pop-up for GameSpot.com notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

xorbe

[H]ardness Supreme
While browsing [H] forum today, I got a pop-up notification in my browser asking to allow for push-notifications from GameSpot.com ... I guess this is the start of the decline of [H] forum?

xorbe

[H]ardness Supreme
No. That is you having malware.
That seems unlikely on my openSUSE Linux box. Well, I'm just the messenger. No idea why the [H] forum did that. Hopefully just a momentary glitch.

This page:
https://hardforum.com/threads/borderlands-3.1978325/page-6
It asks every time on a second Linux box. Sorry, it's not me, it's [H].

There is a gamespot reference in the page source. Somehow they are getting notification push request onto the [H] page.

Last edited:

dvsman

2[H]4U
There are embedded Game spot videos and whatnot linked on that page. I'd wager some of the links are wonky is all.

Reactions: xorbe
like this

DrLobotomy

[H]ardness Supreme
Im browsing with Edge on Win10 with no blockers at all. If something is jacked I would see it FOR SURE.

Something has snuck into your browser.

xorbe

[H]ardness Supreme
Im browsing with Edge on Win10 with no blockers at all. If something is jacked I would see it FOR SURE.

Something has snuck into your browser.
What about if you try with Firefox? Again, this is happening on 2 separate Linux boxes that don't have external software installed, only the defaults straight from the openSUSE repo. One of them is behind a corp firewall that has definitely not browsed any dark corners of the web. It's something to do with that embedded Gamespot video, and they are somehow sneaking in a notification-push request through the [H] page. I suppose it's possible that Gamespot is abusing something in Firefox.

DrLobotomy

[H]ardness Supreme
OK. Browsed with Firefox on my 2008 server and no ad, BUT, there was a little box up in left hand corner asking if I wanted notifications from gamespot.com and of course I clicked NO and that was the end of that.

So, You need to either not accept those alerts or reconfigure your browser to not auto accept notifications.

When will my check show up? :ROFLMAO:

[Spectre]

[H] Admin
Staff member
I'm not getting anything in Windows 10 and Opera. I guess it could be something from the video someone embedded and Firefox specifically, but it isn't hosted from the forums.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Looks like it is the code from Gamespot, nothing to do with HardOCP.

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
GameSpot removed from embedded media tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.