Popular Games you left unfinished and why

I have a back log of over 50 games lol. Need to stop buying games I will never get to play.

Oh I hear you there... I'm a sucker for steam sales.... not so much the daily deals or whatever, but when they have the summer and winter sales, oh, I'm on it. That's where I get my games for the next six months until the next sale!

Gears of War Judgement. What a huge pile of crap. Open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, end of level. Small cut scene, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, end of level. The characters don't talk to each other during game and the cut scenes are short and boring.

Originally I thought I never finished Homefront.

Then I realized that I did finish it, but the fact that the game lasted two hours left me with the impression that I had not finished the game. Fancy that, eh?

Gears of War Judgement. What a huge pile of crap. Open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, end of level. Small cut scene, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, open area full of enemies, kill kill kill, end of level. The characters don't talk to each other during game and the cut scenes are short and boring.

They need to let that series die.

They need to let that series die.

Totally forgot about Gears of War, I bought 3, played 45 minutes and then was like WTF, this game was nothing like Gears of War 2 and then I was like maybe Gears of War 2 wasnt as great as I remember it to be and then never bothered to play the rest of 3 and sold it back.

Divinity 2 -- I loved the hell out of that game. Most shit was awesome and combat was fun. I got burnt out on two different playthroughs about 20 hours in when i get to the big tower. No idea why :(

Thats exactly where I stopped too. I think that it was the flying around, dragon, bs that did it for me.

Final Fantasy X-2 : The only final fantasy game that made me fall asleep. I tried so hard to give it a try here and there, but for some reason, I am unable to concentrate draw me in like the other games in the series.

Skyrim- Graphics are gorgeous, but the gameplay isn't for me.

Final Fantasy X-2 : The only final fantasy game that made me fall asleep. I tried so hard to give it a try here and there, but for some reason, I am unable to concentrate draw me in like the other games in the series.

Same! I usually play till max level then beat the game, but with X-2 I just gave up.

Skyrim- Graphics are gorgeous, but the gameplay isn't for me.

Same here on x2. What a snore feast and the whole "girl power" thing got old quick.

Red Dead Redemption....couldn't get into it.
Metro 2033.....bored me after 30 minutes.
Dead Island(PC)......buggy pile of shit.
Dishonored.....again, just found it boring.

This...I bought it and played a few chapters and it was just shit, flipped over to multiplayer an they had removed horde mode which was my favorite mode from the gears series. Gears went from a pretty good series to complete shit IMO.

Battlefield 3: These military shooters have become tedious and tiresome.
Modern Warfare 3: See above.
Assassin's Creed: Just a dumb game.
The Witcher: Clumsy combat.
Diablo 3: Pale, uninspired sequel to the classic Diablo 2 that I've played for hundreds and hundreds of hours.
Max Payne 2: Boring.

Same here on x2. What a snore feast and the whole "girl power" thing got old quick.
Ditto here. Tried to play it twice as I was interested in the story but it got boring fast. That and they utterly ruined the leveling system. Loved the sphere system in X

Also The Witcher. What a waste of money that purchase was. Combat sucked and the "story" wasn't all that much better.

I couldn't finish Battlefield 3's campaign, and I forced myself through a big chunk of it. Just wasn't interesting at all.

Did you win the lottery? I had way more free time in school.
I was lucky to get 2hrs/day of free time during school. Since 18 I work steadily 40-50hrs/week (including house/yard/car maintenance), the rest is free time for video games, music, art, friends, dating, etc... hmm, maybe I'm doing something wrong? I've no desire to get married and have kids, not just yet anyways... maybe when I'm REALLY bored and desperate :p

Seriously, IME if you choose to do something (video games, hobby, relationship, etc...) to fill a void so-to-speak, then chances are you didn't do it for the right reasons and you will likely leave it "unfinished". You should really want to do something in the first place, simply for the joy of it, and not expect it to somehow magically lift your life up and away into happiness.

I think this may be a big reason for disappointment throughout the world, we set up these expectations for things outside ourselves and get annoyed when they don't prove to fulfill our wishes. I'm not sure what the solution is, because for everyone it's different, but looking within ourselves for answers instead of outside ourselves, seems to be more fulfilling in the long run.

Assassins creed 1 - did not like the gameplay or care for it.
Bioshock 1 - too many problems trying to get it working correctly on win7.
GTA 4 - i need to load this up and finish it. it was a fun

I gave up on Final Fantasy pretty much as a whole. The last one I completed was X and I barely made it a few hours into 14. They lost me when they started having better technology to work with. Their ability to tell a story was lost when they were able to use voice acting and cutscenes as a crutch.

