Port Translation Without Router?

gangolfus

Gawd
I just got a new job and it appears that the new company blocks outgoing ports. I have a Synology NAS that I use to stream music from on the go. The NAS uses port 5001, but I can't access it from work. Normally I would just find an open outgoing port then use port translation to switch it to 5001 internally, but my router does not support it. Due to having 2 internet connections at home, switching to another router is not a preferred option (see the fully story here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1668477).

Short of adding another router between my modem and my current router to handle port translation, are there any other options for getting access from work? Is there a free service out there that will do this for me? Is there another totally obvious solution that I am missing?

For the record: Yes, I realize I will likely be breaking corporate policy attempting to circumvent security measures, but all I want to do is stream music, and the company does not block Pandora, so I see it as being no more harmful than speeding.

I just got a new job and it appears that the new company blocks outgoing ports. I have a Synology NAS that I use to stream music from on the go. The NAS uses port 5001, but I can't access it from work. Normally I would just find an open outgoing port then use port translation to switch it to 5001 internally, but my router does not support it. Due to having 2 internet connections at home, switching to another router is not a preferred option (see the fully story here: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1668477).

Short of adding another router between my modem and my current router to handle port translation, are there any other options for getting access from work? Is there a free service out there that will do this for me? Is there another totally obvious solution that I am missing?

For the record: Yes, I realize I will likely be breaking corporate policy attempting to circumvent security measures, but all I want to do is stream music, and the company does not block Pandora, so I see it as being no more harmful than speeding.

so because it's just music, you won't infect the network or cause harm ? OR KILL the incoming bandwith ?

Personally, do your self a favor, go ask permission, if the network admins say NO it's for a reason.

Id say it would sure suck if the big boss found out you were doing it, and got fired JUST because of music, let alone infecting the corporate network with a virus.

If its against policy then its against policy. Ask your IT department.

Back