Possible to change volume via mouse?

Coldblackice

[H]ard|Gawd
I had a Logitech MX1100 mouse that I was using to change my computer's volume -- I mapped the DPI rocker switch to volume change (repeating). But that mouse has now been replaced with a Performance MX mouse, which unfortunately, doesn't have that rocker switch anymore.

I've been thinking about other ways I could map volume change to the mouse. I thought about the possibility of holding a modifier switch (like shift) while using the scrollwheel to change it, but can't find possible settings to do so.

I've also wondered about the possibility of holding a modifier switch, holding right click (for example), and then moving the mouse either up or down to increase/decrease the volume.

Any ideas?

EDIT:

I'm looking for a method that can be used universally across the system. For instance, on my old mouse, I could use the DPI rocker switch to adjust volume anywhere, even in the middle of a game. I'm wondering if "fundamental" or universal actions are going to be hooked/captured by the forefront program, like the basic right click of a mouse, thereby pulling the carpet out from underneath the volume change function (modification)?

EDIT PART 2:

Another option/possibility -- would it be possible to somehow hook the Logitech (Setpoint) functions of volume control? For example, on my keyboard, there are dedicated buttons for volume (volume up/down/mute). I wonder if it'd be possible to hook these functions, and then use them through another app, like AutoHotkey, for example.

Last edited:
You could probably do that with autohotkey. I have a script that maps CTRL+ALT+PGUP/PGDOWN to volume up/down, it wouldn't be hard to map it to mouse events.

In Setpoint, there should be the option to bind all kinds of features to your mouse buttons. I volume assigned to buttons on my G700 thru Setpoint.

You could probably do that with autohotkey. I have a script that maps CTRL+ALT+PGUP/PGDOWN to volume up/down, it wouldn't be hard to map it to mouse events.

I was thinking it would have to be something along the lines of AHK, because I want to double up functions based on modifier keys. So I would set AHK to control volume based on something like ctrl-pgdown/up, and then bind those keys to the mouse (with ability to change functions with modifier keys).

In Setpoint, there should be the option to bind all kinds of features to your mouse buttons. I volume assigned to buttons on my G700 thru Setpoint.

On my last mouse, this is how/where I had it set. However, because I now don't have that rocker switch, I'm going to have to set some type of generic shortcut to various buttons, so that I can double up shortcut abilities based on downpressed modifier keys. But thanks for the tip!

Looks like a useful program -- bookmarked! Thanks!

This may be it! I think this might be exactly what I'm looking for -- the ability to stack mouse functions with modifier keys. Thanks.

EDIT:

I'm loving this Nirsoft utility! It's perfect -- lightweight, very customizable (multiple and extremely varied triggers, even app-specific!), works everywhere (32 and 64 bit, too), non-intrusive, can change the number of volume "steps", can change volume of entire OS or focused app (or even separate .exe), a few handy visual indicator options (I prefer no indicator), and can even hone in on specific audio playback/mixer devices (very cool).

So for future reference, this app works a treat! I'm sure the others mentioned are just as qualified, if not more, however, I have a pretty deep trust and liking of Nirsoft tools, and after giving it a try first, it does the job amply. I almost considered the AutoHotkey route, as I've been looking to amp up my AHK-fu, but I figure that this fish is fried, and it'd be better to move on to more important/productive issues.

Anyway -- much obliged, all, for the handy references. I've Diigo-bookmarked all of them for future reference. Thanks!

Last edited:
Back