Possible to cheat on xbox 360?

I was under the impression that this was impossible. However he swears up and down it can be done with a flash drive, and no I have to hear him accusing everyone left and right and am getting sick of it. He's not right is he?

People can cheat in some games by copying save files to a flash drive and then loading the files back onto the 360. This ruined Dark Souls on the 360, but really doesn't work for most major titles.

not that i know of, closest thing I can think of is a mouse/keyboard adpated (xsim i think here called) for the 360 since a mouse gives you much better aiming and reflexes. But I dont think these are so widespread that your gonna run into tons of players with it.

Like stated biggets hacks Ive seen is save game manipulation, was a big problem for borderlands. people could unlock every skill and creat stupidly overpower guns for characters.

People can cheat in some games by copying save files to a flash drive and then loading the files back onto the 360. This ruined Dark Souls on the 360, but really doesn't work for most major titles.
I haven't really played Dark Souls yet; were people screwing with high scores?

At first you want to be mad at Microsoft for banning third-party save devices and then you see some asshat of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan feel the need to exploit saved game hacks so he can have his gamertag at the top of the high scores list and god forbid Sega get on there, remove the scores and ban these people from ever submitting scores again.

Other than just hacking save files, for online games I guess people find exploits and use them but if they've been found to be using the exploit excessively after it's common knowledge that they shouldn't be doing it then they risk being banned.

Do not ever make the ignorant mistake of believing that it is impossible to cheat, or hack, or get a virus on any electronic device. It is possible to cheat, the only question is how many people are doing it, and does anyone care enough to write the cheats for all the people who are not able to write their own cheats or figure it out for themself. For alot of games, heck even PC games there are almost no cheaters simply because there is not enough interest. But if a game gets huge and the risk is low enough people will start cheating on any platform. The thing going for XBOX is that you risk losing access to an account with various games and a console. So is it worth 300 - 400$, alot of people wont risk that. The same thing is happening in PC gaming where people have alot more wrapped up in time and money on various games and platforms. One day I expect people will be able to filter for servers which only have people with long standing good accounts.

Ask yourself more interesting questions like are there any cheaters who are self controlled enough to build a good cheat and not tell anyone. Are there people make making hardware based cheats. And then you have the whole issue of the fact that most console gamers use horrible controllers to play so what kind of hardware are people using that is not cheating but gives them a huge advantage like a xim.

So don't try to argue with your friend and tell your friend its impossible to cheat, just let it be and mention to him its very possible that people are that good. Because from my personal experience the vast majority of cheat accusations are wrong and the funny thing is some guy no one thinks is hacking actually is. Play hard and don't let stuff bug you, cheaters are out there on every platform and perhaps every game and even in real life. Get used to it just try to play the best you can and pretty soon everyone will be saying you cheat.

I haven't really played Dark Souls yet; were people screwing with high scores?

At first you want to be mad at Microsoft for banning third-party save devices and then you see some asshat of a Sonic the Hedgehog fan feel the need to exploit saved game hacks so he can have his gamertag at the top of the high scores list and god forbid Sega get on there, remove the scores and ban these people from ever submitting scores again.

Other than just hacking save files, for online games I guess people find exploits and use them but if they've been found to be using the exploit excessively after it's common knowledge that they shouldn't be doing it then they risk being banned.

In Dark Sous people were hacking character attributes and then trolling anyone who tried playing online. And since the game defaults to online mode and lets people invade other's games, this was a huge problem.

Last edited:
It is very possible to cheat on consoles. The call of duty franchise is probably most notable for it. There are aimbots and such for all of them.

I'd almost argue it's easier to cheat on xbox. All you need is a modded console and some modified game files. Microsoft has systems in place to check for a modified console when connecting to xbox live, but there are ways to bypass that. If you can fool Microsoft and get online, there aren't, to my knowledge, any game-side cheat detection methods. Nothing like VAC or Punkbuster.

JTAG/RGH units make it much easier for people to cheat. Last time I played CoD World at War I couldn't even find a lobby that wasn't hacked. People were flying around. It ruins things for people like me who just want to play the game I used to enjoy.

JTAG/RGH units make it much easier for people to cheat. Last time I played CoD World at War I couldn't even find a lobby that wasn't hacked. People were flying around. It ruins things for people like me who just want to play the game I used to enjoy.

yeah pretty easy to cheat with JTAG

and i think the most common way to prevent getting banned on your modded machine was to not play burned games, real copies only. those dvd readers send log files to MS

yeah pretty easy to cheat with JTAG

and i think the most common way to prevent getting banned on your modded machine was to not play burned games, real copies only. those dvd readers send log files to MS

Not playing burned games on a modded system kind of defeats the purpose though lol. I don't mind people playing burned games (asided from the theft thing), I just hate the modded lobby stuff that ruins it for everyone else.

