Positioning 120mm fan in side window?

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
Yeah, I know...2 threads in one day, what is this? :p

But anyway, at this point I have a 120mm fan ghetto rigged to my case, being held in place by 2 zip ties. It's quite cool, but it rotated back when I stood up my case and is now almost pressed against the side window. I have it zip-tied to the CD-rom bays on my PC-65, it's directly over my RAM, if that helps for the mental image. I'll get a digital picture up later, just gotta go find the camera.

I am considering cutting a hole in my side window ( :eek: ) and mounting it there. I was wondering where I should position it in the window:

1. Directly above the CPU fan

2. Directly above the RAM slots

3. Directly below the video card (sorta around the PCI slots)
or,
4. At a point in between CPU and RAM and video card, sort of in the middle of the "triangle" they create?

I'm leaning towards 4, sort of spanning the CPU and RAM at the same time, and I would make it an intake, so I could get more cool air in for my nice warm Prescott. Plus, if you've seen my other thread, I'm almost 95% for buying an XP-90, so I'm looking pretty decent for airflow in the near future, and it's still nice and quiet.

Thanks in advance for your input!

meh id suggest next to the video card around the pci slot area cuz thats where i hav my 120mm fan ghetto rigged to :p works great for my and brought my case temps down 4 to 8*C minimum and feed my fan fresh air ;)

Video cards are one of the poorly-est cooled components when it comes to fresh airflow. I'd put it right below it.

position it right between the videocard and cpu for most effective cooling :)

Back