size of the picture?

epic win.

Makes me laugh how people think stretching a 4:3 image makes it better.

Stretching 4:3 content annoys the piss out of me. My dad does it on his TV. I ask him why doesn't he keep the aspect ratio and his response is "I bought a 40" TV and everything better damn well fill the screen." :rolleyes: I ask if it bothers him that everything looks fat and wrong and he just says "No, it better fill the screen." Letter box stuff always pissed him off back in the day and now he's even more confused to see it on widescreen TV's. Half the time I go over there he has the TV set to zoom and he wonders why the ABC logo gets cut off. Weird people :confused:

Sounds like he should have stayed with a 4:3 CRT or projection TV. SD 4:3 content looks way better on a good old CRT. That's why I still have a CRT in my bedroom and a 50" HD in my living room. I watch more TV in my bedroom than the living room because most content is 4:3 SD.

I have a coworker who confuses 4:3 with HD. I guarantee if you show him something in 480, and then something in a stretched/zoomed 4:3 and then something in 1080 he would call them all HD. Seeing characters in TV shows stretched and fat or the round logo for a network oval just distracts me to no end.

they should just make 4:3 cardboard glasses. People would think they are cool and not mind not stretching feeds.

Sounds like he should have stayed with a 4:3 CRT or projection TV. SD 4:3 content looks way better on a good old CRT. That's why I still have a CRT in my bedroom and a 50" HD in my living room. I watch more TV in my bedroom than the living room because most content is 4:3 SD.

Hd or I usually do not watch it. Most good stuff can be had hd nowadys, and my 1080p projector and I don't accept substitutes! Bluray rocks, too...

Hd or I usually do not watch it. Most good stuff can be had hd nowadys, and my 1080p projector and I don't accept substitutes! Bluray rocks, too...

I'm talking TV and not movies. Most TV content is still SD. BD is overpriced and I often buy the DVD version because the BD is overpriced and for many older movies does not show much dif either.

I'm talking TV and not movies. Most TV content is still SD. BD is overpriced and I often buy the DVD version because the BD is overpriced and for many older movies does not show much dif either.

wut? Where are you buying BluRays? Retail ?

they should just make 4:3 cardboard glasses. People would think they are cool and not mind not stretching feeds.

Hahahaha

I tell people...all TVs have black bars...it's called the bezel :D Everything has an edge.

I can't stand fat-people-vision either. Can't stand stretching.

wut? Where are you buying BluRays? Retail ?

That's the going price on new movies in BD pretty much everywhere in Canada. I paid $35.00 for Bonny and Clyde on BD and that movie was made in the '60s.

That's the going price on new movies in BD pretty much everywhere in Canada. I paid $35.00 for Bonny and Clyde on BD and that movie was made in the '60s.

You don't know how to shop then. For instance Alien Trilogy at Amazon UK costs 27 Canadian dollars. Here in the states cost of an average BRD movie can be anywhere from $10-20 at our local B&M. The Bonnie & Clyde BRD can be had for 11 Canadian dollars or so

Last edited:
I have bought both DVDs and BDs from Amazon so you are telling me nothing I don't already know. But often I like to buy things I see in the retail store and not have to wait for amazon.ca to ship it. Current price for B&C is $26.99 at amazon.ca. That is over a year since its release, it was $35.99 pretty much everywhere, including amazon.ca, when it was first released. I don't think you understand Canadian economics compared to the USA.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bonnie-Clyde-B...ef=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1304927743&sr=1-2

BTW, yesterday I bought a DVD that was $5.00 at Walmart, amazon USA price is $9.99 USD for the same DVD so amazon is not always the best place to buy movies from.

The fact remains that the reason BD is not doing so great is mostly due to their higher price. New AAA titles are over $22.00 for even the DVD in Canada, including amazon.ca, so it stands to reason that of course the BD will sell for more and mostly they are $28.00 - $35.00 CAD. Sure, I can buy Donnie Brasco or Highlander in BD at Walmart for $9.99 right now but I was talking about new movie releases and not ten or more year old movies. Walmart prices are quite comparable to amazon.ca so disagree that amazon is always the best place to buy movies from.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
BluRay has had nothing but a higher % every year. So that is quite false when you say BluRay isnt doing well cause of higher prices. And BluRays can be found for 10-20$ pretty easy.

BD sales have increased but compared to DVD they are still quite low. Yea, $10 - $20 is for old movies and not newer movies.

Wouldn't mind being able to stretch the 4:3 content. Short Fat video better than burned in black lines on my Westinghouse LCD.

Yes, I have actually had that happen to a Viewsonic LCD HDTV from displaying 4:3 content. Luckily I bought it form Cosco so was able to return it for a refund after 6 months of use.

Back