Doesn't defeat the purpose if you plan to cheat.

I know for halo, bungie and now 343 studies does have some automatic software to catch some cheats/afks. I dont know how it is with CoD, but with halo if you do run across one, they wont last long. I believe overall, MS is good about catching modded xbox online. I know in ~5000 Halo reach games, ive ran across 1 instance of blantant cheating, and another one that looked like cheaters. That instance had low ranks and after looking back at the video, the guys were nailing 4 to 5 shots without missing long distance with dmr and pulled off somehting like 28 of 30 kills were headshots. Also bungie/343 dont like network manipulators. Example: You could install the game/map pack to a zip drive, and if you dont like the map picked, yank it out causing a load failure. Though as far as I'm aware is not picked up automatically but has to reported and normally done by looking over a persons game history.

How do people use cheats and play with a legitimate game disc?

Are they installing the game to the HDD, modifying them, and then the Xbox just checks that the legitimate disc is the drive and lets the game run as it is on the HDD?

How do people use cheats and play with a legitimate game disc?

Are they installing the game to the HDD, modifying them, and then the Xbox just checks that the legitimate disc is the drive and lets the game run as it is on the HDD?

Not sure but I know you can do a lot with a jtag. I would guess that's how they do it.

The most common cheat I've seen on consoles is using "lag switches". All it is is you take a specific wire out of your LAN cable and splice a switch to it. Hold it a couple seconds before you go into a firefight and no one will be able to hit you. It doesn't work on all games though since many will detect the dropout and disconnect you from game.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that this was impossible. However he swears up and down it can be done with a flash drive, and no I have to hear him accusing everyone left and right and am getting sick of it. He's not right is he?

I know this is a little off topic but similar. In halo reach, there was a way to trick the voting by Installing the game and/or map pack to a flash drive. If the voting wasnt for the map you wanted, you could pull it out and quickly pop it back in. This would cause a map failed and restart the vote. Though some people will report it, if they consistently see you play the same map over and over and possible temp ban. Its a network manipulation.

People can and do use cheats all the time. There is JTAG, which basically modifies the firmware of the console. Xbox will console ban you immediately if they catch you using a modded console, but they have to catch you first. Some people are dumb enough to use modded games. JTAG allows them to play burnt games, and they can modify the games on their computer, burn them to disc, and then play them in their modded console. Some people do stupid things like add colour to their gamertag in the lobby or something stupid (which is pointless because they will be console banned immediately without any real advantage). Some people will use aimbots, some people will just do stupid things like screw around with the maps. One time I was playing BF3, and there was some guy riding a boat under the map. He was essentially invincible, and could kill people before they could see him.

This is one of the reasons I will never, ever play PC games. If cheating is so bad on consoles, I can only imagine how bad it will be on PC, where people are free to modify their hardware as much as they want.

This is one of the reasons I will never, ever play PC games. If cheating is so bad on consoles, I can only imagine how bad it will be on PC, where people are free to modify their hardware as much as they want.

On PCs its not hardware manipulation, its largely software modification. And you make it sound like cheating on PCs is rampant and unchecked. Yes, you will see it more often on a PC than a console, but I have NEVER heard a PC gamer get fed up with cheaters or script kiddies and say "Screw this! I'm going to switch to consoles!" The beauty of PC gaming is the fact that if your game supports personal servers that you can set up for public games, you as the admin or whomever you designate as one, can ban cheaters

I have heard of lots of PC gamers that quit to console game because they believed there was no cheating on consoles. Not sure if they would have said that if they knew you can cheat on consoles but trust me it pisses alot of people off.

That said the gains of PC gaming are worth the risk. 1 much better anticheat exists for lots of games. Alot of games are in a higher quality state. Consoles are suppose to have higher quality but its actually not true because it takes so much time to get a patch integrated to consoles. In PC gaming usually the companies try to fix exploits, on consoles they dont even bother they just hope no one notices or try to ban people who use them.

On consoles the community has no way to stop cheating on PCs the community will set up networks of server admins that control cheating in over and above what is done buy the official anticheat. In fact in many PC games you can have up to 3 levels of anticheat.

