Popular online FPS games that don't need a playstore (Steam/Uplay/Origin, etc.)

OpenSource Ghost

Limp Gawd
Are there any popular online FPS games that don't depend on a playstore, like Steam, Uplay, Origin, Epic Games Launcher, Rockstar Launcher, Battle.net, etc?

Doesn't that use riot's launcher? It also has kernel level anticheat that OpenSource Ghost might find offensive.
Ehh every big multiplayer game nowadays has an anti cheat that uses kernel level access, as otherwise it's too easy to bypass. Even Valve's VAC has a kernel level edition that gets deployed to user's whose accounts are reported a lot by other users.

Ehh every big multiplayer game nowadays has an anti cheat that uses kernel level access, as otherwise it's too easy to bypass. Even Valve's VAC has a kernel level edition that gets deployed to user's whose accounts are reported a lot by other users.
I don't mind them, but I thought he might given his request and his username.

It's going to be rare for a popular multiplayer game to not have a launcher. They provide services needed for the game to function, but make sense to separate into it's own executable. Things like authorization, dlc checks, microtransaction checks, matchmaking, installations/patches, file verification, friend-list etc

Even console multiplayer games have launchers now, in many cases it's seamless as it's hidden from the user, but it's there running in the background.

I don't think there are any. Most indie games are on Steam. Other games, like MMOs, tend to run on their own publisher specific client/application. You'll be hard pressed to find any multiplayer game that doesn't require something that came out within the past 12 or so years. For popular FPS? I don't think there is a single one.

Only games that don't require such a program these days are GOG games, which are essentially SP games with no DRM. And I cannot think of a single online FPS game that might be on there.

Oh, the good ole days,

gsdssss.jpg

Doesn't that use riot's launcher? It also has kernel level anticheat that OpenSource Ghost might find offensive.
Every modern multiplayer game at minimum uses it's own stand alone launcher for updates, anti cheat, etc.
When I installed Valorant when it was new it was on its own launcher, maybe they combined it to all riot games now, idk.

If he wants an old style game where it literally has no launcher and simply an exe for the straight game, they don't exist anymore.
Because it's a poor user experience to attempt to join a multiplayer game and get a message that you have the wrong version, then have to manually go find where to download the update. The average user won't tolerate that anymore.

Back