Port forwarding for hosing servers?

[Tripod]MajorPayne

Supreme [H]ardness
I play Medal of Honor, BFV, CoD, and a few other multiplayer online games with my clan. Every once in a while, we get a few guys on and would like to run a mod of some sort. I have tried everything I know of (limited knowledge) to allow myself to host a server. I have forwarded the default port of the game through my Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless b router (I'm hardwired into it). The main computer's IP (the one I'm on) is 192.168.2.100. How can I successfully forward the port so I can host an online game on my connection. I have the aforementioned router and a Westell WireSpeed modem on a Bellsouth 1.5/256 ADSL connection (I know that's not server-hosting caliber, I just want 4-6 people, so the DSL can handle that.)

EDIT: The title should read: "Port forwarding for hosting servers", not "hosing" servers. I don't usually make typos like that...weird. Oh well, just figured that an error like that could cause all the wrong thoughts. Could a mod fix up my thread title please?

Thanks! :p

Guys, I'd appreciate some help on this. I know there are a lot of you guys that are knowledgeable about this stuff. Please help me if you can!

Thanks!

I usually have to put my computer in the dmz zone with most games to host a game. I have a befsr41 and the port forwarding is limited. I always take the host machine out of the dmz as soon as I am finished hosting. I'm not saying tha t the port forwarding will not work, its just easier for me to put the host in the dmz. It leaves all ports open to the internet so BE SURE TO REMOVE IT!!!! when your done owning ;)

added: Oh yeah the DMZ should be a tab on the router configuration. Just enter the IP address of the gameserver in the DMZ zone.

Right. I was doing that, and forwarding the ports, but now I know why it wasn't working. The problem lay in my modem. The modem has a built-in NAT as well, so it was blocking requests to the router. I simply had to do an "IP Passthrough" so it would allow me to send requests directly to the router, then, if those requests were for the right port, the modem making the request will connect to my server.

So, I've gotten it figured out.

Thanks!

How exactly did you do an "IP pass through"? That may be the problem I'm having.

Disable the routing mode on the Westell, and run it as a pure bridge/dumb-modem. Let the Linksys handle your NAT and PPPoE by itself. (call your ISP and have them walk you through doing this on the Westell)

DMZ is a poor solution to running any services public...the proverbial "bullet in the back of the head". It simply opens/forwards all 65,000 plus ports. Suicide for the computer. Better to spend a couple of minutes finding out only the minimum ports necessary to open/forward, and do those.

Back