Popular games that you just...hate

Why so much hate for Halo?

It was hated completely by PC gamers since they had been playing FPS for decades before. Great story lines, engaging play, online, and mods where already staples of the genre. Eventually HALO is released for consoles and people worship it like its change the entire gaming genre - it didn't. It was just overzealous console players that hadn't played a FPS before. You can't really blame them though for not having experienced the FPS genre before. I believe this game strikes the pivotal point between the veteran gamers and newer generation mentality on the gaming industry. But give credit where credit is due, Wolf3D, DOOM, and a handful of others are the real grandfathers of the genre.

HALO series no doubt. I hate the community and the players. Plus it should have been released on MAC/PC like it was suppose to not a game system (which people seem to forget) I used to watch the original MAC/PC trailer all the time on my PC.

Twilight Princess - ugh. This franchise has gone more stale than a loaf of bread stuffed behind a radiator for a year.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl - the supposedly awesome online play lagged like all get out (assuming you could ever get into a game). It's a shame how far it fell from being awesome on N64. Would have been great without Nintendo's typically shitty online.

Metroid Prime Series - a generic FPS with lousy controls, getting good reviews because it's Metroid.

Company of Heroes - just not my style of RTS I guess.

Left 4 Dead - simply way way way too short.

Any online game that never works out of the box - most recent standouts include Gears of Exploits 2 and Castle System Crashers.

LittleBigPlanet - Beautiful graphics, charming environments and atmosphere, love the idea of user generated levels, I appreciate everything they were trying to do, but actually playing makes me want to kick puppies and put babies into blenders. The way sackboy handles is atrocious, you never know how far, how high, or even IF he'll jump. Sometimes he speeds forward at mach 3, other times it's like he just doesn't want to move. This was the first retail game I bought for my PS3, and I regret it wholeheartedly.

CoD4 & 5 well zombie mode is fun.. WoW. Any form of guitar hero. I don't hate it but I don't really like L4D..

All console FPS except goldeneye. Seriously how the hell do people play these hooked up left 4 dead on my Xbox360 and threw up all over myself on just how bad it played and looked.

COD all of them

Starcraft- loved war2 I guess space isn't my thing.

Grand Turismo - not so much the game just not a huge fan of racing

Mortal Kombat - Never liked it lame one move attacks.

Resident evil 4 - didn't like the new style

Metal Gear all of them

GTA all of them

Does anyone hate Mario Bros 3? I don't know a single person who doesn't like that game.

Does anyone hate Mario Bros 3? I don't know a single person who doesn't like that game.
I wouldn't call it hate, but the only Mario Bros game I actually finished was the first one, and I found I didn't care about the others. This is a symptom of being primarily a PC player in the 90s after being primarily a Commodore 64 player in the 80s (Microprose FTW!). :)

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!! YOU.... ARE.... FAGS!!!!!! "

Heh, forgot about that one. I used to hate the genre, but then I bought rock band, and the drumming is fun in spite of how much I hate myself for enjoying it.

Halo(all). Take an excellent concept game, turn your enemies into teletubbies that bleed blue and purple, aswell as carebears and purple(lol) creatures that shoot feathery darts and colored ice.

/QUOTE]

I remember the first time I played halo, after hearing about how great of a game it was, and how serious it took the story and being a shooter, and the first time I saw those muppet ass enemies shrieking silly catch phrases and running around like teletubbies as you shoot them I thought I must be playing the wrong game.

What?

But I think I know what your trying to say but you're missing the point in your own posting:

you said critics who gush in reference to halo. Well fine. Not really harsh.
you said LPB has billions of bad user designed levels. ok
people who like mgs are 15 years old.

I was saying that the pseudo intellectual drivel that passes for story and cutscenes in the series appeals to a juvenile mind, not that anyone who likes the games is 15. Could have certainly explained it better, but I was ranting :)

Mortal Kombat or any other button mashing fighting game

MK button mashing? Try playing it right ;)

I agree with Bioshock tho....hyped up to hell, got bored really fast. Nothing new just plodding along the same shit time after time.

