Popular games you can't get into.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
What are some popular games or series you just can not get into despite putting a significant amount of time into it? One that comes to mind is the Borderlands series. Now I am not saying it's a bad series at all, but even playing co-op with friends I just find it boring. The funny thing is, I can't even really say why, especially since I do like the FPS genre. Sure I can tell the gameplay/production values etc. are good, but for whatever reason it just doesn't click with me.

I have hundreds of hours into Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but I just can't play Skyrim (or any of those games) for more than about 20 minutes to save my life.

I dont get into most of the super popular games. I dont get into multiplayer at all so BF4 and the likes dont do anything for me. I tried Fallout 3 for a couple hours a couple years ago and havent fired it up since. Same with Skyrim. For somebody that has been gaming since the early 80's, my tastes have gotten pretty picky. The games I cant live without are the Mass Effect, Batman and Dead Space games. When Im playing games, chances are its one of those 3.

None of the Elder Scrolls games have been able to hold my attention for more than an hour or so. Horror games are another that I can't get in to. Though, I think that has more to do with just not liking them in general. I'm fine with horror movies but when it comes to games, I just can't do it.

I'm sure there's more but those are the most prominent in my mind.

MOBAs. (LoL, DotA(2), HoN, etc) I don't get it. It's like they took everything I loved about RTS games out, left only the crappy bits, and then convinced a bunch of foreign children to play it. The gameplay style and the communities are intolerable. I can understand them existing, but I cannot understand why they have international acclaim and are able to brand themselves an an "e-sport." Why are these popular?

Driving games bore me to the point of considering suicide. Also find no enjoyment in multiplayer, except for Diablo 1 and 2. I played those games with co-workers in long, overnight sessions back during the heyday of the internet/tech startup boom.

Skyrim, sadly I loved all of the former elderscrolls games but the lack of innovation and infact I'd say the game has devolved. I quit after about 30 hours a gameplay, and I don't know why I even went that long. After killing a dragon for the first time I knew I was horribly disappointed. The thing does not react at all to you attacking it and just falls over unceremoniously and turns into dust? What the hell is that? Where is modern animation? The story line was junk and contrived as well, they just don't give me any reason to care about the main story at all and the voice acting feels so terrible and forced. I tried modding the game, and that was the most fun I had with it overall, but I still felt no reason to play it at all.

I can't get into the Witcher 2 either, I don't know why but I can't stand the combat in this game. The controls feel clunky and it just seems like a non stop exercise in dodging, using signs, attacking and dodging away. I'm not sure if it's the combat or the poor response in the controls but I just can't fight my way past the first few hours of the game. I think I might just not be playing it long enough, but the controls just don't feel right. Weirdly I finished the Witcher 1 and really enjoyed that for some reason. Maybe I miss the combat stances or something, I'm not sure.

I can not get into Skyrim and New Vegas as well. I have them and I think graphics are great though.

Crysis, 1,2,3. I like FPS games but that whole "nanosuit" switching between modes just makes it clunky gameplay for me. I couldn't get into Fallout 3 with it's "VATS" either.

I couldn't get into Metro 2033. I didn't like the way the weapons felt and I hated the stealth sections. I couldn't get into the original Assassins Creed when it came out, but I haven't given that series a shot since.

I wasn't that into The Witcher 2 either despite enjoying the first game, but it gets a whole lot more interesting once you leave Flotsam. I think I still like the first one more though.

Dragon age, i have a bunch of hours into it, but I just can't finish it.

MOBAs. (LoL, DotA(2), HoN, etc) I don't get it. It's like they took everything I loved about RTS games out, left only the crappy bits, and then convinced a bunch of foreign children to play it. The gameplay style and the communities are intolerable. I can understand them existing, but I cannot understand why they have international acclaim and are able to brand themselves an an "e-sport." Why are these popular?

+1. My guess:

• increased choices
  • decreasing patience
  • widening, more generalized/diverse gamer base
  • worldwide gaming industry catering to age-agnostic gameplay (e.g., Why target 18-25 year olds when you can target 8-80 year olds)
People don't have the patience to invest in a game like they used to. They're demanding smaller and smaller learning curves and faster investment->reward payouts. Most aren't willing to invest hundreds/thousands of hours into learning the complexities of RTS'es, particularly when they can pull out "Flappy Bird" and get an insta-hit of gaming fix with hardly any investment.

Dark Souls. Unreasonable learning curve. I am sure it is good if you can make a certain amount of progress. But the fun is killed for many of us who can't get past the first 10% of the game even with a walkthrough.

Baldur's Gate. Another game with a unreasonable learning curve.

Actually I think both games would be fun if I had an experienced player sitting next to me telling me what to do for the first 5-10 hours. But my problem with both is that, even with detailed faqs, they are too complex and hard to figure out. They require types of knowledge or skills and if you don't have it then you miss out.

I can't hardly get into any game for very long. I slugged my way through Bioshock Infinite recently. First half was enjoyable. Second half was just so I could say I finished it. Same with Skyrim.

I find that in the rare instance I get some down time where I actually want to play a video game, none of them seem to hold my interest for more than 20 minutes or so.

I think I've out grown gaming, but I'm in denial.