Shit, I forgot Fable 2.

I was in the mood for casual action gaming and still only made it a few hours into this. No substance.

gta4.. disliked the whole 'cell phone' thing, how easily cops detected the player, the dense city atmosphere (no countryside) and it seemed like a step back in some ways from san andreas. Also, the tedious online regisration to save, and it seemed to take forever to load anything... which lead to me pretty much abandoning the ps3 at the time.

Dead Island .. hate re-spawning enemies that come back to live a minute after you leave an area. Despite that I managed to finish Far Cry 2.

Fear 2... didn't measure up to the first one.

Red Faction 2... ditto.

I've been disappointed with many sequels compared to the originals. Consolized and unoptimized, quicksaves stripped out...

Final Fantasy XIII... did not finish, have no desire to ever play it again

Final Fantasy XII.. despite the fact I love the game mechanics, the story tends to lose me and around 3/4 through when I've become about as powerful as I can get, I lose interest. This is about the only game on the list I'd consider starting over from the start and finishing. The US version though, the international version strips out too many of the nice weapon/armor chests.

Just Cause 2... now I LOVE this large open world game, but it's very repetitive after awhile and I eventually get as powerful as I can and that's when I lose the interest to keep going.

Looking at other replies jogged my memory.. Witcher 2 I played... boring and repetitive, though fairly pretty game. Never finished. Will never play again.

Last edited:
I gave up on Final Fantasy pretty much as a whole. The last one I completed was X and I barely made it a few hours into 14. They lost me when they started having better technology to work with. Their ability to tell a story was lost when they were able to use voice acting and cutscenes as a crutch.
oh I dunno, the other non-mmo on the PS2 wasn't bad. (12 I think it was?)

however the PS3 ones are Final Fantasy in name only as they've gone to a linear map with basically no exploration...

I do have a little bit of hope with the upcoming X HD remake (not 7? Booo!) but one can already get like 80% of that from an emulator so I almost fail to see the point.

I do have a little bit of hope with the upcoming X HD remake (not 7? Booo!) but one can already get like 80% of that from an emulator so I almost fail to see the point.

I honestly couldn't stand FFX. The only reason I completed it is because it was a FF game and in those days I felt borderline forced to play it all the way through. That was back when we started to get the especially weird costumes, linear maps, so-so music, and bad acting that have plagued the last few. Plus, the entire concept of masquerading a bad card game as blitzball was irritating.

I know I come across as one of those bitter "it was better back in my day!" types, but I really do feel justified in this case. #8 sucked as a game, but at least made up with it via a cool setting and story. With X, we had neither. Personally, I'd love a remake of #6 in 3D.

Original Deux Ex: late to the game...graphics turned me off even with the mods. Some of the dialog was whack too ("now that's what i signed on for!"). That got stale real fast.

Xcom Enemy Unknown: rave reviews but i couldn't get into it after a couple of attempts. I think turn based strategy's just not my style.

Antichamber: realized what a stupid shit i can be. Had trouble with this game even with viewing some of the you tube videos.

Stalker: Again, graphics didn't grab me and after about 2-3 hours in, i thought it was boring. Maybe when it was first released...

Thief Deadly Shadows: see "Original Deux Ex" above.

And no, i don't stock up on games during sales. If i have a backlog at all, it's 2-3 games tops.

Original Deux Ex: late to the game...graphics turned me off even with the mods. Some of the dialog was whack too ("now that's what i signed on for!"). That got stale real fast.

Xcom Enemy Unknown: rave reviews but i couldn't get into it after a couple of attempts. I think turn based strategy's just not my style.

Antichamber: realized what a stupid shit i can be. Had trouble with this game even with viewing some of the you tube videos.

Stalker: Again, graphics didn't grab me and after about 2-3 hours in, i thought it was boring. Maybe when it was first released...

Thief Deadly Shadows: see "Original Deux Ex" above.

And no, i don't stock up on games during sales. If i have a backlog at all, it's 2-3 games tops.

Few people should play games from over 10 years ago that they didn't originally play. The expectations are always unreachable.

never finished skyrim - which in my eyes is one of the best games i've ever played...

never finished skyrim - which in my eyes is one of the best games i've ever played...

In all honesty...The game is much more fun to play if you avoid the Main Quest like the plague as much as you can. Of all the hours I've sunk in Skyrim, almost all were doing and redoing all the side quests and locations lots. The MQ I did once or twice, and that is about all the playthroughs it is good for.