I have heard of lots of PC gamers that quit to console game because they believed there was no cheating on consoles. Not sure if they would have said that if they knew you can cheat on consoles but trust me it pisses alot of people off.

That said the gains of PC gaming are worth the risk. 1 much better anticheat exists for lots of games. Alot of games are in a higher quality state. Consoles are suppose to have higher quality but its actually not true because it takes so much time to get a patch integrated to consoles. In PC gaming usually the companies try to fix exploits, on consoles they dont even bother they just hope no one notices or try to ban people who use them.

On consoles the community has no way to stop cheating on PCs the community will set up networks of server admins that control cheating in over and above what is done buy the official anticheat. In fact in many PC games you can have up to 3 levels of anticheat.

Back in the day when i was playing on steam, the only thing i worried about was finding a good server where the mods played the game. antihacks were more annoying than anything, because they would restrict my purely cosmetic skin changes. mods who played would occasionally switch to spectating suspected cheaters, ban or kick annoying kids, whatever.

i believe the PC's biggest advantage is the ability for the host to kick or ban people, install fun mods (loved roll the dice mod for CS) and generally have fun with the server. controls are purely preferential, as i understand that kb/m offers better control but prefer to relax on the couch with my controller (don't like couch with kb/m combo). on PC, i like the ability to find a good server, and then stay with that server, or move it to the list of servers you don't want to visit.

It doesn't matter how many levels of anti-cheat you have if they aren't effective.

The MW3 console community can actually stop cheaters. You can watch game replays and submit video evidence on the MW3 forum/reddit/twitter and get people banned (cheaters) or reset (boosters). I haven't ran into any real cheaters, but I have had many boosters reset through this process (reddit).
http://community.callofduty.com/thread/200432280

With Xbox you can ban consoles and accounts (XBL ain't free either). You can't really ban a PC.

Sure there are JTAG xbox's that can execute unsigned code, but any PC can already do that.

As far as cheats on XBOX the only ones I really know of are:
- Lag switch, never ran into one though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPKCng8Now

- Modded Controller, not significant imho, so you have rapid fire on a single shot, but you still have to aim.

- Glitches and exploits. Getting outside the map and etc. Usually the games fault and patch-able if they aren't lazy.

- DoS attack, haven't experienced this first hand, but have heard of it happening. Basically if you end up being the host, people can monitor their network traffic and get your IP. They can then DoS your internet if you beat them or hurt their feelings. Of course this is an actual crime through so I'd imagine you'd have to be pretty crazy to do it over a video game.

I have yet to see an aimbot or any real evidence of one in MW3 for XBOX. There was a thread about this on reddit and they couldn't find a real one at the time.

ROFL! I feel sad for clueless people. PC cheating is not as common as you believe, and PC users are more able to deal with cheaters. (server mods and server admins) The only way Console users are generally able to defeat cheaters to to report them and then wait days/weeks for them to actually get banned.

Anyways, this reminds me of the CS days. I used to run my own server and I developed an admin script to combat hackers/cheaters.

If I caught someone cheating on my server I could alter their settings to change their controls. I would rebind bind all of their keys to say something along the lines of "I was caught cheating on (My servers name), please ban me now." and also commit suicide.
The settings were persistent so if they went into another server it would do the same thing. Also you could not rebind the keys from the options menu, the only way to fix it was to delete some file (that I cant remember) or reinstall the game.

I am not talking just about a modded controller, I am talking about products like xim3 which turn a mouse and keyboard into a controller. I have seen friends use this, it can take a decent aiming average PC gamer and make them better than the the pros in a game like MW3.

2 on PCs you can ban by hardware as well if you wish. Mac address, ip ranges etc.. it is only a question of will. Some games have better anti cheat than others, some have better communities than others.

In alot of games the anticheats are very good, but just like on consoles if a cheater is good about not making it obvious you wont ever know and they wont ever get banned.

But i am not here to be bias, the fact is overall cheating on PCs is worse than consoles. But that also comes from the mere fact that your average PC gamer is far more skilled and intelligent than you average console gamer. My point was more that the PC platform has alot more rewarding experience in many ways. For instance most console games have no modding or very basic modding. Now I am a person who believes that human intelligence is a learned trait that you must exercise and comparing a console gamer to a PC gamer is like comparing a kid who grew up TV to a kid who played legos. On average you just have a far more interactive environment that can teach a kid a ton of skill and a ton of truths in life on the PC, but the locked down console environment means you arent stimilating a brain in many if any ways, though I would say thats still better than watching MTV.

