Possible problems with linksys modem and Dlink router

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Decay, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Decay

Decay [H]Lite

I have a dlink DI-624 wireless router revision C with a linksys BEFCMU10 modem version 2 both with most recent firmware and drivers. Now recently within the last 2 days my internet has been disconnecting sparatically in intervals of about 20-30 minutes, and every time I have to go and reset both my router and modem for my connection to work. Im wondering if this may be my hardware, or could it be my cable ISP service? Now I know there was a problem with the dlink router with a dhcp disconnect bug, but I updated the firmware for it to version 2.42 which was suppose to fix it. So does anyone have any ideas?

BTW my isp is comcast...

2. IxGOxSOLO

IxGOxSOLO Agent of [H] Chaos

I often wondered about my modem/Router as well. For awhile I was experiencing the same thing with my BEFSR41, and my BestData modem. I was experiencing long disconnects like that for several minutes and also router crashes here and there. I usually ended up having to reset the router and/or modem as well. I ended up upgrading the firmware and I think i was still having problems. It was as bad as like 3-4 times i had to reset a day, for about a week. I was starting ot think that my cable modem was dying, since the lights on the router most times still worked. Then all of a sudden the problems stopped. It still happens every now and then but they are few and far between, but I think in most cases it is on my ISP's end, that or something weird was going on and for some weird reason it stopped all of a sudden. Possibly a few times it is actually due to my hardware, like every now and then the light on the router would just go solid red and I would be forced to reset it, it only happened a few times though, which led me to think that it was going bad, but it hasn't happend for a bout 6 months, so i don't know. I'd just wait it out a little longer, could be hardware related, but it might also just be you ISP.

3. Decay

Decay [H]Lite

ok well heres something odd... I had my old computer hard lines to my router downstairs, to test and see if it was my cable modem, and while that computer was on I had no disconnects at all, this was over a period of about 2 hours. Im up stairs on my computer, and I had my sister turn the computer off downstairs, since I thought the problem was over. And a minute after the computer shutdown down stairs I lost my wireless connection. So yet again I had to reset my modem and router... and I left my downstairs computer on, I dont know why it would make a difference but it did for those 2 hours of up time. Im gonna leave the downstairs comp on over night, and see if I get any disconnects while its hard lined to my router. So I guess Ill see the results in the morning.

4. IxGOxSOLO

IxGOxSOLO Agent of [H] Chaos

Yeah that does sound weird, I really don't have any experience in wireless, I just run wired in my house, so maybe it is something symptomatic to wireless networking. Don't really know, it might actually be a compatability thing or maybe something even simpler, sorry I can't offer any more input. I'm confident someone will come around and have a solution for you, if you don't find it yourself.