Portal 2 Adoption News "Controversy"

Crap, I played and beat Portal 2 and never knew it was 'billing itself as an educational title'. Oh well, at least I didn't learn anything, I think, or did I? Oh crap!

I'm not adopted, but my understanding from talking to people is that it's only for the adoptive parents that it's a big deal, the child usually think nothing of it. Adopting children is something humans have done for various reasons for thousands of years and some animals adopt as well. This is just parents worrying too much, but that's what parents do, sometimes they worry a bit too much. You can't let your child live in a bubble because you are so afraid that he/she can get hurt.

I got so raged when I heard they contacted Sony, and Sony told them to contact Valve... morons... contact your stupid ESRB... find out why it isn't rated T... or in this case maybe it's rated JO, for Jesus Only? Since that dudes vagina is so hurt from the taunting.

Imagine if he played Battlefield or something.

As a Potato-American I was deeply offended by the derogatory and hurtful remarks made in reference to Potatoes and exploitative use of the Potato community in that game. Portal 2 should be banned immediately and I expect news coverage of my Potato outrage forthwith.

The quote from the video was too short to have proper context that:
1) Wheatly is a moron
2) GLaDOS was a villian but was trying to be an agent of 'good' while recovering her body
3) Parenting and being 'unloved' is one of the tactics that the AIs used to insult the human testers (as the AIs consider it a weakness that they have no need of)

Even with this in mind, the clip they showed where Wheatly said 'Fatty fatty...etc..adopted...' GLaDOS says 'So what? (which you can't really hear in the video) and then GLaDOS then goes on to speak to Chell: "Yes, you are adopted, and that's terrible" but the THAT was referring to what Wheatly was saying! She was standing up for Chell. In fact later Wheatly tries to insult her weight, and again GLaDOS says 'She's not fat...'

At least that's what I took from it when I played. Seriously, an idiot dad being hypersensitive and bringing unjustified attention to a really great game.

You know, I'm the last one to jump on the game hating bandwagon as 99.9% of it is complete bullshit, but if I had an 11 year old adopted girl who was playing the game, I would probably be pretty pissed too. Sure to some of you adoptees who are adults under stand the context and can laugh it off, but young girls have enough image problems without their favorite games assaulting them. Yes, it's probably a lot better than some stuff they've heard at school but still.

I can understand why the guy was upset.

Seriously, I fucking hate people that are so insecure and narrow minded. Did the game say, "You there, little suki living at 2214 fuck all ave., you suck and your parents gave you up cause your a worthless piece." No, the game did not, it was a character in a game insulting another character. I don't get upset when media makes fun of white people, or veterans, or anything else that pertains to my life. It's society poking fun at itself, plain and simple. If he's gonna bitch about the comment, then he should obviously be complaining to England since the voice actor clearly has a british accent. Go ask the parliment why they allow their citizens to be "so insensitive".

Grow the fuck up. Everyone. The over-sensitivities that American society has come to is god damn rediculous.

Hey, any publicity is good publicity. This can only help valve. Or I guess, if I was an fat idiot news anchor, sony.

What I like is when the father said:

"She's sticking to her guns that she didn't hear it, and that means she's not ready to talk about it" ... hey genius... maybe it means, oh I don't know... she didn't hear it? Hell, I played through the game WITH SUBTITLES and I don't even remember that part.

Will the daughter be upset about the comment? Maybe, maybe not; but I can't see how this is "the worst thing that could've possibly been said." It sounds more like the father just isn't ready to have the "you're adopted" talk. Sounds like he needs to buck up and get ready for life... because it's gonna hit him like a ton of bricks when the hard questions come.

You know, I'm the last one to jump on the game hating bandwagon as 99.9% of it is complete bullshit, but if I had an 11 year old adopted girl who was playing the game, I would probably be pretty pissed too. Sure to some of you adoptees who are adults under stand the context and can laugh it off, but young girls have enough image problems without their favorite games assaulting them. Yes, it's probably a lot better than some stuff they've heard at school but still.

I can understand why the guy was trying to get screen time on the television.

FTFY

I love the end of the clip where the reporter mentions she contacted Sony for a comment and Sony told her to contact valve. Then another reporter mentions something like "They are passing the buck onto someone else."

No you morons. Do your job and research something before you report about it. If your going to do a sensationalist piece to piss people off, be ready to blame the right people for the creation of the content, not the distribution. Then when your done that, go to the ESRB and find out why they figured 10+ was a good rating for a game apparently insensitive to adopted kids.

/sarcasm

BTW wasn't there and adoption joke in the first portal too?

Great point, but I also feel that Valve intended Portal 2 to have an E rating and should have exercised a little better judgement.

He's entitled to be upset, but they spent 5 minutes ranting and completely missing the point and one final sentence saying "Even tho he has this complaint, he still says he really enjoys the game and will have his daughter avoid that portion of the game'. How about some balanced to that reporting? Maybe spend 2 minutes establishing context?

Besides, major friggin spoiler alert showing Wheatly in control of the facility and the bad guy. Valve should sue.

What do you think would happen if a news reporting team released that Dumbledore dies in that Harry Potter book? Or that the 6th sense guy was actually a ghost? Seriously.

Srry, wiki and ESRB doesn't agree on the rating, but it's 10+ anyway, not E :
http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=30729

Rating: Everyone 10+

Maybe they should add a new section of information to the ESRB warnings if the player gets taunted or insulted. It's also stupid that there are multiple levels of E; perhaps there should be a new letter for E:10+.

