Portal with RTX

I'm not surprised it's more tech demo than game ATM, gotta push that 4090 sales

Gonna try it in a few on my 3060ti, already have the new driver

I'm not surprised it's more tech demo than game ATM, gotta push that 4090 sales

Gonna try it in a few on my 3060ti, already have the new driver
It's a mod, not a game. I see it as a value add if you have a card that can play it. NVIDIA isn't really pushing it in their advertising other than saying "it's out now" today.

On a 3060 Ti @ 1440P, I've found DLSS on "Performance," minimum bounces = 1, and max bounces = 2, everything else high/ultra seems to be playable at around 40-50fps. Got to the 10th puzzle when the game crashed. :ROFLMAO:

It did look quite stunning for being such an old game, even in performance mode.

Last edited:
I definitely need to mess around with the settings a little but with all the RT settings at default (Ultra preset) the game will run around 35-40FPS with DLSS set to balanced and around 20-30 with DLSS at Performance. This is running at 3440x1440. I went through the first 13 chambers. The RT is really impressive, though it definitely highlights how old the game is at times. I plan to mess around with the settings and see what it takes to get to 60fps after work tonight.

Gonna try this at 4k on my 3090 when im off work. Hoping to tweak a few setting to get more than 30fps

Just tried on my mobile 3070Ti and similar results to the 2080. pretty much have to turn off RTX to get RTX to work at enjoyable framerates... ;)

At least it's a solid free update for everyone, even without raytracing I believe. There are some fairly substantial texture & model improvements that I would hope work even without raytracing enabled.

wow it runs like totally ass on my machine @1080p even. 3080 10gb, 3800x, 32gb ram. I did turn DLSS off. I didn't change any other settings that the game didn't set for me.

Is it only DLSS 3.0?
Maybe related. I've noticed there are 2x DLSS DLL files in the game's folders. Haven't seen the "dlssg" file in any game before this one.
1670538282960.png

Maybe related. I've noticed there are 2x DLSS DLL files in the game's folders. Haven't see the "dlssg" file in any game before this one.
View attachment 532809
Interesting, on my 3090 it crashed on like the 3rd or 4th stage so I didn't get to mess with the settings much. I know when you do "control + x" it brings up a DLSS 3.0 settings menu.

Well I tried swapping the nvngx_dlssG.dll file with the original, and the game wouldn't boot. But when I used a DLSS 2.4.12 DLL file, the game ate it and booted fine. As far as I can tell, it runs the same as the DLSS 3.0 file originally in there, granted I don't have the frame generation either way.

Last edited:
Not unexpected, but a mess with a 6800XT. 13 fps avg. I'll run it on the 3090 later.

Finished my playthrough with a 3080Ti. 1440p, DLSS on quality, ultra settings. Got somewhere between 30-50 FPS the entire game. No crashes and on the latest driver.

There were a couple of times where I was impressed by the ray tracing. Over all it is much prettier but had I not played the game before I probably would have lowered settings to try to get a consistent 60+ FPS. Ray tracing will be super nice when cards can do it without the huge performance hit.

Finished my playthrough with a 3080Ti. 1440p, DLSS on quality, ultra settings. Got somewhere between 30-50 FPS the entire game. No crashes and on the latest driver.

There were a couple of times where I was impressed by the ray tracing. Over all it is much prettier but had I not played the game before I probably would have lowered settings to try to get a consistent 60+ FPS. Ray tracing will be super nice when cards can do it without the huge performance hit.
How are you changing DLSS options? I don't see it anywhere in the menu. Im getting 30-38 FPS on the default settting on my 3090 at 4k would like to bump this up a bit...

I must be missing something; I maxed every setting and it doesn't look very impressive to me. And no HDR either, looks pretty dull/boring.

How are you changing DLSS options? I don't see it anywhere in the menu. Im getting 30-38 FPS on the default settting on my 3090 at 4k would like to bump this up a bit...
Alt+X brings up DLSS and ray tracing settings.

Oh yeah that's a lot better. I had to set it to performance DLSS and high preset at 4k to get a reasonable 48-54 FPS with my 3090 / 5900x.
I found this to be pretty playable with a VRR monitor at that FPS level where as the 32 FPS I was getting with no DLSS was crappy.

