Possible to hook up a laptop a tv without anything better than s-video?

sniper991122

Supreme [H]ardness
Title says it all, I'm looking for some kind of s-video to (red, yellow, white) connector? Composite would work too I guess but I'm wondering if its possible to hook my computer up to this tv...

I couldn't remember the name for that off the top of my head

red yellow white IS composite. yellow is video, red is right channel audio, white is left.

and there are svideo to composite adapters. they only would give you the yellow, as video cards dont do audio.

Composite is the yellow cable. Red and white are audio and you can get an adapter from radio shak, compusa, best buy etc that takes the headphone jack and converts it to them.

S-video is a connector with 4 or 7 wires in it that is pretty much round.

A lot of notebooks come with s-video out on them. If you need composite it is another simple adapter to go from s-video to it. Depending you might need the 7 wire to composite adapter that is a little more rare.

If your notebook doesn't have a video out you can buy a converter that will take the vga out and convert it to either one. They start around 100 bucks last time I checked.

damn, i forgot about s-video not doing audio...

I do know all this stuff I just had my terminology mixed up a little... My desktop is hooked up to my receiver and s-video going out to my sony tirnitron simple enough...

hmm.. guess I'd have to do a headphone out jack to a white/red splitter then eh? Think i've got those layin around..

my next question is how would the quality look? I know s-video is 640x480? whats composite?

damn, i forgot about s-video not doing audio...

I do know all this stuff I just had my terminology mixed up a little... My desktop is hooked up to my receiver and s-video going out to my sony tirnitron simple enough...

hmm.. guess I'd have to do a headphone out jack to a white/red splitter then eh? Think i've got those layin around..

my next question is how would the quality look? I know s-video is 640x480? whats composite?

640 x 480.

So is there no advantage from s-video over composite? I was always under the impression that it was better in some way but it sounds like the only point of s-video is just a broader range of connectivity

So is there no advantage from s-video over composite? I was always under the impression that it was better in some way but it sounds like the only point of s-video is just a broader range of connectivity

Svideo is higher quality (allows a little bit more detail), whoever said it wasn't doesn't know what they're talking about.

Also, svideo is speced at 720x480 which is also the same for composite.

S-Video is a little sharper. If you have the option yes run s-video.

Any standard def tv is 720x480 or less (usually less) anyway. If you had a HDTV you could possibly use VGA or DVI-D/HDMI to connect for higher resolutions than you are currently getting over SVIDEO.

Umm last time i check. Mine run @ 1024 x 768 resolution with S-Video from my Laptop. :confused:

I had the same question a week back.

You could go to radioshack and buy this for the video and then buy a headphone jack to RCA audio cable and connect that way.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2545451&cp
this is the other cable for the sound
http://www.shoptronics.com/sthe3pltodur.html

The other thing you could do is hit up monoprice and buy their cables which is what i am going to end up doing next week. Retail prices for cables are crazy.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10207&cs_id=1020704&p_id=2846&seq=1&format=2

Hope this helped.

Umm last time i check. Mine run @ 1024 x 768 resolution with S-Video from my Laptop. :confused:

svideo doesnt do 1024x768, its standard definition only 480i only. Your video card would have been scaling down to 480i before outputting to svideo.

Back