Possible Hack?

Broho

n00b
Hello. I'm new the the forum and thanks in advance for any reply's.

For the past couple of days there have been multiple processes running in the task manager like winlogin, dwm, and conhost. So I ran multiple virus scans and nothing appeared to be wrong. I then decided to change my user account login password for windows, restarted my computer and now all those multiple process are no longer there and my pc booted up faster and over all running better.

Is is possible that I was being piggy-backed and spied on? I would like some more experienced opinions on what was going on there. Thanks.

k, what version of windows? I mean, no it doesnt sound like a problem, but what about these things makes you think your being spied on? What did you do?

Windows 8.

Spied on might of been a bad choice of words but definitely felt like something was up for all these extra processes to appear and could tell it was effecting my system.

It might just be a bug where the processes just duplicated themself bogging the system down, I dunno...I always assume the worst ;)

Nah from what I can tell they are all normal, I wouldnt worry- I always use something like malwarebytes and a good popup blocker and Ive been trouble free since win7 came out.

Reactions: rma
like this
winlogin is the session manager for windows. WIthout it, you can't start Windows. If you kill it, it restarts the computer. It's a core part of the OS so it's always running.

dwm is the desktop windowing manager (or something like that). It's what handles the look and feel of Windows.

Conhost is a process that fixes a bug that broke command line windows' ability to drag and drop between explorer and the command line. Not really necessary, I guess, but it's not malicious and won't hurt anything if it's not being used.

I know these processes are not malicious in nature but the fact there were 4 or 5 of them each is what was peaking my interest.

I know these processes are not malicious in nature but the fact there were 4 or 5 of them each is what was peaking my interest.

I think it has to do with how many users have logged in. Some services may log in as another user to run, though I'm not sure if they'll kick off another set of those processes.

Back