pop quiz : NVIDIA to ATI card install

dslrjunky

2[H]4U
I don't want to reformat yet as I'm waiting for my new hard drive to arrive, I have a nvidia installed before, but now bought an xfx 5870, so what is the best way to clean install a new vga card without reformatting, I used drivercleaner before but now it seems its not free anymore. Any suggestions guys? Thanks!

Uninstall nVidia.

Turn off computer.

Remove nVidia card

(optional: Sell on [H])

Insert ATi card

Boot

VGA mode activates, deal with the low res until the drivers finish installing

(windows 7 doesn't need to reboot/will automatically find drivers)

Reboot

Uninstall nVidia.

Turn off computer.

Remove nVidia card

(optional: Sell on [H])

Insert ATi card

Boot

VGA mode activates, deal with the low res until the drivers finish installing

(windows 7 doesn't need to reboot/will automatically find drivers)

Reboot

now I know how you got your 2k+ posts....thanks.. anyway those are the basic, anything more to clean the nvidia footprints or once i install it all nvidia vga footprints should be gone?

There are about 4-5 nVidia drivers to remove, up front.
3D, Physx, System Tools, etc

Windows 7 plays very well with the transition, Vista, will take a reboot to be sure.

I swapped (2 way) a nVidia (8500gt) card from a Vista system with a ATi (hd4350) card from a 7 system, these were the exact steps I took on the Vista system, the previous holder of the nVidia card.

EDIT: there is no additional stuff left behind, in terms of game incompatibility or registry bootup error on either system.

Last edited:
I knew it I was gonna fcuk it somehow, for some reason vista won't boot up properly, it would finish up loading up the bios and up to the green progress bar before the windows logo, for some reason I get stuck there and can't move forward..no clicking sound I even tore apart my system, now I'm running XP on my spare drive don't want to reformat yet waiting for my win 7 copy..

I've done this countless times, the default install/uninstall utillities provided by Nvidia and ATI really are quite thorough. curious that you managed to damage the thing somehow.

Anyways, boot into safe mode, that should boot the standard vga driver anyways, I suggest you re-install your old drivers, reboot, remove them, swap cards, and turn it back on.

lol I love ATI drivers. They keep you on your toes! What Jeremyshaw said above should have worked fine and is exactly what I have done on three machines running 5800 series cards. Ive changed drivers probably 6 times on this Win7 install with no issues.

I knew it I was gonna fcuk it somehow, for some reason vista won't boot up properly, it would finish up loading up the bios and up to the green progress bar before the windows logo, for some reason I get stuck there and can't move forward..no clicking sound I even tore apart my system, now I'm running XP on my spare drive don't want to reformat yet waiting for my win 7 copy..

LOL... its like winning the lotto when the drivers go right huh? I would go into safe mode and remove the driver. Reboot into safe mode again and hit the system with ccleaner and reboot again. Then try reinstalling the driver. Make sure no Nvidia junk is left in control panel. Things will go smoother with a fresh install... well .... should go smoother :D

Thanks didn't have time or patient to figure it out so I just reformatted the drive in time for my win7.
Now I have another issue, this time I have random flickering and horizontal lines, checked my refresh rates and resolution and it seem that my LCD is not the problem as I've tested it out on another machine and problem didn't exists. I installed all win 7 updates and tried ati drivers 9.9 and 9.10 still the same result anyone experienced this? I don't OC and temp seems to hover around 35~40c need help

Cards can still go bad, under normal temps.

Still:
Is your PSU enough? (what model)
Can you test out the card on a different slot (if present)
Any motherboard BIOS updates / chipset drivers?

We'll hang around.

Back