Popular and successful games you just don't care for

t1k

Limp Gawd
So what popular, successful games do you just not care for? And why? And I'm not talking about games you have some interest in but have never gotten around to playing...just popular games you are aware of but have no or very little interest in playing.

For me one of them is the GTA series. I have not even once played GTA: SA, GTA 4, or GTA V, and have really no interest in doing so. I grew up close to LA in the 90s and early 2ks so I think that has a lot to do with it. Me and a friend or two would routinely go skateboarding and exploring all over the place. The video game version of urban exploration has just never held an ounce of novelty or appeal to me, though I understand why others might enjoy it.

Sekiro - too much learning involved for me, I want to jump in, then jump out, I don’t want to have to know about precise timing all the time cause it can sometimes be a month between play sessions for me. This goes for the street fighter series too.

The Witcher series- while pretty, the story moves really slow and it seems like there is a whole lot of fedex or go kill this thing quests. The controls were abysmal. I tried to like it but got bored. Feels like WoW all over again.

GTA (series) - I played the heck out of gta3, but after that the game was just too big. I don’t have hours to pour into a game that is so open ended.

The Metal Gear Solid games - found the story too convoluted, and the gameplay very linear (at least w the earlier games). I liked the idea of a 'stealth genre' but feel that it wasn't until Splinter Cell came along that a game got the 'stealth genre' right.

I just mentioned Skyrim in another thread but at least I finished that once so I guess I don't dislike it as much as Shadow of Mordor, I tried to play it a couple times and never got more than a few hours into it before just giving up because playing it felt like a chore.

I would add games like fortnite and PUBG but I've never actually played them and they're aimed at a completely different audience so they don't really count other than as proof that I'm old.

Taco never gotten into witcher series. Guy looks handsome though.
Never batman either. Nt sure why.

SeymourGore mate, please don't defile MGS with your statements. Taco feel hurt.:(💔🖤 Those will be eternal masterpieces, especially 1-4. Nd 5 too.

Sorry, sometimes I forget how much words can hurt. If it helps, I thought the original MGS was one of the prettiest console games during that era - much prettier than Ocarina of Time.

I generally like open world / map clearing games (AC series, Mafia III, Tomb Raider, Shadow of Mordor), but could never get into the Far Cry series, except the first one, which was really more of a first person shooter anyway. I was very late to GTA V, but have given it a try, but didn't feel much traction with it. Same with Witcher. Might be a time thing. I only have time for one 100 hour map clearing play-through a year :)

I'm pretty sure there was another similar topic not that long ago. But I don't pass up a chance to bash popular titles.

The Witcher series, tried all three. Probably Witcher2 was the closest to not sucking, but Geralt's personality made sure I did not want to finish the game.

Batman Arkham Knight: I tried it once, and felt nothing. Average action game. Maybe because I'm not into the superhero / comic genre to begin with. People have been raving about spider man on console, I'm certain it would be the same story for me, so I don't even want to try that.

Assassin's Creed: All games up to Origins. It was a big miss for me, played AC1, found it to be a big empty and boring sandbox, then AC2 was more of the same. Skipped the rest of the series until Odyssey which I Loved, so encouraged by that I tried Origins, but Bayek, was so bland, that if someone had made a mod where he is replaced with a plank of wood that would make it a more interesting game.

Max Payne 3: I think rockstar ruined max payne, they made the character a self loathing sack of turds, and the game was so immersion breaking with it's presentation that it was appalling. And forced failure upon forced failure is just no fun for the player.

Need for Speed: Underground. To many this was the entry point into the franchise, to me it was the franchise killer. It is the polar opposite of what NFS had meant to me. Since then all games in the series ranged from atrocious (the ones made by criterion) to mediocre with some big flaw that made them hard to enjoy for me.

MGS series: I didn't really play any of the series until MGSV. But that I found to be a pretentious monument to a self infatuation junkie. I was only skeptical of Kojima's talent before playing MGSV, after it, his name has become a curse word for me. I don't want to touch any project he is even remotely attached to.

