pop-ups are a pain

computermod14

Limp Gawd
is there anything i may do to stop these pop-ups coming up besides downloading somthing, and if the only choice is to download somthing, then what is somthing that works good that is free. thx

try mozilla. choose your flavor: regular or firefox. i think i heard someone also suggest the google toolbar once, but i have no personal experience with this.

I've used both Mozilla and the google tool bar. Both work, but I prefer Mozilla.

Switching to a different browser is *NOT* the definitive answer to pop ups. You may already have spyware/malware on your computer and switching to <insert your favorite browser here> will not help.

1. Use Adaware or SpyBot to scan your system first.

2. Install and use Google toolbar

3. If you must try another browser, then choose one that incorporates some type of pop up blocker such as Avant Browser

Moral: IE = popups.
...and an array of other problems. It is good advice to clean up your rig with the above mentioned programs before you do much else.

Personally, I like Firefox.
I switched, and never looked back.

Get it here.

I use the google toolar. It is the best thing that has hapenend to IE.

If you want to stick with IE, then get the Google Toolbar. Or you can try MyIE2 or Avant Browser because its really IE with a few extra options (Tabbed Browsing, pop-up blocker, etc.).

What I have done is made a switch from IE to Mozilla FireFox and it works flawlessly. I just downloaded a few plug-in's and extensions so I can really get better control over my FireFox and I think its 1000x better than IE and it's stable too.

I've droped IE and never looked back. There are only 2 sites I can think of off hand that don't like Mozilla.

if you are talking about popups from windows messenger...

go to control panel, administrative tools, services, scroll down to messenger, then right click and hit properties, set the startup type to manual and then click stop for service status

kiss those popups bye bye

Originally posted by wayne
if you are talking about popups from windows messenger...

go to control panel, administrative tools, services, scroll down to messenger, then right click and hit properties, set the startup type to manual and then click stop for service status

kiss those popups bye bye
Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop being homocidal.

While this may work to get rid of windows pop ups, it is the worst thing you can do. I suggest you get a firewall ( zonealarm, or at least the builtin crap in xp ).

Switching to a different browser is *NOT* the definitive answer to pop ups. You may already have spyware/malware on your computer and switching to <insert your favorite browser here> will not help.
You make a good point, however, once your system is clean, it would be extremely wise to switch away from IE.

Originally posted by XOR != OR
You make a good point, however, once your system is clean, it would be extremely wise to switch away from IE.

Currently, the *only* reason I use Avant browser is for the tabbed browser windows and pop up blocker. If IE had those same features and performed just as good a job as Avant, then I'd scrap Avant.

This is one of those topics that no matter what you tell the user to do, the user can still do alot of damage to a computer without realizing it.

Originally posted by SJConsultant
This is one of those topics that no matter what you tell the user to do, the user can still do alot of damage to a computer without realizing it.
How so?????
Getting rid of IE, and cleaning up an already messed up rig has to be a step in the right direction.

Originally posted by mosin
How so?????
Getting rid of IE, and cleaning up an already messed up rig has to be a step in the right direction.

Cleaning up is a step in the right direction yes.

Getting rid of IE, I have to disagree.......

If the user continues to surf websites and download various so called "plugins" for websites that contain spyware / malware / adware then it does not matter what browser the user has on his system, he / she will still get "infected".

Same goes for the shareware and freeware that contains spyware / malware / adware crap.

You can only help a user so far, then the user has to wise up and actually practice safe computing habits in order for their systems to not get screwed up.

If the user continues to surf websites and download various so called "plugins" for websites that contain spyware / malware / adware then it does not matter what browser the user has on his system, he / she will still get "infected".
True, but IE is famous for its vulnerabilities. I would like to know how many patches address various vulnerabilities in IE, and I would like to know how many times the word vulnerability appears at Microsoft's IE site. Most of all, I would like to know how many patches and updates are yet to come that address various vulnerability issues in the world's most favored web browser. :rolleyes:

If Internet Explorer was a car, you would probably be dead.
There are other browsers that are so much safer that it is almost a no-brainer.

(Sorry boss, I couldn't help myself.) ;)

Cleaning up is a step in the right direction yes.

Getting rid of IE, I have to disagree.......

Same goes for the shareware and freeware that contains spyware / malware / adware crap.

You can only help a user so far, then the user has to wise up and actually practice safe computing habits in order for their systems to not get screwed up.

who installs plugins!!! Holy shit batman! That is just asking for trouble. Sure knewb users might do that, but [H]ard users? Click NO, repeat after me "Click NO".

Only plugins that I click yes to are ones that I initiate. You know those programs that won't let you download until you click yes. Do it a few times it goes away.

Cheers,

Originally posted by Eigtball
who installs plugins!!! Holy shit batman! That is just asking for trouble. Sure knewb users might do that, but [H]ard users? Click NO, repeat after me "Click NO"

:p After they get my clean up bill, they are usually more open to being "educated" about what's safe and what's not, but even that does not deter some...........

:p After they get my clean up bill, they are usually more open to being "educated" about what's safe and what's not, but even that does not deter some...........
I heard that. I started charging $115 per hour...same rate I charge for copier networking and repair. That gets the $399 Dell people off my case.

No offense to any of you who have a $399 Dell. Consider our rantings here as freebies....even when we don't agree. :D

Back