Porsche Proves MPAA Wrong By Letting You Download a Car

HardOCP News

[H] News
"You wouldn't download a car." Thanks to Porsche, I really can download a car! Take that MPAA! ;)

The car company is offering 3D blueprints for its Cayman S model, which can be downloaded for free through Porsche’s official site. This allows anyone to print a copy of the car in real size or as a miniature.

Government legislation to ban the printing of automobiles in 3...2...

Government legislation to ban the printing of automobiles in 3...2...
It's fun to go all hyperbole. Can we keep the political bullshit localised to a few threads instead of ALL threads? :p

I can certainly see why. I wouldn't want someone's unsafe vehicles on the road.

If it can pass an inspection I don't see the problem. If the infrastructure existed, I'd totally build a steel frame chassis car with a 3D printed body. Would be safer than what I'm driving now :p

I can certainly see why. I wouldn't want someone's unsafe vehicles on the road.

You can make and license custom and experimental vehicles almost as easily as a new car and in most states they do not require to be smog checked. Car companies like Noble sell kits, a car, engine and instructions to "build" your own personal super car.

If it can pass an inspection I don't see the problem. If the infrastructure existed, I'd totally build a steel frame chassis car with a 3D printed body. Would be safer than what I'm driving now :p

Not sure about steel frame, but we're probably not that far off from being able to buy an electric vehicle power platform (sled) and then sticking your custom body on top.

You can make and license custom and experimental vehicles almost as easily as a new car and in most states they do not require to be smog checked. Car companies like Noble sell kits, a car, engine and instructions to "build" your own personal super car.

Perhaps I should have agreed that government will regulate downloadable cars rather than outright ban it, just as they do kit cars.

You're just mad that Tony Abbot wasn't who you thought he was. :D
LOL, the Australian election was awesome, between Abbott and Rudd, a guy who was kicked out of his own party only to return and kick the person out who kicked him out.

I was interested in printing one, but if you go to the page, the model they show is really poor quality.

Just as I get back to this thread, the page now says not found. :eek:

Back