Ports blocked but NO firewall/router?

perplex

Gawd
Hi, my computer seems to block all ports even though I have no firewall or router. I can do things like IRC and web browsing but I can't receive DCC in IRC or use file share programs. I can send with DCC though.

When I do online port scans all ports seem to be closed/blocked.

Any ideas?

YeOldeStonecat

[H]F Junkie
perplex said:
Any ideas?

Not without some more details.

Home computer? At the office? At a school? Behind some other type of network?

If a home computer, what type of connection? What make/model broadband router/appliance?

What OS?

perplex

Gawd
Windows XP, no router, no network.

When I use laptop it's ok. So it sounds like something to do with the Windows on the desktop? and no, it's not Windows Firewall, that's disabled.

Wolf-R1

[H]ard|Gawd
perplex said:
Windows XP, no router, no network.

When I use laptop it's ok. So it sounds like something to do with the Windows on the desktop? and no, it's not Windows Firewall, that's disabled.
:confused: No network??? Uh...how are you doing IRC then? Are you osmosing data through the cosmos? Whoa...you are 1337! :rolleyes:

Seriously...more details. LOTs more.

Edit: your Internet connection is a network connection. Also, what level of service pack are you running on XP? If you have SP2 you may have Windows Firewall on which could be blocking that stuff.

Diablo2K

Supreme [H]ardness
I had a ISP a while back the had there own firewall, I had to pay an extra 415 a month to get Static IP service that didn't have the firewall. or like someone else said if you have SP2 it has a built in firwall theat is enabled by default.