I don't think the line is terrible but if I had very young adopted children I don't think I'd want to play Portal 2 in front of them, so the 10+ rating is probably adequate. The little girl in that clip didn't look like she was 10 - bad parenting?

The kid didn't even seem to notice/care. Leave it to parents to get more offended by a video game than their kids do. He only made the situation (which was incredibly small to begin with) worse with all his whining.

"We did contact Sony who distributes the game, they told us to contact valve, teh company that actually created the game, I did, we have not heard back from them yet"

"Passing the block off to someone else"

"It certainly seems that way"

These "reporters" are C L U E L E S S.

The Video game robot that said that crap about adopted people, was portrayed as a moron throughout the WHOLE game. So Valve is saying that only a moron would say such thing. And so this 'father' has a problem with that? Now that's what I call an attention whore...

What a joke.. This is just some bullshit to get attention/sue valve or some crap.

They are claiming its educational and for kids.. what a bunch of shit.. its not marketed as either..

The commercial does say, "Let's have fun with science". That makes it sound pretty educational to me.

Isn't that the anchor from A Current Affair? I guess she's taking their tabloid television to the local news now...

Holy shit get over your selves! Just because you're offended doesn't mean anything should happen. It's narcissistic self-entitled bullshit that's ruining America.

"You're adopted, and that's terrible" is not a great message to send, even as a joke.
If it's a joke, there is no "message" being sent. If there's an intended message, it can't be expressed within the confines of something intended not to be taken seriously.

The kid probably would not even have thought twice about it if her stupid parents did not make this big deal over it.

Wow people are stupid. If you seriously have trouble "explaining" something like this to your adopted kid you are screwed. She is going to come across things 10x worse than that at school.

In fact later Wheatly tries to insult her weight, and again GLaDOS says 'She's not fat...'

They call her fat through the whole game. Like when the aerial faith plate stops working, she adds few zeroes and then she says that it is not callibrated for your level of "generousness" etc etc.

WTF, Wheatly is the bad guy? Great. No point in playing it now. They just ruined the story for me.

I would feel an apology is in order, I think if someone were to sue that would be outrageous....

This guy is such an idiot anyway, he's obviously never picked up a dictionary. "Orphan" and "Adopted" are two completely different words with different meanings and he uses them interchangeably.

Wow so many levels of dumbass in this "report" that it's astounding. Dumbass parent for being offended, dumbass parent for making a big deal out of it because now it's going to affect his daughter even more, dumbass "reporters" for even bothering to "report" on this, dumbass "reporters" for not doing any fucking research, dumbass "reporters" for claiming the Sony was passing the buck. Sony's only involvement in the matter is that the game is on their bloody platform. Sony isn't the distributer, that's EA. Sony isn't involved in the development, that's all Valve. Why the fuck would they have anything to say about it other than "contact the people that made the game you fucking idiots".

It's rated E for everyone -- except orphans! lol.

This guy is a jackass, and that whole news network made asses of themselves for even airing this story. Hilarious.

DID YOU HEAR THAT?!?!?! OMG!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY MOLY!!!!!!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING ever TO BE IN A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!! I AM F'ING OUTRAGED!!!!!!!!!!!*

Anything to get on TV and try to make a buck eh? What a loser, and the media are the same for their hyperbole.

*not really outraged.

I
No you morons. Do your job and research something before you report about it. If your going to do a sensationalist piece to piss people off, be ready to blame the right people for the creation of the content, not the distribution. Then when your done that, go to the ESRB and find out why they figured 10+ was a good rating for a game apparently insensitive to adopted kids.

/sarcasm

BTW wasn't there and adoption joke in the first portal too?

^^^^^
EXACTLY

how many people were upset when Darth Vader told Luke he was his father? I mean sure there are a lot of black men out there who weren't around when their children were growing up... huh huh?? :D

"Rated E for everybody, except for orphans" - Father in video
This needs to be added to the game since its damn hilarious. :D

As for FOX news, anyone who has played the game knows that this whole thing is quite the farce. Quotes are taken out of context and glados's line was cutoff right before the "but". The protagonist is adopted and the machines saying these things are the antagonists for feck sake, with Weatley portrayed as a moron throughout.

LoL at calling Sony and claiming they are passing the blame. FOX news as always is a joke.

I can understand why the guy was upset.

This...for the most part. I have an adopted child. He is too young to play these games and experience the inevitable teasing he will receive. However, I know I am teaching him to ignore the teasing as ignorant comments. This falls into that category. It is an ignorant thing for Valve to do, but no worse than the fatty jokes. That’s the point though I guess; it’s a joke in a game where the character is supposed to be cruel and ignorant. The issue is the rating. Should it be E or T? I suggest T. A teen is more likely to blow off the joke.

Ultimately, I think the parent does the child an injustice and only adds credibility to the cruel joke. These issues need to be downplayed. He is only teaching the child to overreact. Self esteem comes from the home and positive reinforcement, not from over protective parents shielding them from every insensitive comment.

SCIENCE!

Givin how political correctness is so viral I am surprised those insults did make it into the game. They could have been a lot more clever than that.

P.S. SCIENCE!

LMAO! This guy is pretty much just a moron. If he's thinking about making some money off of this or something then DAMN his parents didn't teach him right.

...or did he even have parents? DUN DUN DUNNNNN :p

Back