Portal 2 pc/ps3 question

tpfaff

2[H]4U
Amazon has a 20 credit for portal 2 but its only for the ps3/360 version. If i buy the ps3 version (which comes with a free pc copy) can I register the pc copy on steam and sell the ps3 copy, or is there some type of protection that links them together?

Note: I do not own a ps3.

You have to activate the PS3 copy first on your steam account before you can download it on PC, so, no.

Ok, as I thought, thank you.

Edit: What's stopping me from registering it and selling it though? Will the ps3 game function as a stand alone product?

Last edited:
Edit: What's stopping me from registering it and selling it though? Will the ps3 game function as a stand alone product?

You can sell it but the buyer will not be able to use the copy. The game will be linked to a single Steam account and only one person can play it at a time using that account. This is not going to be like your typical console game where the same disk can be used and reused by multiple people.

I know this is steam so it's the way it is.

In a semi-related rant, I will not buy new games in a world that I can't sell my games when I'm done. I'll just wait until everything is budget price at that point. The industries little scam isn't going to work on me.

No one knows for sure anything about this yet really, and Valve and Sony aren't talking.

The general consensus regarding the setup is - you load up the Ps3 version, it asks if you have a Steam account already. You hit yes, enter the credentials, it then links your Steam account to your PSN account and dumps a "complimentary" (as Steam words it) copy of Portal 2 into your Steam account on the PC.

There will surely be a code or something that has to be entered so people who buy used Ps3 copies can't get the PC copy if it's already been redeemed, otherwise one person can buy the Ps3 version and pass the disc around to all of his friends and they'd all get free PC copies. Valve is nice, but no company is that nice. ;)

Really -- why would valvae sell you something for $60 that is worth $120, then let you turn around and sell it again for $60. It would cut their sales exponentially. This mentality is what is driving publishers to implement methods that make reselling a product difficult...

I normally would have jumped on this on the PC, as thats where I would be playing it. However, if I get the same thing on the PS3, I might as well buy that copy and I can play in the office or the living room...

Definitive answers are now available :)
https:// support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php? ref=5477-WPJM-9388 (link won't post, so remove the extra spaces)
TL;DR/cliff notes version http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/13/portal-2-for-ps3-steam-details-steam-cloud-steam-play-steam-y/

YESSSSSSDSSSSSS!!!!! PS3 version for me! I can play Portal 2 in the living room on the 58 inch plasma or play in my bedroom on the PC or if I am at a friend's house with neither, I can play on his Mac. Steamworks is epic.

Short answer from the steam support link for people hoping to buy the PS3 version and then give it to a friend after unlocking the PC version.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php+++++++5477-WPJM-9388#features
Can two players play online co-op with each other using a single purchase of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3?

Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.

It sounds like that means the one-time code is also required to play the PS3 version, or this could all be lies. There hasn't been a console game yet that you couldn't give to a friend when you were done with it ... has there? I guess we'll see after the game comes out.

From what I've read, you can buy the PS3 copy, register it for PC copy, and sell the PS3 copy. With the flood of second hand copies, it will vastly decrease resale value.

You have to activate the PS3 copy first on your steam account before you can download it on PC, so, no.
Says the PC code is just in the box. I wouldn't imagine it being different than any other Steam code.

I think the big questions are

"Do you have to enter the unique code to register your PS3 copy for online play/features?" This would limit second-hand discs to being offline only.

and

"Do you have to enter the unique code to register your PS3 copy to play at all?" This would limit second-hand discs to being coasters.

No Valve statements (I've read) confirm or deny either scenario, but they have indicated that you can't play online PC/PS3 co-op by only purchasing the PS3 copy.

I think even if it limits resell for the PS3 , its still cool that PS3 players can play co-op with PC players. Last time I can remember a game doing cross platform co-op well was Shadowrun but Portal is quite popular so I'm sure it'll have the staying power Shadowrun lacked (I know its still played but a 2,000 player base is basically life support).

Says the PC code is just in the box. I wouldn't imagine it being different than any other Steam code.