Not sure what the Bethesda people were thinking making that pile the MQ, it honestly isn't that good or cohesive or immersive a story compared to just about any of the side quests or faction plot-lines that they wrote and scripted.

In all honesty...The game is much more fun to play if you avoid the Main Quest like the plague as much as you can. Of all the hours I've sunk in Skyrim, almost all were doing and redoing all the side quests and locations lots. The MQ I did once or twice, and that is about all the playthroughs it is good for.

Not sure what the Bethesda people were thinking making that pile the MQ, it honestly isn't that good or cohesive or immersive a story compared to just about any of the side quests or faction plot-lines that they wrote and scripted.

This. Short and pretty lame. The rest of the game was fun, at least as physical damage. Trying to be a spell caster was god awful.

GTA IV on PS3 - Got to the ending, picked the harder ending hated how far I had to go back every time I died.

Though I know I could eventually beat it, no desire.

World of Tanks - Tanks can go invisible? Like actually invisible, not like camo nets? Uninstalled. 2/10

Because they leave your view range. I'll admin it can get irritating sometimes, especially when a higher tier with longer view range starts chewin your ass.

Bioshock, all S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Metro 2033, Far Cr 2, Far Cry, Unreal. Each offered rather restrictive and generally bad shooting mechanics. Pity as STALKER and Metro games are truly amazing in terms of atmosphere that is actually convincing and sucks you in.

Notable mention: Portal 2 which I did finish but had to turn off the sound as all that non-stop boring talking was driving me crazy. What were they thinking?!?

I hardly finish a game. Sometimes I get stuck at some near impossible feat, or just some boring quests and say the hell with it. Usually the reason is though I prefer multiplayer over linear single player. I know multi can be pretty linear as well. However the jokes and randomness people do cannot be replicated by the AI and I find that more fun. Some games however are just cool as hell and fun. I loved VietCong the ability to blend into the environment was hella fun. Skyrim was a lot to look at and had some neat stuff. Have not finished that one though. Never finished either Half-life even though I liked them both. Last game I did finish was Sniper Elite 2. Was playing Space Marine before that and I think Im near the end, there are Chaos portals and the ground is in the air floating, keep dying, Not finished it.

For some reason, I never got back to Deus Ex Human Revolution. I guess I thought it was too Mass Effect-like. I usually finish all games on principle. And I couldn't finish the original half-life. Thank god for Black Mesa.

Lost Planet.. because it was terrible and I just couldn't stand it anymore.

Amnesia - combination of too scary and the fact that I got stuck at this place with a bridge I'm supposed to run and jump off.

Mass Effect 2 - played an hour and never played again-- this was 4 years ago. will retry this summer.

Witcher 2 - The first one was more captivating for me for some reason. Got through the first chapter and will try to finish this summer.

Arkham City - stopped somewhere after the freeze guy. Loved AA so wasn't sure why I never got into this. I guess I"m just getting older.

And I couldn't finish the original half-life. Thank god for Black Mesa.

I wasn't able to finish the original, and I'm stuck in Black Mesa near the end. Same reason too, game is just too goddamn long.

Mirror's edge, I got the console version for almost nothing, but it broke on the final level. Then I got the PC version later in a sale, and couldn't be bothered to replay everything.
Dead Island - Co Op partners all gave up.
Aliens Vs. Predator - Graphics bug.
The Witcher - Didn't like the combat. nor in the second, plus the main character is boring and has no personality.
Stalker - Just got bored getting to the good stuff.
DA - The "dialog" was tedious and dull and very poorly written, the combat was too simple and repetitive.
Brink - Because it fails at every way you can possibly fail, then invents some new ways to fail. In years from now humans shall look back and see this title as the primogenitor of new failings we don't yet understand.
Rage - it wasn't as bad as everyone made out, but when I swapped SSDs the save files were missing...
Quake 4 - Couldn't get into it.
Doom3 expansion - Same.
Alice: Madness Returns. Got some other game and played that instead.

For some reason, I never got back to Deus Ex Human Revolution. I guess I thought it was too Mass Effect-like. I usually finish all games on principle. And I couldn't finish the original half-life. Thank god for Black Mesa.

Lost Planet.. because it was terrible and I just couldn't stand it anymore.
that makes no sense because Black Mesa does not even the last levels yet...

I don't know how popular it is...
Tales of Vesperia.... 40 hrs... characterization kept me going for a while. I even watched the anime prequel.... but yeah - I'm so bored of it.

I've never produced any unfinished popular games personally. Nor finished ones for that matter.

Back