Possible [H]ot Deals: CompUSA store closings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I have heard:

As of 2/28/07 any of the 100 stores not listed on the store locations page will be turned over to a liquidation company. The stores should be closed within 60 days.

Good for me that I'm moving to the Twin Cities area, where they are at least 4 stores located within fifteen miles of each other. I shall have some fun shopping for clearance stuffs.

Good for me that I'm moving to the Twin Cities area, where they are at least 4 stores located within fifteen miles of each other. I shall have some fun shopping for clearance stuffs.

I live in Minneapolis and the only CUSA I've been to here in Bloomington sucks. But I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

ZMAN

I live in Minneapolis and the only CUSA I've been to hear in Bloomington sucks. But I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

ZMAN

I once bought an Athlon XP 2100+ from them (back in '02-'03). Other than that, not much, but just interest in the closing sales...any sign of it yet?

From what I've read on FW, it looks like the same liquidator that the Good Guys used will be taking care of CompUSA.

...and unfortunately, they never lowered prices on Good Guys merchandise more than 10% or so... and then when 75% of it didn't sell, they liquidated it by the container truck-load (to eBay sellers) at ~4 cents on the dollar.

*slams head into wall*

Also, the liquidators are supposedly taking over today, 2/28/07.

The store down the street is no longer on CompUSA's list. I guess it's closed.

The store closest to me now is 80 miles away. What the hell man. =\

I'm hoping there are some really good closing deals; I'd like to get a new notebook system. However, when I worked there and we bought Computer City, all they did was transfer the crap Computer City inventory to the CompUSA stores.

Official announcement by CompUSA from http://www.compusa.com/about/news.asp

For more information, contact:
Jessica Nuñez, James Nuñez Group for CompUSA
(972) 380-9595, [email protected]

CompUSA Announces Realignment Strategy

DALLAS, Feb. 27, 2007 - As part of its plan to realign the organization, CompUSA today announced a comprehensive strategy to improve the company's financial status. The realignment includes a cash infusion, store closures, major expense reductions and a corporate restructuring.

As part of CompUSA's realignment strategy, the company will receive a $440 million cash capital infusion. The financial boost will be designated to improve the company's balance sheet.

"Based on changing conditions in the consumer retail electronics market, the company identified the need to close and sell stores with low performance or non strategic, old store layouts and locations faced with market saturation. The process began last week with the closing of four CompUSA stores and over the next 60-90 days, the company will close a total of 126 stores in the United States to focus on initiatives that enhance its top performing locations," said Roman Ross, chief executive officer, CompUSA.

CompUSA will continue to offer products and services at 1-800-CompUSA and online at compusa.com, providing more than 80,000 items for consumers and small and medium businesses, along with top-notch technical service from CompUSA TechPro.

Today's announcement allows the company to focus its efforts and ensure a strong presence in its 103 stores in 39 states and Puerto Rico.

Don't count on a good sale.

My compusa was one of the first to close, it was just down the road from me... the only time something became worth a good deal was when the discounts finally hit about 80% off

The problem is the general sheep public buys regardless, they think 5% off is a great deal on overpriced products, so that leaves you with pretty much stuff people dont want... which is pretty much most of the store. Took them forever to finally sell everything.

What I did find to be a good deal is the stupid little accessories such as water kits, lcd displays, and other little things that the general consumer might not snatch up. However, expect there to be no warranty and an as-is sale.

Where at? I don't normally freqent CC, so the list of still open stores isn't going to help me find it.

Yeah, I'd like to know this too. I still can't believe that the CompUSSR at Robinson is still open...every time I go in there, there's nobody there and the same overpriced stuff is still sitting on the shelves. How on earth are they still open?

CompUSA's headquarters are here in Dallas, located on one of the main tollroads, with a CompUSA Retail store directly across the road from the corporate location. That retail location doesn't show on the list, so it is somewhat funny to me that they are closing the one retail store the executives can see from their building. I may actually go by this one at lunch to see what's happening over there.

Also, the story mentioned that they are closing locations, in part, because of their high rent. One of the Dallas area locations they are not closing is located in Frisco, dead center in what I have to assume is likely close to the most pricey property in the DFW area. The location is directly surrounded by a fancy mall, an Ikea, a minor league (but fancy) baseball park, one of the premier new soccer arenas in the country, a metric shit ton of retail stores, and one of the busiest intersections in north Dallas. I would find it very hard to believe that location is not high priced.

That location must be a money maker, which offsets the cost of the rent and allows it to stay open

liquidators come on friday for the store by me. And the store will close in 30-60 days.

liquidators come on friday for the store by me. And the store will close in 30-60 days.

Yep, they usually sell the entire contents of the store to liquidators who are the ones who slash the prices.

Keep in mind, before they slash the prices they first eliminate all the specials, managers specials, and discounts... then they apply their discount. The first wave of discounts 5-10% off really does nothing to the current pricing.

I'm a bit bummed, since they're the only real computer chain around here. But Look on the bright side, even if there are no big clearance sales, no physical presence in the state = no state sales tax for online purchases.

So at least after they close everything here in Missouri, there will be one more online retailer that many will be able to buy from tax-free.

-Dom

To those thinking that BestBuy and such are the reason...