Well sure, but like it's been stated over and over you have to register the PS3 copy first. Otherwise tons of people would be buying the PS3 version, register the PC version then sell the PS3 version effectively getting a free game out of it.

From what I've read, you can buy the PS3 copy, register it for PC copy, and sell the PS3 copy. With the flood of second hand copies, it will vastly decrease resale value.

No, the 2 games are tied to the same steam account I believe. Portal 2 will also be more expensive on the PS3 than the stand alone PC.

No, the 2 games are tied to the same steam account I believe. Portal 2 will also be more expensive on the PS3 than the stand alone PC.

Per this interview: http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/previews/valve-portal-2-interview.html

GZ: So someone buying a second hand copy of the PS3 version would still have access to the co-op even if the code has already been redeemed?

JB: Yes, they would.

GZ: Does that leave the system open to abuse? Let's say I want to pick up the PC version. Are there any measures stopping me from buying the PS3 version, linking the code to my Steam account, immediately selling back the PS3 game to a store and effectively getting a PC copy for next to nothing?

JB: No, I don't think there's anything that would prevent that. We're willing to take the risk that someone might jump through all those hoops to create what we think is a really compelling feature that people are going to like.

So what you believe is incorrect. One PS3 copy can serve multiple accounts, however, only the one that links account can take advantage of the "full" steam abilities. But most people who are going to buy second hand copies will most likely not going to care for the steam abilities.

You are right about Valve going to make more money from PC gamers buying the PS3 version solely for the PC version.

This is the gist of it.

If you buy the Ps3 copy, there's a code in the box to use in Steam on the PC to download the PC copy. The code can be used 1 time.

When you start up the game on the Ps3, it asks if you have a Steam account, because a Steam account is required to play online and use Steam Cloud for saves from 1 Ps3 to another. Once you log in or create a Steam account, it ties your Steam account to your PSN username.

If you want to buy 1 copy for Ps3 and do online co-op in your house with someone on PC, it's possible.

-You load the game on Ps3, tie in your Steam and PSN accounts. Go to a PC, log on to Steam, redeem the code. DL a copy on the PC under your Steam account.
-Go back to the Ps3, sign out. Have someone else (ie your friend/brother/sister/spouse/whatever) sign in with their own PSN account. Load up Portal again. Tie person #2's PSN account to their own Steam account (or make a new one for them).
-You play on PC in Steam under your username, person #2 plays on the Ps3 under their PSN/Steam username.

Got it?
Unless Valve starts to filter IP addresses for online play to only allowing 1 IP address per online game, this will work just fine.
Technically, redeeming the code isn't even a part of the equation. It might not be mandatory to tie the accounts before redeeming the code, but no one will know until the game is released next Tuesday.
Anyone can load the game, sign into a Steam account on the Ps3, and play the game; otherwise, the game couldn't be sold used because each individual copy would be tied to the first PSN/Steam username that used it.

Good post on the Steam forums further explaining this:
The method of unlocking the game for PC/Mac is a code in the box. Anyone can log into their Steam account from the PS3 game, allowing them to cross-platform play, see friends list, and use the Steam cloud for saves.

However only one person can redeem the PC/Mac code. So you can redeem the code, and then play on your account on PC, while he plays on the PS3 logged into his own Steam account. The linking of Steam and PSN accounts may mean that you only log into your Steam account while also logged into your own PSN account, but that's easy enough to switch between. Make sense?

No Valve statements (I've read) confirm or deny either scenario, but they have indicated that you can't play online PC/PS3 co-op by only purchasing the PS3 copy.

That's incorrect.
From Valve's FAQ
How do I access Steam on my PlayStation®3?
Once you have started Portal 2 on your PlayStation®3, you can access the Steam Overlay at any time simply by pressing the SELECT button on your PS3™ controller.

What are some features the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3 provides?
Among the features available in the Steam Overlay on PlayStation®3:

• Play cross-platform from your PlayStation®3 with Steam friends on Windows or Mac.
• Access your Steam friends list, enabling you to chat with, add, or remove Steam friends.
• Access redeemed downloadable content registered in Windows or Mac, and vice-versa
• View your Steam friends’ community profiles.
• View your earned Steam Achievements, as well as global achievement stats, for Portal 2.
• See the latest news and announcements for Portal 2.

