possible to re-use OEM Win7 license?

xXaNaXx

Gawd
ok, so i was working on a laptop for a friend of one of my family members, and it turns out that the motherboard is fried beyond repair, and it's going to be too expensive to replace it (water was spilled on it and it started to corrode some of the components on the MB).

they don't want the computer back since it's hosed, so they gave me the busted one to salvage whatever parts i want off of it as payment (the HD, DVD writer, LCD screen, CPU, RAM, battery, etc. are all good).

what i want to know is whether or not it will be possible to re-use the Win7 license and use it on one of my spare computers. anyone know if MS will allow me to do this?

I've never had a problem with using OEM keys for my own personal systems when something dies. I see it as making use of a key w/o burning a hole in my wallet.

It could be argued semantically or ethically but I find that logic to be based on greyish EULA territory.

My opinion: Go for it

I've never had a problem with using OEM keys for my own personal systems when something dies. I see it as making use of a key w/o burning a hole in my wallet.

It could be argued semantically or ethically but I find that logic to be based on greyish EULA territory.

My opinion: Go for it

+1 hehe

yeah, i mean i was gonna give it a try anyway....i guess more what i was wanting to know, is if there was going to be any issues with the process of getting it transferred over to the new system, like is there anything special that needs to be done in order to get it moved over?

You might have to use the automated phone system to activate it but it's very painless at this point.

I've used a copy of Win7 OEM multiple times, but never on multiple system simultaneously. At one point I did need to call that automated phone system Crimson mentioned. But worries, it will work just fine. Also, keep a heads up on Newegg during back-to-school sales. I got a couple of copies of Win7 64bit OEM for $70 per. Always good to have on hand.

Back