Possible for two laptops to share one dial-up connection??

acer1642

n00b
OK, here is the problem. My wife and I both have laptops and often want to get online at the same time. I can't get cable or DSL and sattelite Internet is $$ not feasible. Can I set up to share one a connection either wired or wireless?? I do not want to add another line right now, I am looking at my options. Would a wired router get me anywhere? I am looking at the Wiflyer from cyberguys.com and it looks to be my best bet right now, any suggestions??

you will need to setup a rudimentary network

get yourself a small router, plug both the systems in to the router, enable internet connection sharing on the system that is plugged into the socket and then have your other laptop use the connected laptop as its default gateway etc.

this should work I think.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
do you have verizon cell phones?

if you do, you can connect to the net by dialing a special number, and it will only use airtime. aka, nights and weekends are free faster than 56k speeds

Had to do this for a couple of weeks after I moved and didn't have broadband service yet.

Get ahold of AnalogX's proxy software.
http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/network/proxy.htm

Put that on the laptop that is connected to the phone line, then connect the laptops by whatever method works for you. Direct crossover cable to the network ports, hub, switch, ad-hoc wireless network. Whatever, just tell laptop2 to use laptop1 as the gateway.

Back