Possible new apple tv (4th gen)?

If it can't be jailbroken I hope that the plex hack works at least. Been holding out on getting one hoping that they would be releasing another one. Looks like they are.

So why wouldn't a Roku 3 meet your needs? That plus Plex Media Server should work great...

http://www.cultofmac.com/243652/sec...ves-in-the-u-s-ahead-of-september-10th-event/

I really hope so. I'm hoping they can jailbreak this one so that you can run xbmc on it. I do not want to build an HTPC. I want a media streamer that can do local files as well as my boxee box but more powerful. Boxee box is looking long in the tooth.

I doubt you're going to see new hardware anytime soon. Apple just did a 'silent' hardware update to the AppleTV not very long ago. (I want to say, last month maybe?)

With that said, I'm really surprised that they didn't mention the ATV at the event today. With the addition of gamepad API's to iOS7 (and the official launch of iOS7), it seems like the perfect opportunity to promote airplay streaming/gaming

edit: as far as Plex goes, the hack still works. But there are some more steps involved :\

So why wouldn't a Roku 3 meet your needs? That plus Plex Media Server should work great...

I've honestly thought about going with a Roku as well... but the only thing stopping me is airplay support. It figures that the feature I'd never thought I'd ever use, is the one I use most.

I use airplay a lot myself too with my boxee box. So I kind of need it. I guess I'll be getting an apple tv 3 and doing the plex hack.

Native playback vs. transcoding.

This as well. I download quality stuff. I want it to play at what I downloaded at. I don't want it to do any extra work to play the file. Whether it be the computer or apple tv. It should just play while the computer hosts.

I doubt you're going to see new hardware anytime soon. Apple just did a 'silent' hardware update to the AppleTV not very long ago. (I want to say, last month maybe?)

With that said, I'm really surprised that they didn't mention the ATV at the event today. With the addition of gamepad API's to iOS7 (and the official launch of iOS7), it seems like the perfect opportunity to promote airplay streaming/gaming

edit: as far as Plex goes, the hack still works. But there are some more steps involved :\

I've honestly thought about going with a Roku as well... but the only thing stopping me is airplay support. It figures that the feature I'd never thought I'd ever use, is the one I use most.

The latest Roku remote app from Android added the ability to push videos from the phone/tablet to the Roku. I don't think that this will let you push streaming content, but I suppose you could add a Chromecast to the mix for that...

Native playback vs. transcoding.

Plex allows native playback - it is quite configurable. If the target device supports the native format, it will push that, and if not, it will transcode. I'm direct playing back bluray mkv rips with full DTS/DD audio using this solution without issue.

This as well. I download quality stuff. I want it to play at what I downloaded at. I don't want it to do any extra work to play the file. Whether it be the computer or apple tv. It should just play while the computer hosts.

As I said above, if the Roku 3 supports the file you have, then it'll play natively, otherwise, it'll transcode...

I've always wondered if Apple was serious about its Apple TV. It been to reasonably priced for Apple.

Apple has always stated that the AppleTV is more of a "hobby" device.

That said, the first generation AppleTV did cost more than $100. But when the Roku came along and proved to the successful, Apple changed their formula for their AppleTV and molded it into a more direct competitor. And by this time the $100 price point was well established for a purely streaming device.

Besides, the current AppleTVs are basically last generation iOS devices toned down and otherwise modified for the TV. They aren't anywhere near as expensive to manufacture as the original.

I got frustrated with the whole Apple TV 2 (jb but at 720p and choking on high bitrate), Apple TV 3 (can't connect to server or play .mkv) and Roku (transcoding and choking on 1080p).

I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a used C2D mac mini but an SSD in it and it works great with my server, mkvs and the Harmony remote (RF). With it asleep and the small SSD it comes to life almost as fast as the Apple TV.

This (Amazon link) looks interesting though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back