Portugese Lawmakers Draft Bill Legalizing Some DRM Circumvention

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Lawmakers in Portugal have passed a bill that bans DRM for works deemed to be in the public domain or publicly funded. Citizens will be allowed to circumvent DRM in cases of fair use such as format shifting, and making backups. Educators are granted the right to circumvent copyrighted works for education and scientific purposes. The bill is now headed to the desk of the president to be signed into law. Since Portugal is a part of the EU, this may have implications in other countries as they deal with the DRM issue in the modern age.

I wonder will similar laws get passed in America? If more of the EU passes fair use laws, will we eventually adopt them also? I'd love to generate a time limited token for my friends to listen to my favorite songs on my music streaming service of choice. I'd love to not have to research how to break the encryption on a Blu-Ray that I bought so that I can watch the movie on my phone.

The bill, which received general approval last December, tackles the main issues head-on by granting copying permission in some circumstances and by flat-out banning the use of DRM when the public should have right of access to a copyrighted work. In a boost to educators, citizens will be given the right to circumvent DRM for teaching and scientific research purposes. There will also be an exception for private copying. The draft also outlaws the use of DRM on copyright works that have fallen into the public domain, works which support cultural heritage, and works that were created by public entities or funded with public money.

Copies for personal use. Good.
Copies for educational use and research. Good again.
Copies for stuff funded by public/tax payer money. Good.

Dribble drabble liberal something or a rather European Country....

Back