Any RPG.....especially FF series. I can't think of a more boring way to pass time...in fact I'd rather watch paint dry then play an RPG. Maybe it is something to do with my gaming sessions are few and far between nowadays and you need the time of an unemployed waster to get anywhere in them...who knows :D

Gran Turismo series (or any other 'realistic' racer)....boring, slow drivel, if I wanna play a racer I want excitement, I wanna take corners at silly speeds on two wheels...I don't give a flying fuck how real it is, if I want a real driving experience I'll go out and drive a car thank you very much :) Give me WipEout HD or Motorstorm any day. Oh what I'd do for an updated HD Daytona/Scud Race.....

That's all for now :D

All console FPS except goldeneye. Seriously how the hell do people play these hooked up left 4 dead on my Xbox360 and threw up all over myself on just how bad it played and looked.

I really don't get how ppl can not like modern day fps yet love Goldeneye on the n64, I've noticed that alot around here :confused: It is either rose tinted glasses or self punishment IMHO.....yes in its day it was awesome...today it is a sluggish, unplayable turd. Has not aged well at all and looks extremely blurry, angular and messy.

Halo2 & 3 .

i thought the stories were terrible, the coop was nothing compared to the original halo.

I'd have to say to WOW. Its the not the game itself. It's the effect it has on people that play it. Not to mention the $10+ dollars it costs per month to continue playing it.

If you don't "get" Halo, you probably didn't play it on Legendary difficulty. Completely different game on that level. Halo on normal is a lame-ass cakewalk.

Why so much hate for Halo?

Cause it blows.
Hard.
1 was good fun, especially the split screen multiplayer...sniping with a pistol FTW.
Then 2 came. Story sucked and online was okay, but rattled with little 10 year olds screaming at each other and using that combo that didn't get fixed for a while (plasma and something).
Don't get me started on 3.

I've never really liked any kind of real-time strategy game. That includes everything from Warcraft/Starcraft, C&C, etc.
I start of trying to do everything too perfect and then I get either bored or frustrated after 4-5 minutes.

World of Warcrap (not a console game, but i had to include it)
Alone is the dark
Skate
most sports games by EA
i could list about a hundred more, but that would just make me a complainer.

I HATE Katamari Damacy. I think its a POS game that people only like because its named something stupid, its japanese, and its the cool thing to do. Seriously, i played that piece of crap about 20 minutes and it was about the dumbest game I have ever seen.

This.

Also,

WoW
Unreal Tournament (all)
The Sims (all)
Call of Duty (all)

Halo series
The Sims

Im sure I could think of more but I dont even like being in the room while theses are played.

Half-Life Series
Metal Gear Solid Series

To be honest, I don't actually hate either of those series. I've played every installment in both and enjoyed myself doing so. What I hate is the pretentious fanboys who refuse to acknowledge either series has its share of flaws. Like I said, I've enjoyed all of the games, but I don't think I'd place a single one of them in my "top games of all time" list. The stories in both are considerably lacking, IMO. The G-man is what irks me most about Half-life. He's basically a "get-out-of-jail-free" card for whatever plot hole they've written themselves into at this point. With MGS4 it's the redundancy and lack of editing, a lot of which can be attributed to poor localization for western audiences.

With MGS4 it's the redundancy and lack of editing, a lot of which can be attributed to poor localization for western audiences.
Actually, I'm pretty sure you can chalk it up to the free hand Konami has given Kojima over the years.

I'd have to say Halo 3. First 2 were decent, but 3 was more of the same and hyped to the stars.
I don't agree with the sims tho. The series is designed to be the way it is and isn't for everyone. I love FPS, RPG's and the like, but sometimes it's just nice to bury yourself in another world that you aren't killing, sneaking or blowing up stuff in.
And with the Sims 3 coming out in Febuary, you'll be able to walk around the town, and the sims can do more on their own. (eating, sleeping, bathroom, ect)
That said, i liked doom 3 to a point, but got too predictable like someone else posted earlier.

ill have to add any RTS since age of mythology... i dont know why i cant get in those anymore.

I don't agree with the sims tho. The series is designed to be the way it is and isn't for everyone.
I don't think the point of the thread is about whether we agree or disagree with particular choices - after all, given the sales and critical success of many of these games it can be assumed that most of the games mentioned aren't hated generally.

If someone hates The Sims, it's a personal opinion with which you can't really reason. Whether it achieves the goals intended is irrelevant to one's "hatred" of a game.

