Port forwarding: trouble opening multiple ports

silk186

[H]ard|Gawd
I had everything set up and working on my previous TP-Link router but when my ISP upgraded me from 100Mbs to 150Mbs I realised that my 1750ac router only has 100MB WAN/LAN. I 'upgraded' to the ISP ZTE ZTE H298a but couldn't get a second port open. I upgraded to a new TP-Link TL-WDR7300 AC2100 gigabit router and once again I can only open one port. I've tried different combinations of a range and individual entries for each port (I want to open 3) but only the first port is open. Any suggestions?

Common Service Port: --Select One-- DNS, FTP, Gopher, HTTP and NNTP. Which is correct?

Last edited:
I don't believe that model is sold in North America, so I can't seem to find a manual in English. Does the screen look this this?

https://www.tp-link.com/hu/faq-72.html

Or like section 4.12 in the WDR4300 manual (Page 73)?

https://static.tp-link.com/resources/document/TL-WDR4300_V1_User_Guide_19100.pdf

That said there is basically no information about what you are trying to accomplish. If you're trying to open up ports for a game, then most likely none of the "common service ports" are correct. You just need to type in the service port at the top and don't select any common service port. That is most likely what you are trying to do. If the ports themselves are say 3 in a row like 9000, 9001, and 9002, you could make a rule that states 9000-9002 and that would allow the range. So you need to know 3 pieces of information.

1. Service Port: What the Internet facing port address will be. In the case of say RDP, you could set it to something like port 1234, and that's the port you would need connect to from OUTSIDE of your network. So if you IP address is 1.2.3.4 on your wan, you would connect to 1.2.3.4:1234 from the internet and it would forward that traffic to what you specify in steps 2 and 3.

2. Internal Port: This is the port that the service is actually running on. So in our example RDP runs on 3389 by default, so we would put 3389 here. If you're using something else like a game, it might be port 24000 or whatever the game needs. (Note that the first link this option is missing. In that case the router is automatically using the service port for both the Internet port and the internal port, so they must match. You would need to make the service port 3389 in order to forward RDP in this case. Definitely not a good idea as it's well known and scanned constantly by bots 24/7)

3. IP Address: This is the IP address of the host inside of your network which is running the service. So if the internal host is 192.168.1.10, we would put 192.168.1.10 here. So in our example, if you were outside of your network a connection to 1.2.3.4:1234 would be forwarded to 192.168.1.10:3389, and you would be able to RDP to that server from outside of your network.

The easiest is to just setup 3 separate rules, one for each port you are trying to open. That way you won't get confused on what's happening. But keep in mind if it's for a game, you probably just want to leave protocol set to ALL since it could be TCP or UDP if you don't know which.

Keep in mind that you ONLY want to be using the Virtual Servers page. The port triggering does something different, so you don't want anything set up there. You also want to make sure DMZ is disabled, and UPnP certainly should be disabled as well if it isn't already.

Back