POS Malware Discovered at Applebee's

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
In a report from Threatpost, it appears that malware was discovered on the point of sale systems at more than 160 Applebee's restaurants. The stores are all owned by RHM Franchise Holdings, who said it recently discovered the malware that may have enabled hackers to steal guests' names, credit card numbers, experation dates, and verification codes for transactions that happened between December 2017, and January 2018.

If you got all dressed up to get that 2 for $20 for your anniversary dinner between December and January, you may want to check your credit card statements. It is interesting that they state the info was stolen between December and January, but they didn't learn of the incident until February 13th.

Upon learning of a potential incident, RMH told Threatpost it promptly launched an investigation, obtained the help of leading cyber security forensics firms, and reported the matter to law enforcement. “Due to existing security measures that were already in place at RMH, the incident had been contained by the time that it was discovered on February 13, 2018,” an RMH spokesperson told Threatpost.

Applebees sucks. Last time I went there, the steak was as tough as boot leather.

Never get the steak at those type places, you're just inviting unnecessary pain in your life. lol

Lots of those chain restaurants are using the shitty tablet POS.

I think I was at an olive garden last time I saw one.

Always think about how long it will be until someone exploits them to skim credit cards.

Applebees sucks. Last time I went there, the steak was as tough as boot leather.
Well if your meal cost less than $20 with all the sides you probably shouldn't complain about the quality of said meal :D

That said, my 2nd to last experience there was that I went to the bathroom, and one of the employees was in there, I left the bathroom after washing my hands, he was still peeing, and not 10 seconds after I left he came out... ewwww WASH YOUR HANDS!! But it's better, he brought the food to us with his thumb on the plate physically touching the french fries... needless to say corporate got my feedback on that and the manager called me up and apologizes, basically said that guy got fired because he was a poor employee, and sent me like $50 of gift cards... so yeah I ate another $50 worth of food.

Well if your meal cost less than $20 with all the sides you probably shouldn't complain about the quality of said meal :D

That said, my 2nd to last experience there was that I went to the bathroom, and one of the employees was in there, I left the bathroom after washing my hands, he was still peeing, and not 10 seconds after I left he came out... ewwww WASH YOUR HANDS!! But it's better, he brought the food to us with his thumb on the plate physically touching the french fries... needless to say corporate got my feedback on that and the manager called me up and apologizes, basically said that guy got fired because he was a poor employee, and sent me like $50 of gift cards... so yeah I ate another $50 worth of food.

Well if your worried about hygiene you should probably prepare your own meals instead of dining out. :D

Well thankfully I have not been to either of the two locations here in 2+ years. Both are on the list. :eek:

Crapplebees.. how do they survive?!

I go once about every 10 years, no joke. After 10 years I get curious what this shit is and then I'm good for another 10. And no, never on anniversaries.

Did you have them cook it any more than medium? If so, then there's your problem! Cooking a steak any more than medium should be one of those deadly sins. You just don't do it! Do it to a cheap piece of meat like hamburger.

Did you have them cook it any more than medium? If so, then there's your problem! Cooking a steak any more than medium should be one of those deadly sins. You just don't do it! Do it to a cheap piece of meat like hamburger.

Counldn't tell you, medium / medium well depending on the cut is usually how I like them.

My knee jerk reaction is, "good." Maybe these events will encourage people to take secure design more seriously. Realistically, it won't. Money will be thrown.

Never get the steak at those type places, you're just inviting unnecessary pain in your life. lol

Lots of those chain restaurants are using the shitty tablet POS.

I think I was at an olive garden last time I saw one.

Always think about how long it will be until someone exploits them to skim credit cards.
And people laugh at those of us who still use cash. It always warms my heart every time my server becomes exasperated when I tell them I'm paying with cash.

And people laugh at those of us who still use cash. It always warms my heart every time my server becomes exasperated when I tell them I'm paying with cash.

I totally agree with you. When I do our weekly shopping or take us out I'm always amazed at being one of the very few in line who pays in cash. I could be wrong but tally all stolen numbers from home depot, target, Applebees, card skimmers at ATM/gas pumps, and any other physical stores I'm not remembering, and I'm pretty sure it far exceeds the number of cash theft from individuals in the last 3 years. I admit the big difference is the possibility of physical harm to the one carrying cash but outside of drug deals gone bad, those stories have become pretty rare too.

Lets also not forget that extra buzz we get to enjoy in handling cash thanks to our overseas friends! :)

Unfortunate to hear. Companies that use such technology when money is at stake need to have better security measures. I certainly will be more cautious. Using cash is an option.

Actually I like my hamburger patties cooked medium rare, thanks very much - if using proper angus mince, as you should be, then that's the way they should be done. As for steaks, I like my steak to be briefly waved over the frying pan to introduce itself, and that's it.

So only if they ran your card at the register? That doesn't make sense.

This link should be added to the post: https://www.rmhfranchise.com/dataincident/

It makes perfect sense, any orders placed through their website weren't affected and any payments made at the table using the tablet/game console thing weren't affected. You're only affected if you had your server or bartender run your card through their POS system.

Good link though, looks like it's limited to specific geographic locations, RMH only appears to own restaurants in 15 states and some of them it's only 1 or 2.

I am amazed Applebee's is still around. I have seen better restaurants, in terms of food quality, fail. Not sure what keeps them afloat. Do they have their own cryptocurrency yet?

I am amazed Applebee's is still around. I have seen better restaurants, in terms of food quality, fail. Not sure what keeps them afloat. Do they have their own cryptocurrency yet?
Chain restaurant that offers something to the least common denominator. Same reason something like Dominos or Pizza Hut still exists. Plus in those little pop up suburbs that are happening around major cities (often because housing is cheaper, and new) these types of restaurants are literally the bread and butter of choices for food as they aren't very old and it's easier to pop a chain in then for someone trying to start up his own restaurant business (doubly so considering the ingredients you'd need often won't be available)

Last edited:
“Due to existing security measures that were already in place at RMH, the incident had been contained by the time that it was discovered on February 13, 2018,”

um.. im calling BS. Your security measures allowed it to work for a couple months, before it was contained, by something else obviously.

and all the food snobbery posts make me chuckle, thanks for my morning chuckle

:D

if using proper angus mince, as you should be, then that's the way they should be done.
Food snobs. The meat I should be using, and how it should be cooked is how I like it, not how someone else says it "should be done." BTW, "Angus" means nothing when it comes to beef, unless you personally know the rancher and have purchased a true Angus steer for butchering. "Angus" for meat purposes just means the cow that was butchered has a certain percentage of black fur.

A little more on topic - Yay! Another reason for me to refuse to go to Applebees. Never cared for that place, but some of my friends think that's the only place to eat.

I'm really starting to consider going back to all cash as much as possible, especially at restaurants and gas stations.

Back