I was happy in this case to trade a reduction in overall IQ with DLSS performance for the benefits the RTX effect this provided in this game. I say that as someone who has so far not really been wowed much by raytracing outside of Minecraft.

Don't judge it by the first couple levels and think it looks like crap. Keep going because they introduce a lot more lighting and scene details that show it off more and it seemed to really enhance immersion for me. It would be nice to get 120 / Ultra but I don't feel like breaking the bank to get there so I'm glad this is actually what I would consider playable and fun on my "last gen" GPU. I am taking a break right now at 16/19.

PSA for 40-series cards: disable NVCP V-Sync if you plan to use DLSS3 FG in this game. That will get rid of the input lag and stutter.

Definitely need frame generation. Using DLSS Quality with frame generation, getting 120+ fps @ 1440p. Though I've also gone into the developer settings and cranked up some more details. They give you near total control over everything, so if you wanted too, you could bring the game to a crawl @ 1080p on the very best hardware.

For giggles, running a very bottlenecked 3090 and a 12400 on a b660 board reveals good frame rates, but it crashes.

I do not feel inspired to replay this title regardless.

New games please, not reboots

Got about 15-20 fps on high settings for the first test chambers. Think I'll revisit playing this in a few years after a few upgrades.

The lighting is pretty awesome. But man, Portal just isn't very fun on the second playthrough. Once you figure out the puzzle there isn't much to be enjoyed unless you want to go for acheivements or speedruns.

One thing that is very weird is seeing your shadow but not being able to look down and see your feet or body that is actually making the shadow.

The lighting is pretty awesome. But man, Portal just isn't very fun on the second playthrough. Once you figure out the puzzle there isn't much to be enjoyed unless you want to go for acheivements or speedruns.

One thing that is very weird is seeing your shadow but not being able to look down and see your feet or body that is actually making the shadow.

to me, it has more replay value than quake 2 did - way higher-quality textures, and way more fun key search!

It's a mod on a very very very very very old game. Portal 2 (circa HL 2) is old and that wasn't the target, it's adding RT to OG Portal (circa original HL), which is ancient.

RT has found it's home (?), retro gaming? (not that it's bad, just an observation)

It's a mod on a very very very very very old game. Portal 2 (circa HL 2) is old and that wasn't the target, it's adding RT to OG Portal (circa original HL), which is ancient.

RT has found it's home (?), retro gaming? (not that it's bad, just an observation)

Resource intensive thing easier to implement in non resource intensive games, not really that shocking

Your dates are off. Portal 1 was released as part of the Orange Box along-side the release of TF2 and Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Portal 1 is an older game, but we're talking 15 years old and not 24 like HL1. Portal 2 was 2011 so it's only a few years nearer than the original.

Your dates are off. Portal 1 was released as part of the Orange Box along-side the release of TF2 and Half-Life 2 Episode 2. Portal 1 is an older game, but we're talking 15 years old and not 24 like HL1. Portal 2 was 2011 so it's only a few years nearer than the original.
Ok, remove a very. Portal is still ancient.

Edit: Let me spell it out better, Portal and Portal 2 can run ok on an iGPU.

Last edited:
I never bought Portal...this sounds like a good reason to finally pick it up...
I think it's highly overrated.
I got it with the Orange Box years ago which i bought for HL2:E2, and even back then I didn't find it spectacular.
I've only played it once, and I usually replay all my games numerous times.

Now that it has RT, I'll for sure give it another go.

I think it's highly overrated.
I got it with the Orange Box years ago which i bought for HL2:E2, and even back then I didn't find it spectacular.
I've only played it once, and I usually replay all my games numerous times.

Now that it has RT, I'll for sure give it another go.

the reason I never bought it when it came out was that I was not really a fan of the puzzle box/platform genre...but I am a huge fan of visuals/RT/path tracing so for that reason I'm now interested even if the gameplay is not really my thing...plus the game will be super cheap now as it's 15 years old

the reason I never bought it when it came out was that I was not really a fan of the puzzle box/platform genre...but I am a huge fan of visuals/RT/path tracing so for that reason I'm now interested even if the gameplay is not really my thing...plus the game will be super cheap now as it's 15 years old
Yeah I'm not a fan of that genre either, if it hadn't of come with the Orange Box, I still wouldn't of bought it, let alone part 2.

Back