Portable View-Finder/Preview-Monitor?

madFive

metal[H]ead
I’m wondering if any of you have ideas on a product that would fit this need.

One disadvantage I’ve noticed of my DSLR is the lack of a positionable preview screen on the back. My last point-and-shoot camera had an lcd on the back that could be rotated 180-deg in all directions that was great for self-portraits and getting weird angles where you wouldn’t be able to get to the view-finder with your face. My current D90 doesn’t have this – if you don’t use the normal optical view-finder it’s a complete trial-and-error crap-shoot; and there is rarely, if ever, a time when it is helpful to use the live-view mode.

The D90 has an HDMI output that you can hook to a monitor and use that as a view-finder when the camera is in live-view mode, and I’ve tried hooking up my 24” pc monitor to it before to do self-portraits. It worked pretty well, but that solution is hardly portable enough for every-day use.

So – what I’m thinking would be a nice accessory to have just-in-case would be something like a 10”, HDMI-input, portable, battery-powered, lcd monitor that I could mount onto my tripod or carry around with me for those weird angles, self portraits, or just for when I want to not have to walk over to the camera to see what’s through the view-finder.

Anyone know if a product already exists that fits this bill? Is there a name for it as a piece of photography gear that I could look for?

Cliffs – looking for:
LCD monitor
Portable
+/- 10” Screen
Battery Powered
HDMI Input
Easy carry handle, or mountable on tripod legs etc.
Reasonably priced: <$200 would be nice
Rugged Water-proof wouldn’t hurt (water photo or outdoors etc); this would obviously require a different budget.

Back