Battlefield series: I don't know who plays these games, they are a joke. I mean the single player campaigns. Compared to the big rival its not even a meaningful comparison they are so bad.

Doom 2016: Mechanically it's a perfectly polished fast paced shooter, I just found absolutely no reason to come back to it after the initial hour.

Bioshock: It's an underwater reskin of system shock, shows nothing new, and fails to utilizie its setting in any meaningful way. The novelty of big daddy / ltitle sisters wears off after the first encounter, and the whole narrative hinges upon a very contrived twist that doesn't make any sense. Just as Bioshock infinite. Because in both cases the narrative deliberately hides things from the player that should be obvious to the player character. And this in my opinion makes the twists self serving and annoying rather than brilliant as I heard many call them.

Reactions: t1k
like this
Oh dear where to start

MGS, tried the first one on PS, not my thing at all

Assasins creed, thief, basically any stealth game

Souls like games, I play games for fun, not punishment

GTA/RDR nice world, boring gameplay

Fortnite is also not my thing despite that I love apex legends and had some fun with PUBG b4 that.

COD multiplayer too grindy

Minecraft

Also most of the recent FPS games coming out of bethesda/zenimax, RAGE2, Wolfenstein Youngblood and Doom eternal all pale in comparison to their predecessors.

Only two that I can think of that are within genre's I like:

Doom 2016 - Visually nice to look at but the game didn't hold my interest
Cities: Skylines - I wanted to like this bad but it didn't feel like there was any real challenge to it

There are a bunch of other games I don't like but I'm starting to realize I just don't like the genre i.e. Animal Crossing, Dead Cells...

like this
There are alot of static titles out there Asssasins Creed titles I'm going to stay away from they all blend together. Tomb Raider is the same way. Batman games good looking games but confusing as hell investigations. Modern Doom games anything after Doom from 2005. Call of Duty is monomania MW wasnt bad though but Cold War is sick leave work from home mess that stamped 2020. Far Cry anything after 2 just isn't for me I kinda like New Dawn but I hardly even played the game.

What do I like? Dark Souls stuff spin off like Code Vein Mortal Shell RPGs like Larains BG. Some UBI stuff like Ghost Recom wildlands Watchdogs 2. Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 but not a fan of Contracts too hard but I got to Act 5. Duke Nukem Forever was awesome. Ultima Online Dark Age of Camelot. Battlefield games are good as well. Borderlands 1 2 3 but some much glitter and gold wrecks immersion with 3. I liked COD GHOSTS, AW, WWII, MW. I never played anything before Ghosts except COD 2 but that was singleplayer. I like Grim Dawn, Shadow Awakenings looking forward to Diablo 4. DEUS EX fo the mood alone and gameplay is different switching between 3rd and 1st is awkward but it's slow action which I think Cyber Punk 2077 is going to play out like.

Last edited:
like this
MGS, generally, in fact pretty much any JRPG would fit as well. I just cannot get into the over the top ridiculous writing most of them have.They usually look fantastic, but I cannot sit through one for more than a few minutes at a time.

The more recent dumbed down, funneled action, unlock based FPS that have been prelavent the last few years, COD, BF, etc.

like this
Any Call of Duty Mutliplayer games. Just not my idea of fun, and I usually just get annoyed and shut it off anyways. The single player campaign is another story though; I recently enjoyed the reboot of COD Modern Warfare.

Any recent Battlefield game, 1 and 5, last BF game to play was 4 and I enjoyed that one.

The Division 1 and 2: PVP/ Dark Zone. Never liked PVP with that game, PVE is another matter though, don't mind grouping up for missions,etc although I usually just roll solo.

Last edited:
like this
Anything outside of Steam that requires me to make an online account to play. No, I'm not creating a password and giving you my email.

Taco never gotten into witcher series. Guy looks handsome though.
Never batman either. Nt sure why.

SeymourGore mate, please don't defile MGS with your statements. Taco feel hurt.:(💔🖤 Those will be eternal masterpieces, especially 1-4. Nd 5 too.