Assassin's Creed... I've tried a couple of games in the series and just can't get into them.

Couldn't get into the new splinter cell. I really tried but ultimately hated it. I lost interest in the new Batman game fast as well. Diablo 3 on the other hand, I'm chugging away

I find that in the rare instance I get some down time where I actually want to play a video game, none of them seem to hold my interest for more than 20 minutes or so.

I think I've out grown gaming, but I'm in denial.

I felt like this recently until I picked up Dark Souls. It makes me feel like a kid again when I play it. First game to do that for me in years.

Assassin's Creed Revelations and beyond. I loved Assassins Creed 2 and brotherhood was cool with the expanded combat but I didn't like the zones in Revelations and felt like they just started adding more and more larger scale things and it took away from the personal nature of just playing the main character.
I don't like any sports games.
"Realistic" FPS's. I am more of a fantasy FPS and don't care to be hampered by stamina or not being able to carry as many weapons as I want.

For me, Far Cry 3 comes to mind. So far, at least. After the first couple of hours, haven't picked it up again.

I would say the GTA series now. It's strange though, as a teenager, I would play the crap out of GTA3 and Vice City on PS2, and then go to a friends house and LAN GTA2 on PC. I really enjoyed those games back then, but now when I tried to play GTA4 or GTA5, I just don't get that hook like I did when I was younger. I've maybe spent an hour in GTA4, and about 4 hours in GTA5.

Minecraft, DoTA2 (and the like), Dead Space, Dark Souls (I'd rather cut my arm off than to play that).

Assassin's Creed for sure.

Played the first one for around 2-3 hours and got incredibly bored. It looked great, but the gameplay just wasn't there for me. I've heard that the sequels are better... but the OCD in me wont allow me to play them without finishing the first.

These days, pretty much any game that's a grind (story wise) loses my attention pretty quickly. With the woman and kids, I don't have a whole lot of time to play games anymore... so I need games that I can pick up, play for a few hours, and pick back up a week later. Games like Skyrim (although I enjoy the TES series quite a bit) just don't work for that unfortunately. Borderlands 2, however, has been fantastic in that regard.

MOBA. Unfortunately it seems the industry prefers making MOBA to RTS these days.

Skyrim
Witcher
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty
Dark Souls
DotA 2
South Park and the Stick of Truth

New Vegas. It may be closer to old Fallouts and it was very funny at the times but I liked the Fallout 3 gripping atmosphere more, way more. After one playthrough I was done, which is little compared to multiple playthroughs on Fallout 3 + DLCs.

Far Cry 3 was boooriiing. Very pretty though.

Realistic military shooters. Which is odd because I love the WW2 and Nazi stuff. (Especially with a touch of fantasy. Cant wait for the new Wolfenstein!) Operation Flashpoint and such were hot shit back then and my friends loved them to death but they werent for me. In OP the moment commanding your troops came into play I was done with the game. Not my thing.

Halo. Played the first, didnt understand what made it so special and eventually gave up. I guess Half Life and such had spoiled me. Anyway, because of it to this day I dont understand why a lot of people jizz their pants the moment someone mentions Master Chief...

RTS games. Now this is confusing issue because I LOVE RTS games like Red Alert, Warcraft and Total War games but I SUCK at them. I always try to play them, love them but eventually there is a point where I get information overload and unable to handle them in time and get my arse kicked no matter what I do. So eventually I give up. Maybe I'm just slow, hence my love for turn based strategy games because I can take my time to process the information.

RTS games of any sort.
The majority of MMO's.
Games that force you to use stealth when you're more than capable of fighting your way out of any situation.

What are some popular games or series you just can not get into despite putting a significant amount of time into it? One that comes to mind is the Borderlands series. Now I am not saying it's a bad series at all, but even playing co-op with friends I just find it boring. The funny thing is, I can't even really say why, especially since I do like the FPS genre. Sure I can tell the gameplay/production values etc. are good, but for whatever reason it just doesn't click with me.
This is my exact sentiment with Borderlands. I think I have sunk around 60 or so hours into it. As soon as I got to the General Knox DLC, I said enough of this. Each subsequent mission had you running to the complete opposite side of the map (which is huge due to the vehicle integration in the design...) only to spend another hour or two killing the same set of enemies with the same AI. I just got so completely sick of it that I made the decision that I wouldn't even bother finishing the main quest.

I also really can't get into Skyrim after spending around 100 hours with it between PC and console. I bought it on the XB360 at first since I didn't have a working PC at the time. After the GOTY version came out I bought it on Steam during the Christmas sale because I figured there had been enough time for a good selection of mods and player-made fixes to make the game better. But I still couldn't really get into it. The last main quest I got through was the Graybeards. This is very odd because I absolutely loved Morrowind and Oblivion. I think I just may have gotten lost without true direction since I really like to wander around while avoiding the main quest, and the land area of Skyrim is a good magnitude larger than Cyrodiil in Oblivion.

Beyond that it has been really hard for a game to grab my attention nowadays. The last game to do so was Dark Souls, and Diablo III currently has all my attention. I think I like ARPGs a lot because it is the kind of game you can just step into and not worry about anything but killing things. I still play a lot of Titan Quest every now and then, too.

Back