Yeah, I took the thread to just mean games you don't like and nothing anyone says will change your mind. Hell, maybe you don't even have a reason.

Yeah, I took the thread to just mean games you don't like and nothing anyone says will change your mind. Hell, maybe you don't even have a reason.

That's what I meant by this thread basically.

Just because I hate halo or MGS doesn't mean I'm right that it's a bad game, because obviously someone is seeing something in the millions of sales and reviews. The thread is more about when you just can't stand something that's probably by all measures a good product.

Hate is such a strong word.....

However, I couldn't really get into Fallout 3 or the Stalker Series.

Games with weight or inventory systems piss me off.

Any MMORPG
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3
Might and Magic series (not including heroes...)

and a special place reserved for....
Final Fantasy VII
the nadir of japanese rpg game and ff series,
angsty pretty boy main character? check.
even prettier boy antagonist bent on world domination/destruction for no good reason? check. homoerotic tension between them that give hope to all yaoi lovers out there? check.
sweet girl with no substance only to serve as the Woman in Refrigerator? check.
big breast fighter chick? check.
racial stereotype (especially in the english version)? check.
support characters with little to none devlopment? check.
convoluted plot with throw away symbolisms? check.
crappy ending?....wait.....how about a you figure it out ending.
crappy gaiden games made just to grab $? check.
generating way too many new players that think FF7 is the greatest thing since sliced bread? check.

Grand Theft Auto, Final Fantasy because of it's inherent irony based on the mere fact of a 13th iteration, I like every blizzard game except WoW, I hated The Farce Unleashed, Cliffy B but actually enjoyed Gears, hate Madden, hate NHL, or just about any EA based sports game, The latest Prince of Persia, I hate mundane missions, go hear kill this bring me a package talk to jamie and get 500 dollars/gold pieces. Although I liked it in Morrowind and oblivion... because of story progression. Hate FFVII but loved FF I and III.

halo and resistance. both launch titles on both systems. only reason there popular is cause they were the only good games on launch.

both terrible.

halo and resistance. both launch titles on both systems. only reason there popular is cause they were the only good games on launch.

both terrible.

Oh yeah F Resistance, never liked any of them... and Tim Tebow;)

There are many, but if I had to say the ones I hate the most, I'd go with World of Warcraft and the Grand Theft Auto series. Why WoW? because it has set a bad standard for MMORPG's. Play Anarchy Online and you'll see what I mean. WoW compared to Anarchy Online is a childs game. AO is so much deeper when it comes to the skill system and game complexity. Why Grand Theft Auto? Because it's a mindless killing game that runs at subpar framerates that everyone thinks is Gods gift to humans.

LittleBigPlanet - Beautiful graphics, charming environments and atmosphere, love the idea of user generated levels, I appreciate everything they were trying to do, but actually playing makes me want to kick puppies and put babies into blenders. The way sackboy handles is atrocious, you never know how far, how high, or even IF he'll jump. Sometimes he speeds forward at mach 3, other times it's like he just doesn't want to move. This was the first retail game I bought for my PS3, and I regret it wholeheartedly.

Wow I feel the same way. I thought hte game looked fantastic and was a great concept, but the controls are so fucking hard to play I gave up. Not to mention that the lag, and the awful AWFULl headset support/skipping in the game. It was just annoying after a while. I should sell it before the value goes down.

As for my contribution to the thread:
Halo, CoD, and I can't fucking stand WoW with a passion. I lost a lot of friends to that crap and when I played it I felt like punching the wall because it was so boring.

There are many, but if I had to say the ones I hate the most, I'd go with World of Warcraft and the Grand Theft Auto series. Why WoW? because it has set a bad standard for MMORPG's. Play Anarchy Online and you'll see what I mean. WoW compared to Anarchy Online is a childs game. AO is so much deeper when it comes to the skill system and game complexity. Why Grand Theft Auto? Because it's a mindless killing game that runs at subpar framerates that everyone thinks is Gods gift to humans.

Yeah but when you're angry want to punch someone GTA comes in handy :D. I played GTA1, skipped 2, played 3, skipped Vice City, San Andreas and went right into 4 without wasting my money and actually liked it a bit.

Back