Possible to get the 6-pin power cable for PCI-E cards anywhere?

bruce02

Weaksauce
I ordered an OEM X800 XT PCI-E, and it doesn't come with the 6-pin power cable. Yay.

Don't know man, but beyond3d didn't use the connector when they reviewed that card so you should be able to use it with out too many problems until you find one.

thats odd that it doesn come with the cable even though it is OEM. Usually all that means is no box and no software besides the driver cd.

I know they have adapters, but remember that the pci-e slot itself provides up to 75W on its own, so unless you oc, you may not even need the extra connector.

ehZn said:
I know they have adapters, but remember that the pci-e slot itself provides up to 75W on its own, so unless you oc, you may not even need the extra connector.
Yea, I heard you might not need it. Do you know of anywhere where I can order an adapter?

unless you are using a psu with a 24 pin mobo connector, you won't be getting all of that 75W of power, so in that case having the cable becomes very important for stable operation.

Merlin45 said:
unless you are using a psu with a 24 pin mobo connector, you won't be getting all of that 75W of power, so in that case having the cable becomes very important for stable operation.
Could anything be damaged if I tried running it without the cable?

if it is anything like nv cards, it'll probably just spit error windows at you and scream low power, restricted usage, etc. IIRC you will also get VPU recovery errors, but as long as you don't stress it you shouldn't damage it, that doesn't mean I would advise it though. I would highly reccomend tracking down a converter cable, if only for the peace of mind factor.

Merlin45 said:
if it is anything like nv cards, it'll probably just spit error windows at you and scream low power, restricted usage, etc. IIRC you will also get VPU recovery errors, but as long as you don't stress it you shouldn't damage it, that doesn't mean I would advise it though. I would highly reccomend tracking down a converter cable, if only for the peace of mind factor.
Yea, I'd really rather have the adapter, but haven't seen one yet. You're more than welcome to help me track one down though.

Alright, well I tried it without the cable, and of course it doesn't work. Gives me a "power not connected to video card" error. This sucks, can't find the cable anywhere, and the newer PSUs are too expensive.

Jima13 said:
Antec NeoPower

It does? cool.

I was gonna be moving to a NeoPower in a bit to sleeve it all up....but I think I'll just stick with my Enermax for a bit longer so i can save up for a PCP&C 510DLX. :cool:

/offtopic

You want a power supply that is ATX v2.03 compliant. If you go here, you can click on the 'compatible' list and then search for specific types of power supplies. Newegg breaks them apart in a lot of (confusing) categories, so watch carefully.

Basically, you're looking for a decent power supply that has a 24-pin motherboard connector, and that includes a 6-pin power connector specifically for PCI-E video cards.

Thanks, but I still don't know how to narrow it down to if it has the 6-pin connector or not.

Just have to read the description or look up the specs on the manafacturer's website. Most will state they have the 6-pin PCI-E connector as it's a selling feature.

Back