Nowhere does it say anything about requiring the code to play Ps3 to PC. It doesn't even say anywhere else on the FAQ that only people who have redeemed the code can play online, Ps3 to PC. Again, that would completely ruin used copies of the game and also piss off a LOT of people. Think about it.

If you buy a used copy of Portal 2 for Ps3 with no code paper (or the code has been redeemed) you should still be able to start the game, tie in your PSN and Steam account, and play online. The only thing the code is used for is the free copy on PC; the code has nothing to do with online play (cross-platform or console to console).

Last edited:
Hmm, this makes me wonder if a place like say, Blockbuster may just happen to leave a code in for the PC from the rental copies. I have my preorder payed off....but who knows? :rolleyes:

That's incorrect.

Nothing I wrote was incorrect. Valve has said it both ways ...

The official faq indicates you CAN'T play coop PC/PS3 from one PS3 purchase.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php+++++++5477-WPJM-9388#ps3codeforpc
an two players play online co-op with each other using a single purchase of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3?

Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.

Contradicts this interview (from 4/13)
http://www.gamerzines.com/ps3/previe...interview.html
GZ: So someone buying a second hand copy of the PS3 version would still have access to the co-op even if the code has already been redeemed?

JB: Yes, they would.

GZ: Does that leave the system open to abuse? Let's say I want to pick up the PC version. Are there any measures stopping me from buying the PS3 version, linking the code to my Steam account, immediately selling back the PS3 game to a store and effectively getting a PC copy for next to nothing?

JB: No, I don't think there's anything that would prevent that. We're willing to take the risk that someone might jump through all those hoops to create what we think is a really compelling feature that people are going to like.

So yes, Valve has indicated both that you CAN'T and CAN play coop online between PC and PS3 by purchasing one new PS3 copy of the game.

My guess is that the 4/13 interview is correct because the only way the FAQ's statement could be enforced would be to somehow tie the PS3 disc to a single PSN account.

Valve FAQ said:
The game is still owned by only a single Steam account

Absolutely. You own 1 copy of the game, when you sign in to the Ps3 or the PC version you are also signed into Steam across both platforms and therefore you can only boot 1 copy at a time under your Steam name.

However ~
If you use the game disc, get the free PC version on your Steam account, and then give your brother/friend/whatever the Ps3 disc, have them boot it in a Ps3 (yours, theirs, anyone's), have them sign into their own PSN account and tie that into their own Steam account (on the Ps3), all Valve/Steam sees is you being online on the PC playing your free PC copy and someone else in the world playing the game on Ps3 that is on your friend list on the Ps3 version under their own name. Nothing on the game disc or on their end is going to say "hey, xxGladosLivesxx is playing a copy that [Chell4Ever] gave them!"

Again, if the Ps3 game actually tied itself into a specific Steam or PSN username, the copy of the game would be worthless past the first time being loaded. That's pretty much impossible to do (at least from a PR standpoint). Even if Valve tried to pull that shit (and they're not), Sony wouldn't let them get away with it; NO console maker would. This isn't much different than buying a game on Steam and playing a LAN match in offline mode on 2+ computers; people do that all the time at LANfests (or so I've heard).

This is essentially exactly what me and my wife are going to do. I want to play the game on PC, she's ok with playing it on the Ps3. I'm going to sign her up for her own PSN and Steam accounts and dump the free copy into my Steam account on the PC. We'll play online coop that way rather than opening Steam on 1 computer, signing in, going to offline mode, then going to the other computer and loading Steam on it and going into offline mode and then starting the game and choosing to do coop over LAN.

Last edited:
Ok so I'm going to buy the ps3 version, take the code for the pc version out of the box, and then resell the ps3 version. Sounds good.

I actually ended just buying it on steam out of pure laziness.... haha

Edit: and the possibility of an early steam release

Also, it was cheap! With a friend, I was able to get the game for $40. Great deal, IMO. A refreshing change from getting raped for $60.

Back