Popping and loud distorted sounds on X-Fi FPS with W7 64-bit?

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys recently I got a X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS pci card and can't seem to get it to work on my rig for the life of me.

When the card gets installed it'll work for a couple minutes and then when I go to listen to music, the sounds will either speed up insanely and then die off or itll be really loud and distorted the whole time. This happens in a span of 5 minutes. Also at times I will hear random poping sounds or distorted sounds when just sitting at the desktop doing nothing.
When the card dies or goes crazy i have to go into the device manager and uninstall/reinstall it for me to have any kind of sound for a couple minutes

Any ides as to wtf is going on here? :confused:

Specs are in sig with the only change being my mobo, the mobo in sig died on me and got sent out for RMA. Current mobo is a Gigabyte M68M-S2 that im using until the other comes back. Also only running 4gb of mushkin now due to only 2 ram dimms being available.

Thanks in advance for all comments and suggestions.

Last edited:
is this card new or used?
you're using the Creative drivers, I assume?

what are you listening to music with?

is heat a potential issue? (is it like right against your 4890 or something?)

can you test the card in another system?

is this card new or used?
you're using the Creative drivers, I assume?

what are you listening to music with?

is heat a potential issue? (is it like right against your 4890 or something?)

can you test the card in another system?

Card is used.

I've tried the creative drivers, daniel k and pax xfi.

I've tried to seat the card right below the 4890 and also in the slow below that with the same issues.

Working on getting the card tested in another pc right now.

Card is used.

I've tried the creative drivers, daniel k and pax xfi.

I've tried to seat the card right below the 4890 and also in the slow below that with the same issues.

Working on getting the card tested in another pc right now.

used makes me want to declare the card as damaged either due to shipping or previous use :eek:

if you've run through multiple drivers, that shouldn't be an issue (unless you've got some conflict caused by other software or hardware that we're not seeing)

heat shouldn't be the culprit if position doesn't matter

lets see how it works in another PC (that'd tell us if its a conflict with something else, or if the board is just buggered), hopefully its a conflict you can root out, and not the board itself

Back