In Jacksonville, there are:
2 CompUSAa (both staying open)
3 Best Buys (2 within a 5 min walk from each CompUSA)
3 Circuit City stores (2 within 5 min walk to CompUSA)

The seem to be focusing more on a few select states rather than all over.

To those thinking that BestBuy and such are the reason...

In Jacksonville, there are:
2 CompUSAa (both staying open)
3 Best Buys (2 within a 5 min walk from each CompUSA)
3 Circuit City stores (2 within 5 min walk to CompUSA)

The seem to be focusing more on a few select states rather than all over.

They could have heavy compeition in the area but they also might be still getting a lot of customers.

Ours closing has:

Microcenter, Bestbuy, Computer Builders Warehouse, Stone Computer, Computer Plus, Office Max, Office Depot, Costco, Circuit City, and a pile of media stores on the same block... if you stood on the roof you could see all these stores... thats how close.

One of the Comps here has within 2 blcks:

Kinda the same here. One is in the middle of a huge shopping area.
The other is close to the same. Both are within 2 minutes of a mall.

I would have to say it's a business decision and probably based on sheer sales in markets. As I stated earlier in this thread, whenever I go to the store here in Vegas, I swear, there's like nobody in the place. Even during the Christmas holidays it's like no one gave a shit about the place anymore, and I hit the store several times pre-Thanksgiving and even afterwards just before Christmas itself - there were never enough customers in the store, in my opinion, to keep up the costs of the building itself, paying the bills, and the payroll for all the people on staff.

Never made it to the Henderson store, but I can't imagine it ever had more business than the Vegas one, so... it's on the "invisible" hit list from all signs.

Who knows, maybe they'll toss the Vegas store itself at some point. Fry's is murdering them, at least here in Sin City (no pun intended).

Wow, when I searched locations in the DC area the closest one came up in Baltimore. That kinda sucks. We had a few locations around here and now that they are going out of business in DC all we have is CC BB and a lonely Microcenter in fairfax (which is good enough for me)

I'd say I lucked out on one of their sales before they closed. I got an Antec 900 case for total $83 from BB with the CompUSA pricematch. That was a good deal on that case.

looks like papas gonna build himself a brand spankin' new gaming rig for 80% off.

I'm surprised CompUSA made the announcement in their Newsroom > Company News section of the site via Word documents rather than PDFs.

I'm a bit bummed, since they're the only real computer chain around here. But Look on the bright side, even if there are no big clearance sales, no physical presence in the state = no state sales tax for online purchases.

So at least after they close everything here in Missouri, there will be one more online retailer that many will be able to buy from tax-free.

-Dom

Dammit, they had to leave that one stupid Tucson store open but close all of the ones I'd actually go to.

Has anybody actually gone to a closing store, yet?

Yup... went at lunch.
Nothing is on sale yet - everything is at their usual inflated prices. They have the Maxtor 500Gb SATA drive for $299!! They do have the store closing, liquidation, no checks, and all sales final signs up however.

I talked to one of the employees, and although they have been given no information, he figures that they'll start off with a 5% discount. Which would take $15 off the aforementioned HD, leaving it at least $135 more than the average e-tailor (hell, it will hardly be a deal at 50% off).

So, nothing [H]ot yet - and it might be a while before there is...

I'm amazed that they're shutting down every store in Southern California! It seems like there is one in every major shopping center, I mean it's a damn huge number of stores! On the other hand, I'm surprised they're keeping the stores in Bakersfield, Fresno, and Santa Barbara, which don't seem like the best markets. The one in Fresno is useless, there's generally very few people in there when I go buy to check out new monitors or laptops. Go figure!

I'm amazed that they're shutting down every store in Southern California! It seems like there is one in every major shopping center, I mean it's a damn huge number of stores! On the other hand, I'm surprised they're keeping the stores in Bakersfield, Fresno, and Santa Barbara, which don't seem like the best markets. The one in Fresno is useless, there's generally very few people in there when I go buy to check out new monitors or laptops. Go figure!

Well, they have to rid themselves of the rest of the stores somehow. They're going to let them drive themselves out of business. :)

Yeah... same here. Just walked in the one up the street, and overheard the emp's talking about how they were just told yesterday...Sales here (StL) start Friday. But like others have already mentioned, don't expect much.

looks like all the Sacramento area stores are closing

they suck anyway, but did carry some of the oddball stuff, like the small business class Netgear networking stuff that I could never find anywhere else locally.

Luckily a Frys is opening a block away from the one thats only 2 miles from my house :cool:

February 27, 2007 - Leaked information about an internal conference call says the 100+ stores are closing. Inside sources say the number is closer to 130, including the following: most of the California region, all stores in Minnesota, all stores in Phoenix, all stores in Atlanta, all stores in Chicago, and many more. All stores in the NY region will close with the exception of the two Manhattan stores and one in Mt. Laurel.
February 27, 2007 - Confirmed 126 stores closing including all stores in Atlanta, St. louis and Chicago.

Saved for me in florida, for now.

Shit time to go to the local CompUSA for the liquidation.

Yeah... same here. Just walked in the one up the street, and overheard the emp's talking about how they were just told yesterday...Sales here (StL) start Friday. But like others have already mentioned, don't expect much.
And, prepare to fight off every geek in the metro area.

A lot of St. Louisans here. More than I thought anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back