Eh, MGS 1 and 3 are amazing, 2 and 5 are good. 4 can cease existing.

But I completely understand that Kojima's writing is a bit...

Yeah...

I've never been into the Battlefield games...I'm not a fan of team based games, I much prefer deathmatch/pvp...I've always wanted to try BF for the graphics but the MP turns me off

Any 3rd person view shooter.

I can’t put into words how much I think they suck - all of them. They seem to be made for 7 year olds.

A game that I should like, but just cannot:
Skyrim.
How is it so popular? It's a game I should have liked, it's first or third person, set in a fantasy world, with dragons!
But man, is it so boring, and tedious, and clunky. I just cannot get into it.
Another is the Bioshock series
I was heavy into HL2 & the episodes around the time this game came out. Going from HL2 to Bioshock just felt like a step backwards. This one was also boring, and felt clunky compared to it.
I did try to revisit it a couple of months ago, as it was a PS+ game, and I just couldn't get into it. I love horror games, and mysteries, but it was just, "meh" to me.

A game that isn't anywhere near my interests, but they have a lot of them: Final Fantasy.
I played the first couple back in the day, the turn based play I didn't get into. Then, I remember when 7 came out and everyone seemed to love it. I gave it a try, and it was terribly boring, with too many cutscenes, the weird Japanese style with weird animals and giant swords, and gameplay is still turn based. Yeah yeah, it had delved into deep story territory, and supposedly inspired other games since then, but it just wasn't, and still isn't my cup of tea.

Witcher 3, Skyrim - I bought both the games and played a bit but I didin't like them.

Halo series - Never had an original Xbox and built my first gaming PC in 2005 a couple years after it came out. I built my PC pretty much just for HL2, but also played Far Cry and then Doom 3, then picked up Halo and thought it was absolute garbage next to those previous games. I guess after I got PCMR'd (for that time at least - I've regressed back a bit), I couldn't stand a console-centric slow shooter like that at the time and it felt so clunky with poor level design to me.

And yeah, any BR type game nowadays with the exception of Warzone that I played for a couple months with some friends.

Modern shooters. I used to play shooters all the time, Tribes, Doom, Quake, Unreal etc. Wolfenstien Enemy Territory was the last one I played. Completely lost interest in the genre after that.

Anything resembling an RTS, Call of Duty game, or or whatever Overwatch is considered. I'm not into Battle Royale games, but then again, I've never actually even played one. They just don't interest me right now. While a bit more niche, you'll never catch me playing an anime-style fighter either.

Halo is generic shit that's mostly polished to a mirror finish

could never get into witcher, even though i like the story. game felt off to me.
any dodge-rolls style game. cant stand it.
also, never once touched WOW, seemed wrong while being a WC fan.

All MMORPG's, I can play them for a bit with friends but I just don't get the appeal. The gameplay loop is dull (cycling cooldowns to maximize effectiveness, boring quests that largely have no impact on the game world, interesting content gated behind levels and guilds), Stories are detached from the gameplay, and I just get nothing out of them.

Most driving games, the physics just annoy me, either go full mario cart or full racing sim.

Most GTA game as they have the worst car physics, very person clunky controls (I appreciate they are going for realism but it ends up plodding), and have way to much filler between interesting missions and set pieces.

X-Com 2, not that I don't care for it, but its a tablet version of XCom, dumbed down and simplified both in the strategic and tactical phase.

Minecraft, I get it, just not for me (rather play dwarf fortress).

COD and Battlefield, both faded shadows of former glory.

The Metal Gear Solid games - found the story too convoluted, and the gameplay very linear (at least w the earlier games). I liked the idea of a 'stealth genre' but feel that it wasn't until Splinter Cell came along that a game got the 'stealth genre' right.
I agree. I played the first Metal Gear for PS1 and liked it. But afterwards, the series is not even fun at all. After playing SC: Chaos Theory (Still one of my favorite games) I just thought, why didn't MGS do this?

Back