Possible stupid SATA question

meatycheesyboy

Limp Gawd
Yesterday, I picked up a Raptor, went home and hooked it up to an old mobo of mine (a P4M800PRO-M (V1.0) ); the mobo does one of two things, it either doesn't recognize it at all or it recognizes it incorrectly.

Am I just in need of a BIOS update? And also, can the BIOS incorrectly detecting the drive somehow damage it?

In what way does it not recognise the drive? Where does it say it doesnt recognise the drive? Is it the slave or master drive?

Either it hangs and does nothing when detecting the drive or it recognizes it as a 274 GB drive.

It is on the SATA 1 port, no jumpers are set so I believe with a Raptor, that is master.

Alright, got everything working, but boy was it a hassle.

So, to recap, my mobo wouldn't recognize my raptor in the bios so I figured I probably needed to update the bios. Unfortunately, the floppy controller for that mobo doesn't work for some reason. So, I had to install windows on an old IDE drive, put my new bios on a USB stick using a different computer then use the winodws flash utility to flash my bios.

After the bios flash, the bios recognized my raptor with no problems (yay!), so then it was time to install windows but hey, no floppy. So, it was back to the other computer to slipstream a windows installation with the SATA drivers integrated into the install. Once that was done I was on my way again.

Thanks.

Back