Possible to schedule a task to browse to a webpage in an already-open browser?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
In Windows, I'm trying to schedule a task that visits a predefined webpage every morning before I wake up, but doing so in any *already-open* browser (if there's one available).

I jump between Pale Moon (32-bit) and Cyberfox (64-bit) browsers. Sometimes one's open but not the other. I want to schedule a task that opens a webpage in whichever browser is currently open. If both are already open, then it doesn't matter which. If neither are already open, then it also doesn't matter which. But if one is currently open and not the other, I don't want Task Scheduler to open the other -- which is what happens when set statically.

For example, if I currently have Pale Moon running (but not Cyberfox), the task would browse to http://example.com in already-open Pale Moon, rather than starting Cyberfox (or whichever browser is set as system default). If Cyberfox is running, but not Pale Moon, the task would instead open the page in Cyberfox. If neither are running, then it doesn't matter which. If both are running, then it doesn't matter which.

Is this possible?

Sounds a bit more complicated than what Windows Task Scheduler is capable of. It might be easier to have the task execute a script that does what you're trying to do. Then again, I'm no expert with Task Scheduler or scripts, but I do have some basic programming knowledge, and that seems like the most logical option to me.

If you just want to go to a particular web page and it can be done using keyboard commands you might be able to use AutoHotKey with a simple script (not hard to pick up). I use to use this program while dual boxing in World of Warcraft. Worked great for sending commands to certain windows.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/commands/_IfWinActive.htm

If you need to interact with the web page at all you will need a more advanced language that can "web drive" a browser. I use Ruby & Watir module to do this.

Back