Portal with RTX

Odd choice I thought, not a game I really think of to showcase RTX tech.
They were more showcasing the modding toolkit that lets games to be remastered for RTX. And the difference is far more striking with older games than the newest AAA games, not to mention the RT performance hit is lower on older games with typically less polys and complexity.

Because they weren't showcasing RTX. They were showcasing a toolkit that allows games to be remastered for RTX. And the difference is far more striking with older games than the newest AAA games.
Ah that makes sense, I was not watching so couldn't pick up on that. Here's to hoping a bunch of older games get the RTX remaster then!

They were more showcasing the modding toolkit that lets games to be remastered for RTX. And the difference is far more striking with older games than the newest AAA games, not to mention the RT performance hit is lower on older games with typically less polys and complexity.

Do you think a lot of remasters will likely pick up on this?

Do you think a lot of remasters will likely pick up on this?
It seems more targeted toward modders than game developers, so I could see it picking up steam.

It's potentially smart strategy in Nvidia's goal to increase RTX adoption: they recognized the modding community as an infinite and passionate source of free labor that will effectively give people more reasons to buy RTX cards. Contrasted to game developers who don't necessarily see RTX or AI texture remasters as a revenue stream ("If we add RTX or new AI generated textures to our existing games, PC gamers will just expect it as a free update, so why bother.").

Last edited:
Is this Portal mod exclusive to 4000 series? will 3000 and 2000 be able to run it? AMD? Intel?

Portal 1 (non RTX) would run on a potato (portal 2 pun intended), does RTX make it unplayable on non-4000 cards?

(i only ask because my kids just discovered Portal, and I would like them to be able to try this without the "nvidia 4000 series tax")

It's a weird choice because so much of Portal's visual character came from its bland institutional lighting and design. I'm not saying I don't approve, but F.E.A.R. strikes me as a much more potentially impressive use of the tech...

The funniest part to me is where they kept displaying "PORTAL RTX" in all the performance slides, a game that doesn't even fucking exist yet and was 100% built to show off DLSS 3.0.

Honestly looked at the Portal clip and said "I like it a lot better the original way" :p

Meanwhile, Newegg has reportedly leased hundreds of Semi Trucks loaded with 30-series cards and they appear to be traveling to New Mexico............*
OIP.jpg

*maybe ;)

Meanwhile, Newegg has reportedly leased hundreds of Semi Trucks loaded with 30-series cards and they appear to be traveling to New Mexico............*

;)
After their horrible Shuffle bundles, I would think what is happening to them now is Karma.

Might actually make John Carmack come back to games programming. He will unify geometry, materials, and lighting with path-tracing and throw DLSS in the trash bin.
He's all in on AGI now. And predicts they'll have something in 5 years.

Looks awesome. I'll play it if my 3080ti can handle it.

My only concern is one of the things that makes source titles so enjoyable is the fluidity of playing with fps in the hundreds.

I don't remember the game being so short but when your on your 12th play-thru or whatever I guess it doesn't take as long as it once did. Would love a Portal 2 RTX.

Is this Portal mod exclusive to 4000 series? will 3000 and 2000 be able to run it? AMD? Intel?

Portal 1 (non RTX) would run on a potato (portal 2 pun intended), does RTX make it unplayable on non-4000 cards?

(i only ask because my kids just discovered Portal, and I would like them to be able to try this without the "nvidia 4000 series tax")
I've played about 40 minutes of the game. It looks great and plays fine on a 2070.

Back