Ports blocked but NO firewall/router?

perplex

Gawd
Hi, my computer seems to block all ports even though I have no firewall or router. I can do things like IRC and web browsing but I can't receive DCC in IRC or use file share programs. I can send with DCC though.

When I do online port scans all ports seem to be closed/blocked.

Any ideas?

perplex said:
Any ideas?

Not without some more details.

Home computer? At the office? At a school? Behind some other type of network?

If a home computer, what type of connection? What make/model broadband router/appliance?

What OS?

Windows XP, no router, no network.

When I use laptop it's ok. So it sounds like something to do with the Windows on the desktop? and no, it's not Windows Firewall, that's disabled.

perplex said:
Windows XP, no router, no network.

When I use laptop it's ok. So it sounds like something to do with the Windows on the desktop? and no, it's not Windows Firewall, that's disabled.
:confused: No network??? Uh...how are you doing IRC then? Are you osmosing data through the cosmos? Whoa...you are 1337! :rolleyes:

Seriously...more details. LOTs more.

Edit: your Internet connection is a network connection. Also, what level of service pack are you running on XP? If you have SP2 you may have Windows Firewall on which could be blocking that stuff.

I had a ISP a while back the had there own firewall, I had to pay an extra 415 a month to get Static IP service that didn't have the firewall. or like someone else said if you have SP2 it has a built in firwall theat is enabled by default.

Back