That does not even get into the whole barrage of free games, indie games etc on a PC that do not exist on consoles.

JTAG consoles are hard to get ahold of too. You have to have an older 360 and one that hasn't been updated to a certain point. Seeing how most people have gotten RRoD, updated or just plan tossed away these 360, they can go for a pretty penny on Ebay.

I know newer 360s can be modded but I believe that is mostly just to play burned games.

hmmm, I have an old xbox 360 witha bad dvd drive but everything else works fine. Wonder if its worth selling the console? Its just sitting doing nothing.

I am not talking just about a modded controller, I am talking about products like xim3 which turn a mouse and keyboard into a controller. I have seen friends use this, it can take a decent aiming average PC gamer and make them better than the the pros in a game like MW3.

2 on PCs you can ban by hardware as well if you wish. Mac address, ip ranges etc.. it is only a question of will. Some games have better anti cheat than others, some have better communities than others.

Yes the XIM is a definite advantage and a good one, but it doesn't make you super human. Its no aim bot, you can't see through walls, and you're not invincible. So while there are people that have them its something I can live with.

While you can ban by mac address or ip, you can also change your mac address, which is why MAC address filtering as wireless security is pretty worthless. As for IP address blocking most people don't have static IP's, it may not change often, but it does change.

JTAG consoles are hard to get ahold of too. You have to have an older 360 and one that hasn't been updated to a certain point. Seeing how most people have gotten RRoD, updated or just plan tossed away these 360, they can go for a pretty penny on Ebay.

I know newer 360s can be modded but I believe that is mostly just to play burned games.

That's not true anymore. RGH is basically the same thing as a jtag but can be done on almost any 360 can be rgh'd.

That's not true anymore. RGH is basically the same thing as a jtag but can be done on almost any 360 can be rgh'd.

The xbox needs to have hdmi and be on dash less than 15574. They're not impossible to find but they are getting rare. You can't go online with rgh/jtag consoles so asides from modified lobbies to gain prestige in modern warfare I don't see how you could use one to cheat.

The xbox needs to have hdmi and be on dash less than 15574. They're not impossible to find but they are getting rare. You can't go online with rgh/jtag consoles so asides from modified lobbies to gain prestige in modern warfare I don't see how you could use one to cheat.

Actually consoles without hdmi can be rgh'd. Also 15574 just came out in the recent past so they aren't really rare at all. It's not like the old days where it had to be on less than 7371. That's when it was rare, but those days are gone.

not that i know of, closest thing I can think of is a mouse/keyboard adpated (xsim i think here called) for the 360 since a mouse gives you much better aiming and reflexes. But I dont think these are so widespread that your gonna run into tons of players with it.

This isn't cheating and MS has been contacted by the company that makes Xim's and its perfectly fine for them to continue to make them and for players to use them.

Cheating should mean actually hacking the Xbox 360 software or using hardware mods to bypass protected setup so you can change the games functionality.

ROFL! I feel sad for clueless people. PC cheating is not as common as you believe, and PC users are more able to deal with cheaters. (server mods and server admins) The only way Console users are generally able to defeat cheaters to to report them and then wait days/weeks for them to actually get banned.

How common do I believe it is? I am only saying it's worse than on consoles. You can only ban people from a server if the admin cares enough. Which is hit or miss.

leeleatherwood said:
If I caught someone cheating on my server I could alter their settings to change their controls. I would rebind bind all of their keys to say something along the lines of "I was caught cheating on (My servers name), please ban me now." and also commit suicide.
The settings were persistent so if they went into another server it would do the same thing. Also you could not rebind the keys from the options menu, the only way to fix it was to delete some file (that I cant remember) or reinstall the game.

That's funny and good unless some random admin decides to do that to you regardless of whether you have done anything wrong or not.

I guess I am cynical, since I find admins don't generally behave any better than the general population.

How common do I believe it is? I am only saying it's worse than on consoles. You can only ban people from a server if the admin cares enough. Which is hit or miss.

That's funny and good unless some random admin decides to do that to you regardless of whether you have done anything wrong or not.

I guess I am cynical, since I find admins don't generally behave any better than the general population.

LOL.. i can vouch for that. Back years ago when i got divoice, i played the hell out of some quake 3. Around 8 hours a day. and litereally quadroupled my skill. I joined a server running the T4 map, pulled off some amazing snap rail shots, and the guy immediately calls me cheating and says hes admin and bans me. heres the kicker, enemy player name was Maestro. Guess he wasnt. ;) Dont mess with the Zohar!

Back